Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz skunk stripe repair

bigbassstu

Hello Basschat folks,

I have Fender Mexican Jazz that I've acquired. There has been an untidy and crude attempt to repair a loose skunk stripe which has resulted in the stripe sitting proud of the back of the neck and gaps down the length.

Any advice on either routing out the current skunk stripe and replacing or who may be recommended to carry out such a repair would be appreciated

If it proves uneconomical to repair I may just gently sand the stripe flat and re-varnish.

Thanks in advance folks.

Unless the skunk stripe looks a dogs dinner, I'd imagine this is simply a small amount of movement in the wood that's happened due to poor seasoning of the wood at the time of manufacture.

There's a danger here of making it worse by digging it out and trying to do more than is needed. Simply sand down the wood in the back of the neck to make it all smooth. Use coarse paper to start and work down to really fine grit, to get it really smooth. Don't use a sanding block, use the sheet in your hand, so you end up with a shape that's good to the touch - not that you should be changing the shape to any great extent.

When you've sanded it, re-finish with lacquer. Job done.

1 hour ago, Grangur said:

He should be able to do it himself.

Aye - I guess it's a matter of whether there is something untoward underneath, and the quality of finish...

(And the time & effort required!)

Edited by prowla