Why become a member? ×

Olympic white jazz with a difference

Geek99

1 hour ago, hrnn1234 said:

how light is it? I've scraped a body already for this. the neck I have is quite solid and the bass as a whole felt really unbalanced. I've been eyeing these online to buy as a replacement, but if it's going to be the same as what I discarded already, it makes no sense.

really very light - I can lift it with one hand - neck dive isnt an issue for me. Cost and look are - needed to be cheap and needed to look different. 

2 hours ago, Geek99 said:

does clicking on this work ? 

onedrive

If you allow scripts from Akamai Technologies it might.

I don't trust third party scripts however.  Nowadays, less than ever before.

Are you aware that Basschat has a substantial amount (500MB) of storage for member's files now?

6 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

If you allow scripts from Akamai Technologies it might.

I don't trust third party scripts however.  Nowadays, less than ever before.

Are you aware that Basschat has a substantial amount (500MB) of storage for member's files now?

I was not, thank you

attached everything to date

20180228_082959924_iOS.jpg

20180228_083017893_iOS.jpg

20180228_083050989_iOS.jpg

20180228_083111331_iOS.jpg

20180228_083129544_iOS.jpg

20180306_122315000_iOS.jpg

20180306_122342000_iOS.jpg

20180308_110707000_iOS.jpg

20180309_145159000_iOS.jpg

20180312_124553000_iOS.jpg

20180312_124620000_iOS.jpg

20180312_124637000_iOS.jpg

20180316_083151000_iOS.jpg

20180316_135434000_iOS.jpg

20180316_135444000_iOS.jpg

20180316_135746000_iOS.jpg

20180316_140147000_iOS.jpg

20180316_140157000_iOS.jpg

20180316_140252000_iOS.jpg

20180322_082926000_iOS.jpg

20180323_082725500_iOS.jpg

20180323_082728669_iOS.jpg

20180228_082933867_iOS.jpg

20180228_082939278_iOS.jpg

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, discreet said:

Interested to know how effective it proves to be.

can't be worse than free-hand 

Not drilling holes till it’s grain filled so the filler doesn’t catch 

Edited by Geek99

Have you got any 600 grit sterated aluminium oxide paper? It's ideal for final preparation of wood before applying finish and flatting off between coats. I got mine from eBay. If you apply paint too heavy you can always knock it back with a bit of flat sanding. 

I'd also consider drilling the holes before grain filling. You don't want to knock any filler out round the holes. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Norris said:

I'd also consider drilling the holes before grain filling. You don't want to knock any filler out round the holes. 

Actually I agree. What I do is drill then finish. But I plug the holes and cavities first with tissue and tape. If you're filling and/or painting and/or wet-sanding you don't want any moisture in the holes - it will expand the wood and blow your finish.

Edited by discreet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Norris said:

I avoid wet sanding completely :) I use micromesh pads dry, and wipe the dust off regularly with a monofibre cloth every few strokes

I thought I was reading the bum wipes thread for a minute. :) Micromesh is fantastic. It doesn't clog like sandpaper, it's really fast and it doesn't wear out. You just rinse it under the tap, dry it and reuse it. Great stuff.

I've just realised that the bridge doesnt have rear string loading holes and so the whole ferrule thing was pointless.

Currently struggling to find time to locate the bridge on the body and drill the holes for it and the neck plate.Need to remember to bring strings in to make sure its all central.  

so DISASTER strikes

i took out my geddy lee pickups to check the pole pieces align with my string "strings" and the placed bridge. 

The rear pickup cavity has been routed for the smaller front pickup.  Surely everyone knows that the rear pickup is larger on a jazz bass ? (excepting very early mex basses where the front is the same larger size as the rear, but even that doesn't fit this case)

Raised a dispute/return request with the ebay seller. I'm a bit annoyed at ths. 

3 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

The rear pickup cavity has been routed for the smaller front pickup.  Surely everyone knows that the rear pickup is larger on a jazz bass ? (excepting very early mex basses where the front is the same larger size as the rear, but even that doesn't fit this case)

Same as mine. Both cavities are the same size. I noticed this before I finished the bass. I fitted two neck pickups. I don't have an earth wire either, I just did a thorough job with copper shielding and it's as quiet as a quiet thing.

2 hours ago, Geek99 said:

so DISASTER strikes

i took out my geddy lee pickups to check the pole pieces align with my string "strings" and the placed bridge. 

2 hours ago, discreet said:

Same as mine. Both cavities are the same size. I noticed this before I finished the bass. I fitted two neck pickups. I don't have an earth wire either, I just did a thorough job with copper shielding and it's as quiet as a quiet thing.

My Jazz and my Ibby are the same both pickups are the same size 

33 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

My Jazz and my Ibby are the same both pickups are the same size 

Also @discreet 

Noted but I have standard jazz bass pickups and I bought an apparently standard jazz bass body - I would struggle to find a commercially available pickup set, wouldn’t I ? As would all other buyers of that body

Edited by Geek99

3 hours ago, Geek99 said:

so DISASTER strikes

What's the actual dimensions of the pocket, and what does it say on the original ebay ad?

I bought one recently also from twincam on ebay and it is dimensionally as stated, ie " Bridge Pickup Dimensions 97mm by 21mm, (30mm from end to middle semi circle cut out)" Did the ad for yours state the same dimension and what does it actually measure?  

1 hour ago, Geek99 said:

I would struggle to find a commercially available pickup set, wouldn’t I?

They are out there. I know EMG do a set. I had a set ready like you did, discovered the cavities were the same size so bought two Entwistle neck pickups, which are excellent. I still have the original set which I can sell or keep for another project.

When life gives you lemons, find someone with a bottle of vodka... ;)