Why become a member? ×

Led Zep heartbreaker sound

pockethammer

I’m looking for a pedal to give me something similar to the sound JPJ has on heartbreaker for a couple of tunes in the set.  I’m using a Sandberg Cali TM 4 a Genz Benz shuttle 9.2 & 4x10 cabs, no other effects. Budget isn’t really an issue. Recommendations please. Thanks in advance.

John 

Edited by pockethammer

I think the subtle wobbling effect on Heartbreaker is a Tremolo effect, but whether it was a pedal, studio effect or one built into the amp (some vintage guitar amps had them built in) I don't know. The warmth of the tone is obviously a valve amp (were there any non valve amps available at this time?). 

Unfortunately I don't have any recommendations of tremolo pedals as I don't use them but that is what it sounds like to me. Unless you're after a drive pedal, in which case you're entering a minefield blindfolded xD

• Thanks 1

We gig this one and I just dig in with my valve pre amp peadal and valve rig and it doesn't sound right to my ears, I think the cheapest option would be a fuzz pedal, something like an MXR  bass fuzz deluxe, but I can't really justify it for one number, I hear there was a lesley speaker involved, and a pick, someone recommends a digitech ventura vibe as well, there's some stuff here 

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-end/836166-john-paul-jones-studio-sound.html

and here

Edited by skidder652003
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

There`s a thickness & thud to that sound that just doesn`t seem to be around nowadays.

The TC Electronics MojoMojo at lower gain does a great vintage mid rich drive sound that will give you a similar vintage driven bass tone (without the wobble) and can also be picked up for less than £50 new. Might be worth a look if you don't fancy lugging about a monster all valve amp. 

I hadn't thought of a Leslie speaker, but now it's been mentioned it's so obvious :facepalm:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Osiris said:

I think the subtle wobbling effect on Heartbreaker is a Tremolo effect, but whether it was a pedal, studio effect or one built into the amp (some vintage guitar amps had them built in) I don't know. The warmth of the tone is obviously a valve amp (were there any non valve amps available at this time?). 

Unfortunately I don't have any recommendations of tremolo pedals as I don't use them but that is what it sounds like to me. Unless you're after a drive pedal, in which case you're entering a minefield blindfolded xD

+1 I agree that this seems to be more tremolo than chorus. Zoom MS-60B will get you a fair way down the line with either, and won't break the bank.

• Thanks 1

I always thought it was generally known that it was a Leslie. I used to have an Option 5 Destination Rotation pedal that got fairly close. Not that the original recording did, but being able to slow the speed down for the verses and ramp it back up again for the choruses sounded great and is something most rotary speaker sim pedals are capable of.

The DLS Rotosim looks great but costs serious beans and is pretty big, both downers if you're only using it for this one song. You could get close enough with an overdrive combined with tremolo, chorus or phaser though. Some choruses are better than others at replicating this effect, I seem to remember when searching many moons ago people recommending an old Arion chorus pedal for rotary sounds. Worth a search to see what cheap options turn up!

12 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

I always thought it was generally known that it was a Leslie. I used to have an Option 5 Destination Rotation pedal that got fairly close. Not that the original recording did, but being able to slow the speed down for the verses and ramp it back up again for the choruses sounded great and is something most rotary speaker sim pedals are capable of.

The DLS Rotosim looks great but costs serious beans and is pretty big, both downers if you're only using it for this one song. You could get close enough with an overdrive combined with tremolo, chorus or phaser though. Some choruses are better than others at replicating this effect, I seem to remember when searching many moons ago people recommending an old Arion chorus pedal for rotary sounds. Worth a search to see what cheap options turn up!

ive got an old pearl phaser that I never even thought of using, will give it a try thanks!

9 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

£350 for one song? Really?

On 06/01/2018 at 07:29, pockethammer said:

I’m looking for a pedal to give me something similar to the sound JPJ has on heartbreaker for a couple of tunes in the set.  

Budget isn’t really an issue. Recommendations please. Thanks in advance.

John 

:facepalm:

• Haha 2

Ah, also the sound of underpowered 412 cabs being pushed within an inch of blowing up. Sounds like there is very little separation anywhere in that studio.

If it is a Leslie then let it go. Just use some sort of distortion. With that amount of string noise, sounds like the the bass is tuned down.

• Thanks 1

Other rotary options:

• EHX Lester K / Lester G
  • Pigtronix Rototron
  • Keeley Dyno My Roto
  • Strymon Lex
  • Boss RT-20
  • Tech21 RotoChoir
  • DigiTech Ventura 

That Ventilator sounds awesome, I'm gonna have to see how it compares to the others. I really liked the Destination Rotation I had except the drive circuit dropped too much low end, but I could deffo see one of these replacing both the phaser and chorus on my board if I found the right one.

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Thanks 1