Jump to content
Why become a member? Read more... ×
Commercial Opportunities Read more... ×

Recommended Posts

AFAIK that´s the company who supplied Wal Basses with the Midibass system which has been released in the 80s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same fella took it to Peavey after Wal. Saw the Wal version getting demo'd at BMF 88/89,couldn't make head nor tail of it.

Don't know why it got handed to me,near run a mile xD I've had the Peavey version almost a year,should have run a mile that day too. Still can't make head or tail of it. Insides are scary too.

 

midibase guts.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like this newer iteration has much less bulky hardware; on the bass body the only differences are the output jack and the LCD on the top horn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put some RMC piezo pickups and electronics in your bass, these are the best ones you can buy with zero latency. Factory fitted by F-Bass, Fodera, Ken Lawrence, Zon, Klein, Conklin, Roscoe, Sadowsky, Lull, Dingwall, Leduc, Drozd,... to name a few.

http://www.rmcpickup.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Quatschmacher said:

It looks like this newer iteration has much less bulky hardware; on the bass body the only differences are the output jack and the LCD on the top horn. 

You must remember, the midibase near 27 year old tech. Same principles. Friend of mine at Peavey worked on the fret triggers.

Thing's built to last,I was in a car smash the day I picked it up. It was in a gigbag on the passenger seat when a crazy old guy tore the passenger wing off with his Audi. Bass came off better than I did :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot Godin and that it works with any fretless instrument, check Alain Caron using the RMC system !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a heads up that's the RMC system isn't actually MIDI but basically a polyphonic system that can be easily converted to MIDI. It uses a 13 pin output which is comparable with many systems. 

I have the Roland version in two instruments and use them to drive a dedicated GK unit rather than anything MIDI - so you get all the benefits like polyphonic effects but none of the latency. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed, like any other system it needs the MIDI conversion card which is the Poly-Drive connected to the standard 13 pins output and then to your midi device. The difference between the hexaphonic Roland GK pickup and the RMC polyphonic piezo is the latency which is close to 0 in the piezo based systems or optical based systems like the Lighwave.

Try the low B latency on a Roland  GK and you'll understand why the MIDI bass master named Alain Caron uses now only the RMC's... He also used the excellent fret recognition based system, but it was impossible to use on fretless bases as the MIDI data is electrically recognised and it won't work with nylon strings either. And he stopped using the Roland GK because of it's too high latency.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s no latency on the GK either. It works just like a magnetic pickup; there’s no conversion going on so the sound is instant (at least when using Roland GR system interfaces, like the Vbass which I know he used/uses)

The only benefit with the piezo based system is the lack of an extra pickup but that’s never bothered me. 

A lot of Caron’s work is recorded using the VB99 and original Vbass before that, which people assume is MIDI but is in fact basically like having an effects pedal for each string. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used a GK3 with a VBass and there was latency on the notes lower than the E. The GK3 had been fitted by Christophe LEDUC who also made the MP-5555 for Alain Caron in the early days of MIDI basses (0,33 second latency on the low B !).

caron.jpg.866930c0a57ab17bb1c6623edb07adef.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I don’t know what to tell you because all it does is transmit the signal from a magnetic pickup to a 13 pin output in exactly the same way a normal pickup does, but with all strings into one output. There’s no latency because nothing is being changed at all, there’s no processing on board, no triggering etc. I can only assume your external unit wasn’t right. I’ve been using GK basses for years and if there was even a tiny bit of latency I wouldn’t touch them. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s correct- there’s no latency in a pickup. The latency arises when you try to use the signal from that pickup, analyse it for volume and frequency and then send an appropriate midi note message for it. A GK pickup/ Vbass setup does no midi conversion so no latency but also no actual midi.

The Industrial Radio/ Peavey/ Wal setup uses frets split for each string with resistor chains all the way up the fingerboard for note sensing. So again, no audio analysis is performed for pitch sensing- just for note volume information so very low latency and consistent across the entire fingerboard but does actually send midi.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looked at that FretTrax video with Victor Wooten - very impressive.

A lot of ideas taken from the Industrial Radio system like using a different notes to send patch changes and left hand only triggering. The big innovation here is that it doesn't need split frets - there must be some sort of analysis going on to determine which string was fretted for each note, including multiples. Also noted from their website that it does not do open strings - only fretted. It's a long time since I hooked my Wal up to the midi interface but I'm pretty sure it does open strings as well as fretted.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not working for open strings would be a bit disconcerting. I've emailed to clarify and to ask if it works with a zero fret, will post reply if I hear back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ikay said:

Not working for open strings would be a bit disconcerting. I've emailed to clarify and to ask if it works with a zero fret, will post reply if I hear back.

The Frettrax will not trigger on open strings. The triggering is done by the string making contact with the fret.

By contrast, the industrial radio does trigger open strings. This is because (in one mode) the string touching the fret only gives the pitch information; the triggering comes from the sensor in the bridge which detects string movement.

You might be able to use a zero fret on Frettraxx (only as a non-midi note) but only if that fret is not electrically wired up to the others (otherwise it’d be always on).

Edited by Quatschmacher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Here's the reply from FretTrax about triggering open strings and zero frets:

"Thanks for getting in touch and for your question.  I get that question a lot but unfortunately the answer is 'no' - a zero fret doesn't help at all.  I already know, without a zero fret, when a string is open - a string is open if it's not fretted (that's how I turn off a previously fretted note).

So, I could turn on open notes easily without a zero fret - the issue is knowing when NOT to turn them on and when to turn them off.  Otherwise, every open string would ring all the time unless you have a mechanism to SELECTIVELY turn on/off open notes.  And, that mechanism is 'pluck detect' where a right hand pluck triggers a note - and that note can be open or fretted.  That feature is in the works and then FretTraX will have opens, velocity, etc.

All the videos were done with fretted notes only.  Some pretty wild things can be accomplished.  But, when we add pluck detect (still quite a ways away), things will get even wilder!"

Edited by ikay
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There seems to be a lot of confusion is this thread about how the different methods work and what they actually do.

First off there is no pitch detection system that has zero latency. You cannot change the laws of physics which say that you need a minimum one full wave cycle to detect the pitch of a note. In practice, with guitars and basses because of the rich harmonic content of the notes produced by a plucked string, you actually need more than a single wave cycle to guarantee pitch stability, and the very best systems will need a minimum of one and a half cycles plus some clever programming along with it being set up the suit each player's individual style.

This would normally rule out using any bass instrument as the latency for all but the highest notes is going to be easily audible. What generally happens with musicians who persevere with these systems is that they learn to play very slightly ahead of the beat to counteract this built-in latency.

So what has happened is that a couple of alternative systems have been developed to try a get around the pitch detection latency. Industrial Radio use fret sensing to derive the pitch combined with trigger detection from plucking the string.

The Roland V System and the Line6 guitar and bass use signal processing of the individual strings to produce their sounds, so there is no pitch detection needed. The Roland V System in particular works very well until you try and use the MIDI output to drive an external synth, at which point you end up with all the pitch detection problems outlined above.

On top of that in practice all the different systems will require you to modify your playing technique to some extent in order to get the best out of them. Some more than others. The further  you go from plucked string type sounds the more you will need to modify how you play the instrument, to get anything usable out of it.

IME having been seriously interested in using guitars to produce synth type sounds since the first serious commercial models appeared in the late 70s, I've still to be even 75% convinced by any of them. The guitar is for me a very tactile and immediate instrument and many of those qualities fail to translate adequately to synth-type sounds. If I want to produce synth sounds I still find it easier to use a keyboard-base synthesiser. Even with my very rudimentary keyboard technique I can still get results faster and more consistently than try to use a guitar (or bass) to achieve the same thing.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a Chapman "The Grid" version of The Stick.

OzO43Lm.jpg?1

The built-in Roland GK pickup senses the Melody register strings. 13-pin cable into Roland VG-99. Job done. Admittedly, it does feel odd to be triggering low register sounds from plain steel strings.

In my opinion, the best feeling tracking was always the Roland GR-300. Over the intervening decades, I have had the dubious pleasure of trying numerous pitch-to-MIDI systems. I would rather use one of the Electric-Harmonix "9" series pedals.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Funkfingers said:

This is a Chapman "The Grid" version of The Stick.

OzO43Lm.jpg?1

The built-in Roland GK pickup senses the Melody register strings. 13-pin cable into Roland VG-99. Job done. Admittedly, it does feel odd to be triggering low register sounds from plain steel strings.

In my opinion, the best feeling tracking was always the Roland GR-300. Over the intervening decades, I have had the dubious pleasure of trying numerous pitch-to-MIDI systems. I would rather use one of the Electric-Harmonix "9" series pedals.

Looks cool - how about a second 13 pin output and pickup for the bass register, into a VB99 ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BigRedX said:

There seems to be a lot of confusion is this thread about how the different methods work and what they actually do.

First off there is no pitch detection system that has zero latency. You cannot change the laws of physics which say that you need a minimum one full wave cycle to detect the pitch of a note. In practice, with guitars and basses because of the rich harmonic content of the notes produced by a plucked string, you actually need more than a single wave cycle to guarantee pitch stability, and the very best systems will need a minimum of one and a half cycles plus some clever programming along with it being set up the suit each player's individual style.

This would normally rule out using any bass instrument as the latency for all but the highest notes is going to be easily audible. What generally happens with musicians who persevere with these systems is that they learn to play very slightly ahead of the beat to counteract this built-in latency.

So what has happened is that a couple of alternative systems have been developed to try a get around the pitch detection latency. Industrial Radio use fret sensing to derive the pitch combined with trigger detection from plucking the string.

The Roland V System and the Line6 guitar and bass use signal processing of the individual strings to produce their sounds, so there is no pitch detection needed. The Roland V System in particular works very well until you try and use the MIDI output to drive an external synth, at which point you end up with all the pitch detection problems outlined above.

On top of that in practice all the different systems will require you to modify your playing technique to some extent in order to get the best out of them. Some more than others. The further  you go from plucked string type sounds the more you will need to modify how you play the instrument, to get anything usable out of it.

IME having been seriously interested in using guitars to produce synth type sounds since the first serious commercial models appeared in the late 70s, I've still to be even 75% convinced by any of them. The guitar is for me a very tactile and immediate instrument and many of those qualities fail to translate adequately to synth-type sounds. If I want to produce synth sounds I still find it easier to use a keyboard-base synthesiser. Even with my very rudimentary keyboard technique I can still get results faster and more consistently than try to use a guitar (or bass) to achieve the same thing.

You got it right, but nobody will ever read it as they claim there is no latency whatever system used. And you are right again, every MIDI bass player is anticipating that latency, and again just ask Alain Caron why he stopped playing MIDI bass for years...

The other solution is to buy a SynthAxe, but there are only two guys able to use it : one is dead, the other is crazy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

You got it right, but nobody will ever read it as they claim there is no latency whatever system used. And you are right again, every MIDI bass player is anticipating that latency, and again just ask Alain Caron why he stopped playing MIDI bass for years...

The other solution is to buy a SynthAxe, but there are only two guys able to use it : one is dead, the other is crazy...

Yes but you said there is latency with a GK + Vbass, which there isn’t :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/01/2018 at 22:49, ped said:

how about a second 13 pin output and pickup for the bass register, into a VB99 ;)

That would require;

  • a new slot to be cut in the polycarbonate for a second GK pickup.
  • a GK hexaphonic pickup to be modified to pentaphonic and re-cased with the required string spacing.
  • space on the edge of the instrument to hang a second GK-3 or -3 control body.

To be honest, I like the bass register half of The Stick for its own sound. More importantly, I do not possess a Roland VB-99.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By pilotbicycles
      Having a bit of a clear out of effects. An initial post for interest - I will be out of the country until the 27th June , but have these all packaged and ready to ship, so can get them posted as soon as I'm back. Up for sale are the following:   Fox Pedals Killface - £100 "Klon"- style drive pedal for bass, that you don't see too often. A few clipping and drive options on this one. Has a pretty thick and beefy tone. Comes with original box. This one has only seen home and studio use.   Sonuus Wahoo - £120 Wonderful sounding and supremely versatile filter effect. Incredibly creative and inspiring pedal to use, with all sorts of functionality and ways to modulate your filter (lfo, pedal, envelope, pitch...etc), as well as some nice built in drive. Comes with original box. Home and Studio use only.   Dano Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive V2 - £30 A phenomenal clone of the Paul Cochrane TIMMY pedal, with a few clipping mods added. This was my very first always-on drive pedal - I ended up with a V1, 2 V2's, and an original TIMMY... The V2 is what lasted out for me. Still a go to for low gain and "transparent" drive.  Seen plenty of live use.   TWO NOTES Le Bass Preamp - £160  SOLD Great sounding valve preamp fro Two Notes. Has pretty much everything you could want, including two channels, that can be switched between or blended in parallel, or ran in series, to cover all manner of tones. It also has a headphone amp built in for home practice, and also a decent speaker emulation. The drive on this is fantastic and it's pretty much the best all-in-one pedalboard preamp solution I have encountered. Comes with EU/UK power supply and original packaging.   Earthquaker Devices Pitch Bay - £120  SOLD A wonderful polyphonic octave up & down paired with dirty distortion. Sounds wild. Home and Studio use only.   MWFX Judder - £200   SOLD Phenomenal box from MWFX, capable of all sorts of stutters, chorusing, delays, feedback bursts, phasing... and all manner of time based modulated madness. All sorts of ways to control this things; manually, LFO, envelope triggering, and then all sorts of way to modulate it. Surprisingly intuitive to use and a wonderful performance tool. Much more than a stutter pedal (which seems to be what it's most known for) - my favourite uses are as triggered feedback that almost sounds like reverse reverb, or as a chorus with dynamically controlled depth (i.e. the harder you play the more it detunes). I have two and need to let one go.   Fuzzrocious BDPG - £90   SOLD This one is pink with the lettered graphic. Fantastic drive and preamp pedal. Versatile and dirty JFET preamp pedal -can be as dark or clanky as you like, but pretty much always dirty. Wonderful pedal. Seen some live touring use.   Empress Compressor - £150   SOLD Wonderful compressor from Empress. Seen live touring use from the comfort of a rack drawer.   Source Audio Bass OFD - £65 SOLD Insanely versatile drive pedal - does convincing models of a whole host of drive circuits. Surprisingly intuitive to use. Fantastic single drive pedal to cover all of your Overdrive, Distortion and Fuzz needs! Seen some live touring use.   TWA Great Divide 2.0 - £250 SOLD Fantastic octave and synth effect. From the first run of the 2.0 model. Comes with original box. Only seen home and studio use.   Malekko B:Assmaster - £120 SOLD One of my favourite fuzzes ever. It rips. Enough Said. Comes with original box. Seen live touring use.     Add £5 for postage, or can arrange pickup from Belfast or London (constantly travelling between the two).    


    • By TAzMilitello
      FOR SALE this awesome Godin A5 Ultra SA Natural SG Fretless EN. Original bag included.
      LAST PRICE DROP TO 1100€ = (about 990 GBP) SHIP COSTS EXCLUDED!
      Great aesthetic conditions (4/5), perfect functional conditions (5/5)!
      I sell because I bought a fretless solid body + 5 strings double bass. Great possibility and convenience of having a magnetic (like Jaco) sound and a very deep and truthful like double bass (Piezo) acoustic sound.
      Foreign Currency: about payments different from the Euros currency you can pay by clicking using this ►Transferwise bank transfer◄ link.
      I am NOT INTERESTED IN EXCHANGES/PERMUTS. Thank you! 😉
      Tests of this bass here:
       
      The new semi-acoustic bass of the Godin house has various sound possibilities. Thanks to the piezo pickup with the single transducers for each bridge saddle and with dedicated preamp on the body, the Low Profile Lace Sensor magnetic pickup with side volume and tone controls and 13-pin midi bass with integrated controller. Separate outputs Magnetic (passive), Magnetic + Piezo selectable (Active), and the famous 13 pin (like the GK-3B but with piezo bridge) with its dedicated controller for access to the computer and the synth. And anti-feedback system.
      Specifications:
      Rock Maple neck
      Fretless Ebony keyboard
      Radius of the keyboard: 16 "
      Scale: 34 "
      1 13/16 "deep to the nut
      2-rooms Silver Leaf in maple to the body
      Solid spruce top
      Lace Sensor Slim Low Profile magnetic pickup
      Volume control and lateral tone for the magnetic pickup
      Saddles custom Godin Transducers and custom preamp 3 band with blend (Magnetic / Piezo)
      Midi 13 pin + controller and effect level
      Natural Semi-Gloss finish
      Bass is located in Italy (Sicily). No problems for international fast shipping (following prices including anti shock packaging):
      To Italy: 30€ (1/2 working days) To Ireland/Great Britain: 60€ (4/5 working days) To Germany and Austria: 45€ (3/4 working days) To Spain: 60€ (4/5 working days) To France: 65€ (4/5 working days) To Lithuania: 75€ (4/5 working days) To Romania: 80€ (4/5 working days) To Belgium, Luxembourg and the Netherlands: 65€ (3/4 working days) To Czech Republic (CZ): 80€ (4/5 working days) To USA and Canada: 110€ (6/8 working days)  
      Feedback and photos here: 
       
    • By vegas_hooker
      Im looking to get ahold of a Moog MF Delay and a MF Trem. Preferably the v1, in all black. V2 is fine though.
      If you have one youre looking to sell then please let me know. 
    • By waveydavy
      For sale Orange OB1 300 rack mounted amp head. Comes in 2U spider rack case.
      Picked this up in a trade recently. Nice bit of kit, just not my thing. I definitely prefer class d for practicality.
      class A/B all analog signal path.
      Biamp inspired design- blendable overdrive.
      3 band active eq.
      photos to follow
      spec from Orange-
      https://orangeamps.com/products/bass-guitar-amps/ob1-series/ob1-300/
      looking for £375 Ono 
×