Why become a member? ×

Power supply problems?

Gunsfreddy2003

Evening all,

I have been using a Diageo power supply for years and never had any issue with it at all. On NYE I was running through some songs at home and forgot to turn off the PSU do it was left on all day. When I set up for our gig that night we realised that there was a horrendous buzzing coming from my set up so had to ditch the pedalboard and go straight into my amp which cured the problem.

Is it possible that leaving it on all day could damage the PSU or perhaps one of the pedals on my board?

I started trying to isolate to problem this evening and it's odd that with the two pedals that I checked first (TC Electronic PolyTune and Chorus) one worked fine with my regular PSU and with my back up but the other buzzed with the regular PSU and not with my back up.

I'm confused as to what to check next!

Leaving it on all day should be fine, it’s essentially the same power supply technology used in thousands of devices that are switched on all day long like cordless phones and set top boxes.

Check everything one thing at a time. Could even be a dodgy cable, that would be the most likely explanation given what you said at the end. I thoroughly recommend the Behringer cable tester btw!

• Like 1

Yep, Danny is right. Checking every cable and every pedal is the only way to be completely sure of the root of your noise issue.

What power supplies are you using? And what pedals? Digital pedals are more likely to introduce noise than analogue, however if your setup has worked noiselessly in the past then it would be very strange for this to change overnight.

PSU is the Diago Power Station and the pedals are as follows:

Aguilar Filter Twin

MXR Bass Filter

TC Electronic Chorus

TC Electronic Polytune

Boss OC2

Akai Deep Impact

SFX blender/looper

Rodenberg GAS 707B

It's always performed perfectly and never had any noise from it at all which is frustrating. The cable tester seems like a good idea. I've not used one before so a useful thing to invest in. Need to get my detective hat on!!

It turns out it was the mono jack output from the TC Electronic Chorus pedal - the stereo out is quiet as anything. Typical that I found that out after taking apart my whole board and all the wiring!

I have no idea what suddenly caused that output to fail. Very annoying but at least I found it in the end.

I did invest in the Behringer CT 100 which should arrive today and there is no doubt that that is a useful bit of kit to always have in the gigbag.

• Like 1

On 04/01/2018 at 20:59, dannybuoy said:

Leaving it on all day should be fine, it’s essentially the same power supply technology used in thousands of devices that are switched on all day long like cordless phones and set top boxes.

Check everything one thing at a time. Could even be a dodgy cable, that would be the most likely explanation given what you said at the end. I thoroughly recommend the Behringer cable tester btw!

The CT100 arrived yesterday and tested all of my jack cables. When they are connected it makes 5 lights come on with one of the 5 right in the middle. Two of the cables when connected had the middle dot missing - does that mean they are faulty?