Why become a member? ×

Tighter B

davidmpires

Hi, 

The strings I have currently are Elixir 45 -130 long scale and I play a T-Bass by status. Seeing as the strings are 7+ years old and I need to get the bass setup what are your thoughts on having a 45-125? 

Will the light gauge give me a tighter B? Is it advisable to mix gauges like that? 

Thanks 

David

First of all, are you comfortable playing a 130 for a B ?   If so, get a set with higher tension in 45-130

The 5 string crowd will  be able to guide you to a higher tension set  real soon and probably make some other suggestions ( im not a 5 player )

• 2 weeks later...

I always have 45-125 as it makes perfect sense if everything is working as it should, and I love to have the exact same step up between strings so as everything's consistent. i.e. if I play an F on the B string I want the same difference in tone as I would playing a Bb on the E string rather than 1st fret on the A string etc..

BUT... You WILL notice a difference, so if that's what you're used to and that's what works, then stick with it. If you find your B too overpowering then try a lower gauge B string. Elixir is not a brand I use so not sure on their tension.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, and after 7 years, a fresh set of what you're used to will feel completely different I'm sure! You'll probably hate it for a month! Ha!

All the best, PM me if you'd like any more geekery!

I've always gone for the heaviest B available so 135 on my SUB using my usual gauge D'addarios. Years ago I used the Nathan East Elites strings which had a 137 for the B

If you like what you have then stick with it, if you have a lighter touch then you'll get away with a lighter B

The 105 E sting has a tension of 38lbs and the 135 B is 35lbs compared to 48.35 for the D. Once I've used my supply of strings then I'd consider buying a 4 string set plus a single 145 for the B which has a tension of 41.5lbs

Edited by Delberthot

• 1 month later...

Are you addressing a problem in the way the bass plays?

A good set up will always make a bass feel like a million dollars. 

I generally prefer thicker strings, but I'll use what I can get. The flats on my P bass are .43 to .136 and the rounds on my Jazz are 45 to 125. Both feel fine, and I had to look up the packets to remember what I put on. Does your playing style notice a difference in string gauges? Mine doesn't.

Edited by chris_b