Why become a member? ×

Olympic white jazz with a difference

Geek99

I got a nice RW mighty mite neck from Groover Harder (pics to follow)  - nitro lacquer

I'm doing this on a money and time budget so there will be no nordstrand content, sadly

Plans are :

1. paulownia body from ebay (cheap)
  2. deluxe neckplate with rounded-off edge, heel sanded down to suit. ,
  3. White-mist stain with thin nitro laquer  ( so OW but translucent)
  4. celluloid tort plate with lower tug-bar
  5. 60s style stack knob from Kiogon
  6. BBOT bridge with threaded saddles.

cheapie pickups from somewhere but maybe BluesTributes from Ebay US as their P version gets mucho compliments

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I now have

• neck in rosewood (60s logo) arrived @Groove Harder
  • three hole jazz plate arrived @Rumple
  • wiring kit arrived @greenolive
  • shielding foil arrived
  • tug bar arrived
  • deluxe neckplate (wonky corner) arrived BUT now sold on ebay so to be replaced with a Fender badged normal one. ARRIVED
  • geddy lee jazz bass pickups arrived
  • concentric knobs incoming
  • BBOT bridge with threaded saddles arrived from US
  • straplocks arrived
  • chrome ferrules arrived
  • tort celluloid plate stock DARK tort
  • pawlownia body from ebay arrived
  • paint  - white blonde in a nitrocellulose burst arrived
  • Teak grain filler to really stand out under the blonde burst arrived
  • sanding sealer arrived

All items now ordered - £12.44 to pay on the bridge from US was a nasty surprise. £8 of that was RM handling charge !

I've been inspired by that video of Rutger Gunnarson playing Dancing Queen on his 61 jazz

Having trouble with OneDrive so all photos are now attached - starting page 4

Edited by Geek99
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

they did, yes, but I wasnt sure if cellulose was the same as nitro cellulose. 

The difference is that the cellulose has been through a nitration process which makes nitrocellulose (incidentally nitrocellulose is one of the key elements of gun powder)

I’m not entirely sure what difference that makes to the finish but I always use cellulose car paint as I seem to be able to get a better finish and it doesn’t seem to fade as much 

I’m not to sure if you would be able to do a trans finish with cellulose tho (but I’ve never tried??) 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with this project.

Cheers, and don't forget to post some pics and your progress with painting it :)
Really interested to see what paints you use, and how you get on with them

I'd seen some paulownia Jazz bodies on ebay, before buying mine, and wondered what they were like..... Does the eBay shop you got it from sell lots of them, and kits for whole Jazz basses Geek99?

Edited by Marc S

11 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

The difference is that the cellulose has been through a nitration process which makes nitrocellulose (incidentally nitrocellulose is one of the key elements of gun powder)

I’m not entirely sure what difference that makes to the finish but I always use cellulose car paint as I seem to be able to get a better finish and it doesn’t seem to fade as much 

I’m not to sure if you would be able to do a trans finish with cellulose tho (but I’ve never tried??) 

i saw someone do this as a trans red finish 

6 minutes ago, Marc S said:

I'm looking forward to seeing how you get on with this project.
I recently bought a Jazz neck, from a Roadworn Jazz bass. I picked up a nice looking sunburst body from a local guy on Facebook
The body was loaded, and the pickups in it are quite nice. He didn't know what make / brand they were. He's a guitarist, and bought the body as a project he never completed...

I really liked the look of the body instantly - it's a nice 3TSB and lovely grain & finish. However, the wood is quite soft - not really a problem, but on screwing the neck in place, the corners of the neckplate have "dug" into the body a little....
(I know - I just should have taken a little more care!). I'd seen some paulownia Jazz bodies on ebay, before buying mine, and wondered what they were like..... Does the eBay shop you got it from sell lots of them, and kits for whole Jazz basses Geek99?

Cheers, and don't forget to post some pics and your progress with painting it :)

I have only seen bodies, but there was a post on here from someone who bought a kit.I did find out from talking to the seller that they don't have earth holes drilled from the bridge. 

This is not a huge issue for me as I was going to use shielding foil so I will just use it to join the bridge to the pickup shield a la 62 but it might bother some

Edited by Geek99

1 minute ago, Geek99 said:

I have only seen bodies, but there was a post on here from someone who bought a kit.I did find out from talking to the seller that they don't have earth holes drilled from the bridge. 

This is not a huge issue for me as I was going to use shielding foil so I will just use it to join the bridge to the pickup shield a la 62 but it might bother some

Was your J body from the same seller as the people who sell those kits?

5 minutes ago, Geek99 said:

I have only seen bodies, but there was a post on here from someone who bought a kit.I did find out from talking to him that they don't have earth holes drilled from the bridge. 

@Marc S my Jazz build was a £70 kit from eBay with a paulownia body (I think the sellers name is twin-cam and he sells bodies on their own for about £30 ish + p&p)

4ABB7BA8-CBCC-4A8E-B63C-0C5600B24873.thumb.jpeg.089c0e12db9d3ba0158040532fa502b6.jpeg

@Geek99 your right they don’t drill the ground hole for the bridge 

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for posting that info + pic Jimothey.
Looks like you've done a nice job putting that together and especially the finish :)
Is the wood quite soft, or is it a harder type? Was it treated at all?

Edited by Marc S

15 minutes ago, Marc S said:

Thanks for posting that info + pic Jimothey.
Looks like you've done a nice job putting that together and especially the finish :)
Is the wood quite soft, like the 3TSB body I recently bought?
Before I bought it - I was quite tempted by the bodies for sale on eBay.....

Thanks @Marc S I just thinned down some hard glaze and wiped it on and I changed the hardware to black

It seemed no softer than basswood but it is a lot lighter 

For the price he’s selling them from you can’t go wrong really!!