Why become a member? ×

Pick up advice / suggestions?

spiltmilk_2000

Ok, so I’ve just ordered another custom bass. Whoops!

I’ve decided I’d like to go mm pickup in the bridge with a j in neck position but don’t know which manufacturer to go for. On my other custom bass I went Aguilar pups (p/j) and I love them but the builder seems a little non plussed with the aggy mm pup. He suggested Delano’s as a better alternative but I know nothing about them. Anyone have any experience of either? What are your conclusions? Anything else I should consider? 

In case it sways your decision I’ve ordered a fretless (ebony) neck and a fretted maple neck in case I don’t get on with fretless :-) it’ll have a noll preamp... 

thoughts??

thanks all...

russ

You should get what you want. . . not what this guy knows about! 

All pickups come with schematics and anyway, he should know all about Aguilar pickups by now!

I've had several basses with Bartolini installed and always liked the sound. Nordstrand get very good reviews but my current Sadowsky JJ pickups and boost only pre amp is one of the best sounds I've heard on a bass so far. 

To be fair he loves aggy pups and fits them on many of his builds but just said to his ears their mm isn’t his fave. He just said the Delano’s sound better to him. He’s not trying to sway me either way but just giving his opinion. I know and trust Aguilar... have their p/j set in in my other custom from this builder, two heads and 4 of their cabs. It was nailed on I’d go with them but I just thought I’d see if you guys agreed with him or not. The nordy quad coil looks interesting though... 

pups are always the toughest decision! Guess it’s a nice problem to have though.

Look at and listen to Sandberg TM basses, they invariably have Delano’s with a Glockenklang pre amp in them. Delano’s are more modern sounding and a bit more HiFi.

if you want something a bit more vintage and a bit more mid range look at Haüssel pick ups.

Ulyate pick ups are making some noise across the water, and the have a new TicTac range with slightly different magnets.

i’ve also been interested in Joe Barden pick ups, but they do not do an MM one as far as I know, which is the same for Lindy Fralin pick ups.