Why become a member? ×

Ibanez preamp died

davegriffiths91

Hey guys.

I was playing an Ibanez Sr506 out on my last contract but unfortunately the preamp has died. I took it to my local guitar shop and they have confirmed it’s definitely the preamp and that Ibanez no longer have these preamps available to replace it. So basically I need get a preamp to replace it.

I got the bass for dirt cheap from Facebook so I don't really want to invest a lot into it, the John East, Aguilar etc route isn't really viable for me.

My question is, are there any cheap 3 band pre amps with pickup blend out there?

Cheers

Dave

2 minutes ago, davegriffiths91 said:

...My question is, are there any cheap 3 band pre amps with pickup blend out there?...

I tried 'bass preamp 3-band blend' in an Ebay.co.uk search, and found loads. I had to change a preamp on a bass a while back, and bought a fairly inexpensive one from Ebay. It works just fine. Is it as good as an East preamp..? Probably not, but it does exactly what I wanted it to do, no problem.

Hope this helps.

Just now, Dad3353 said:

I tried 'bass preamp 3-band blend' in an Ebay.co.uk search, and found loads. I had to change a preamp on a bass a while back, and bought a fairly inexpensive one from Ebay. It works just fine. Is it as good as an East preamp..? Probably not, but it does exactly what I wanted it to do, no problem.

Hope this helps.

I did the same and found the Artec ones coming up alot. 

Is this the same one you got?

11 minutes ago, davegriffiths91 said:

I did the same and found the Artec ones coming up alot. 

Is this the same one you got?

I'm afraid I can't remember for sure, but the name seems familiar (old age, you see..! :$ ). At such prices, though, it's really not much of a financial risk. It's more the hassle of installation, but I found my one to be easy enough, and wouldn't have baulked if it had turned out to be less good than it did.

Decent preamp are Artecs. Got a couple in the drawer and 1 in a Peavey T-40. I've also used the Ming/Belcat ones sold on eBay for £8 - £10,they do the job just fine but I've had the shaft pull free from the pot when changing knobs so if you fit one ? Leave well alone afterwards :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, davegriffiths91 said:

Hey guys.

I was playing an Ibanez Sr506 out on my last contract but unfortunately the preamp has died. I took it to my local guitar shop and they have confirmed it’s definitely the preamp and that Ibanez no longer have these preamps available to replace it. So basically I need get a preamp to replace it.

I got the bass for dirt cheap from Facebook so I don't really want to invest a lot into it, the John East, Aguilar etc route isn't really viable for me.

My question is, are there any cheap 3 band pre amps with pickup blend out there?

Cheers

Dave

If you want dirt cheap... on AliExpress they have some for $5-$10 (yes, that little)... I tried one and it definitely does the job. 

edit: I can't vouch for their longevity 'though :D mine worked when I sold the bass...

Edited by mcnach

11 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Might get one of those for the iceman. Is it heavy? I am guessing it isn't. Could do with something that weighs a few pounds in the tail of the iceman!

If you mean the Artec it's a meaty 48g inc 9v battery but the Ming is heavier at 55g with battery,

• Like 1

I picked up 2 of the Artec preamps - they look pretty good.

I got one for the iceman (not for the weight though!), so I can have vol / balance / bass-treble (but mainly so I can have a preamp).

Then it occurred to me, I have a sr5005 which had the original 3v electronics where the treble stops working (as it does everywhere I can see on the net about it). I might as well replace the board which I was looking to fix with something else, and the Artec preamps look about the same build as the original, so I got a 3 band one for that, and I will just use the 4th control for nothing (or maybe a passive tone).