Why become a member? ×

Olympic white jazz with a difference

Geek99

32 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

What's the actual dimensions of the pocket, and what does it say on the original ebay ad?

I bought one recently also from twincam on ebay and it is dimensionally as stated, ie " Bridge Pickup Dimensions 97mm by 21mm, (30mm from end to middle semi circle cut out)" Did the ad for yours state the same dimension and what does it actually measure?  

He does state it but I don’t yet know what it actually measures 

I’ll check - yes same guy

Edited by Geek99

Maybe an ironstone pair 

however the pole pieces won’t align at the bridge with the strings 

I’ll try the pup in the hole - maybe I just need to chisel out the lugs a bit 

Edited by Geek99

4 hours ago, discreet said:

I don't have an earth wire either, I just did a thorough job with copper shielding and it's as quiet as a quiet thing.

That’s interesting. Waiting for the long drill bit I’ve ordered to arrive is holding up my project. I was planning to shield all the cavities anyway so if I can get away without using a ground wire I can press on. Anyone else not bother with the ground wire?

1 hour ago, BrunoBass said:

I was planning to shield all the cavities anyway so if I can get away without using a ground wire I can press on. Anyone else not bother with the ground wire?

58 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

Just put a  stripe from under the bridge to the pup cavity 

You just don't need a ground wire IF your shielding is really good. I used to think one was essential, but IME it isn't.

My Jazz doesn't have one but is just as quiet as if it had. Ditto my Precision. No hum, no buzzing, nothing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geek99 said:

Maybe an ironstone pair 

however the pole pieces won’t align at the bridge with the strings  

I used s Kluson 70s bridge and the bridge pickup lines up perfectly - it's the neck pickup that's slightly out. Makes little to no difference, however.

3 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

Is there not a risk of electrocution without grounding?

There's certainly a risk of electrocution with grounding! I'm no expert, though. Can someone tell me how electrocution is possible if the bridge, the strings (and thus yourself) are not connected in any way to the electrics?

8 hours ago, discreet said:

There's certainly a risk of electrocution with grounding! I'm no expert, though. Can someone tell me how electrocution is possible if the bridge, the strings (and thus yourself) are not connected in any way to the electrics?

If your string touch something live then there is no route to earth that does not include you

10 hours ago, discreet said:

I used s Kluson 70s bridge and the bridge pickup lines up perfectly - it's the neck pickup that's slightly out. Makes little to no difference, however.

not for me, sadly- I have an allparts bridge

10 hours ago, Rikki_Sixx said:

Sheeeit, I had no idea! Glad I spotted this before ever starting my own build, but gutted that it’s undone your plans a bit! Any word from the seller?

I've been thinking about it and I can't live with the bodge, The bridge pickup is about three mm longer, with differently placed lugs, to allow for the wider string gap at the bridge. Early mex jazz basses used a bridge pickup in both locations and its totally obvious that the neck pickup poles don't align with the strings,. 

Having tried the bridge cover, the cavity is too small but I think a decent woodworker could widen and length it slightly. It wont look perfect, but better than a mis aligned neck pickup.

regarding the seller, he DOES state the size. However he doesn't state that this is neck pup sized and as a seller myself, I'd be adding a caution note to the listing to avoid unhappy customers. He did offer to sell me two neck pups ....hmm 

• Thanks 1

regarding the seller, he DOES state the size. However he doesn't state that this is neck pup sized and as a seller myself, I'd be adding a caution note to the listing to avoid unhappy customers. He did offer to sell me two neck pups ....hmm 

I'm still a bit confused.

Are the dimensions he states "97mm by 21mm, (30mm from end to middle semi circle cut out)" and is that what it actually measures?  If so, I'm pretty sure that fits a standard Fender Jazz bridge pickup - certainly it fits my Seymour Duncan Fender Jazz drop ins.  My Seymour Duncan pickups are 93x18 for the bridge and 90x18 for the neck so would fit fine on the body I received.  

Is it the body you've got that's different to mine or is it the pickup sizes?  And are the pickups absolutely Fender Jazz drop-ins?  I ask because I've found many times the hard way that often there is no such thing as a 'standard' size for some of this stuff and sometimes it's a bit of a b****r to work out which component is the problem.

Ok I did that and if you look at the last picture (bridge pup cover upside down) you will see that the cover fits but the lugs are correctly placed for the neck pup (see middle picture)

I’ve updated the seller and await his response 

5194666F-6C3D-4E77-AD09-3C93E6EEE018.jpeg

8978D0BF-F770-4598-B51E-9A4AEA4F5EAD.jpeg

688B0302-F82B-4DBE-A955-7EAFCED227E9.jpeg

Edited by Geek99

he says he will sell me a pickup (don't want it, as I have Geddy Lee models), but it seems even his pickup covers are a  different size. 

summary - the rear pickup cavity is the right size, but the lugs cutouts are in the right spot for a neck pickup. I've asked him to measure the covers he has for pole piece spacing, in case he can just send me a cover that fits his body . His poles are sadly 2mm further in.

up a certain creek then 

17 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

he says he will sell me a pickup (don't want it, as I have Geddy Lee models), but it seems even his pickup covers are a  different size. 

summary - the rear pickup cavity is the right size, but the lugs cutouts are in the right spot for a neck pickup. I've asked him to measure the covers he has for pole piece spacing, in case he can just send me a cover that fits his body . His poles are sadly 2mm further in.

up a certain creek then 

I don’t know if it’s a viable option for you but you could replace the covers with closed ones then the pole spacing wouldn’t be a problem?.....

Go and wash your mouth out RIGHT NOW you filthy scumbag. Closed covers? Heresy !   

I’m still left with the lug location problem 

Bit Harsh!!!!

Don’t look at the build I’ve just finished and my PBass build you might end up having a stroke!! :biggrin:

45 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

No  it’s wrong to put closed covers on

If you can’t see the pole pieces  how on earth Will any talent seep in ?

Sometimes I prefer the closed look but each to their own,

I suppose some people need all the help they can get!!! xD

Anyway, @Geek99  - with other options now looking limited, do you want me to pop down the motorway sometime with my mallet and curved chisel to extend the 4 lug overlap points so it will fit with your Geddy Lee cover?

I pass by Coalville regularly ( presume there is only one Coalville - J22?) so it would be no problem.  Pm me if you think that might be a solution.

There is indeed only one Coalvile .

I hadn't thought of curved chisels. Paulownia is very soft. That's a good suggestion and thank you also for the offer. 

Norris is kindly measuring his jazz bass pups for me so I can reply to the seller with "See? right size, wrong lugs" and be right, rather than look an idiot. 

i did, and he not very clearly states the (non standard) distance to lug. Norris has kindly  offered loan of his curved chisels 

i will not neg the seller, but will review the product stating that whilst llight the pickup cavity won't take a standard bridge pup. Its something I would have wanted to know. 

Edited by Geek99