Why become a member? ×

Trouble with power ratings

Zzzyxa

Hello, I have a problem with my setup and I hope you guys can help me out.

These are the specs according to the manuals:

Ampeg SVTIII Pro amp.

450w @ 4Ohm - 275w @ 8Ohm

Epifani UL2 1x12 cab

300w @ 8Ohm

(Epifani's user manual is suggesting an amp between 200-600w so this should be working)

Now, the 1x12 woofer is working perfectly BUT the tweeter (100w) is distorting even at very low volumes, I allready changed the membrane and the second one distorts the same, that means to me that the problem is not the Cab...

I also have an Orange Crush 35B combo:

35w @ 4Ohm 

And if I connect that combo to my cab through it's Speaker output (Disabling the internal speaker) everything seems to  sound fine...

This is wierd to me because the Cab recommends a 200-600w amp and not  35w

Do you think it is a circuit related problem in my ampeg head or the cab just doesn't handle that much output even though the manufacturer  says so?

Thank you very much, i really appreciate your help, I hope this post is in the right forum.

Best regards.

Those amps are infamous for the power stage bias drifting and creating distortion. If that is the case you should be able to hear the same symptom through other cabs. The fix is not terribly difficult, but is generally best left to a qualified technician since getting it wrong makes for a pretty expensive episode of releasing the magic smoke.

• Like 1