Why become a member? ×

First impressions of Subway 800 / BF Super Compact

scrumpymike

For obvious reasons, there's always a steady stream of topics on here about amp/cab pairings.  Obviously, this issue is by definition subjective but I particularly wanted to flag up how totally chuffed I am with my latest Mesa-cum-Barefaced rig.  When the amp arrived on Wednesday, I first tried it flat through my pair of BF One10s - but the sounds were a bit too dark/vintage/moody.  So I hooked it up to my Super Compact - and KERRPOW  - instant gratification and grinning from ear to ear!  Since then all I've changed is to dial the high mids down to between 10 and 11 o'clock and bring the voicing in at 9.  To put my comments in context, I'm playing classic covers and my bass is a Maru' Elwood 4a with Haeussel P/JJ with Delano 2-band.

I'm not posting this to suggest that it must be right for everybody just because I like it, but to endorse a couple of things that others have already said: the Mesa is an incredibly good amp; and you won't get that excessive 'darkness' that some complain if you pair it with the right cab.  Along similar lines, seem to remember McNach reporting that his 800+ (with additional high-pass filtration and bright controls) sounds great through his pair of Two10s.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

So the Super Compact is brighter than the One10? Interesting, I thought it was the other way around! I tried the D800 into a Two10 and it was a great combo, that amp is just good full stop no matter which cab you use!

Definitely - although obviously not as bright as a cab with a tweeter.

17 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

So the Super Compact is brighter than the One10? Interesting, I thought it was the other way around! I tried the D800 into a Two10 and it was a great combo, that amp is just good full stop no matter which cab you use!

The Super Compact is brighter for sure, very transparent.  The 10 inch speakers are more 'coloured' and dark by comparison, sound much more suited to me.  The Mesa will sound ace with anything though I'm sure.

Hi Mike I'm really pleased that you discovered the same gratification I enjoyed pairing my Mesa Subway D800 with the Barefaced Super Compact. I tend to cut the high Mids at 11:00 and add some Bass at 1:00 or 2:00. I use one SC for pubs and two SCs for bigger gigs. Absolute  massive sound with huge flexibility with the voicing control knob anywhere from 8:00 to 3:00.

Enjoy! 

46 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

Hi Mike I'm really pleased that you discovered the same gratification I enjoyed pairing my Mesa Subway D800 with the Barefaced Super Compact. I tend to cut the high Mids at 11:00 and add some Bass at 1:00 or 2:00. I use one SC for pubs and two SCs for bigger gigs. Absolute  massive sound with huge flexibility with the voicing control knob anywhere from 8:00 to 3:00.

Enjoy! 

Certainly am enjoying it and it's great to know that I am not the only one!  Also interesting that your modest EQ tweaks are the same as mine on the high mids and bass (except I set my slight bass boost on my 2-band Delano).

I sometimes run my Barefaced Four 10 with an 800+, although I usually favour all-valve heads. A touch of hpf and boost in the upper mids works for me with a passive Fender, and I tend to crank the voicing a bit to get a tube sound. Amazing speakers coupled with an amazing amp. I honestly don't think that the Barefaced tens, with their baked in character, could sound "bad" with any amp. Similarly the Mesa 800+ is versatile enough to be  a decent match with any speaker, despite having a complex looking front panel I have found it remarkable intuitive to tweak.

• Like 1

Tried the active Elwood / Mesa thru the One10s again today, but this time stacked the cabs on their ends with the round ports at the bottom rather than at the side.  Tried this as I remembered Alex at BF saying the cabs are more bassy on their sides.  He's right - this way round the sounds are noticeably in the cleaner/more focussed SC direction.

So many variables - don't you just love it?!

Edited by scrumpymike

1 hour ago, scrumpymike said:

Tried the active Elwood / Mesa thru the One10s again today, but this time stacked the cabs on their ends with the round ports at the bottom rather than at the side.  Tried this as I remembered Alex at BF saying the cabs are more bassy on their sides.  He's right - this way round the sounds are noticeably in the cleaner/more focussed SC direction.

So many variables - don't you just love it?!

I'm also a fan of the ports facing down. The bottom end is still there, but feels tighter.

• 2 weeks later...

I was interested in the Subway amps and briefly owned a D800. I liked it a lot but preferred the Aguilar TH500 I was using at the time. I'm now using an Aguilar AG700 with 2 SC's for the loud gigs and I can't remember getting a better bass sound. In spite of that I would still like to hear the D800+. Just curious!

My new rig for the smaller gigs is the same AG700 with a BF Two10 and One10. I sound checked the 310 and the keyboard player leaned over and said, "Well, that sounds good." You don't get many compliments from that guy so it was a great start to the gig.

I was planning to compare the 12's and 10's and keep the one I preferred, but it looks like I'm going to have to keep all of them.

chris_b:  "I was planning to compare the 12's and 10's and keep the one I preferred, but it looks like I'm going to have to keep all of them. "

I've pretty much come to the same conclusion.  I may add a second SC if I can find a good used one, so I'll have 2 10s and 2 12s.

How does the AG700 compare with the TH500 sound-wise?

8 hours ago, chris_b said:

I was interested in the Subway amps and briefly owned a D800. I liked it a lot but preferred the Aguilar TH500 I was using at the time. I'm now using an Aguilar AG700 with 2 SC's for the loud gigs and I can't remember getting a better bass sound. In spite of that I would still like to hear the D800+. Just curious!

My new rig for the smaller gigs is the same AG700 with a BF Two10 and One10. I sound checked the 310 and the keyboard player leaned over and said, "Well, that sounds good." You don't get many compliments from that guy so it was a great start to the gig.

I was planning to compare the 12's and 10's and keep the one I preferred, but it looks like I'm going to have to keep all of them.

Chris, Id love to hear why you preferred the TH500 over the D800, particularly as you prefer the AG to the TH.  What is your tonal aim?

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Chris, Id love to hear why you preferred the TH500 over the D800, particularly as you prefer the AG to the TH.  What is your tonal aim?

I would be interested to know as well, especially as I am seriously considering buying a D800 in the next few weeks. 

4 hours ago, scrumpymike said:

How does the AG700 compare with the TH500 sound-wise?

3 hours ago, Kev said:

2 hours ago, peteb said:

I would be interested to know as well, especially as I am seriously considering buying a D800 in the next few weeks. 

Guys, I wouldn't let me put you off buying a D800.  

I bought the D800 on a whim. There were such good write ups and reviews I thought it would be worth checking out. It was, but running both amps side by side at home and on gigs left me slightly preferring the more "vintage" flavour of the TH500. I don't have any negative thoughts about the D800 at all. The TH500 was an instant love affair and the honeymoon period lasted more than 4 years. I use it at home and I still gig it on occasion.

Again, I bought the AG700 to check it out. I had very little idea what it sounded like before and I was pleasantly surprised when I heard it. It's like the TH500, but cleaner, slightly less "vintage", more punch, breadth of tone and more "oomph". I seem to be preferring my P bass through the TH500 and the Jazz through the AG700.

The other feature that really interested my was the AG700 can run at 2.67 ohms. I've use 3 8 ohm cabs in the past (and might again) and I'm currently running 4 ohm and 8 ohm cabs together and separately.

Both the TH500 and AG700 were lucky accidents. They appealed to me instantly. The D800 is equally good but just didn't hit the spot in the same way.

Edited by chris_b

7 minutes ago, Kev said:

Thanks for the feedback :)

I love my D800, really disliked the TH500 but am yet to try an AG700.  The Mesa seems perfect, but GAS e.t.c. xD

I have not been particularly impressed when I have played thru a TH500, yet I have heard other guys sound great using them. When I tried out the D800 it seemed good, but I will have to play one a bit more and give it a good audition before I spend the money on it. 

3 minutes ago, Kev said:

I love my D800, really disliked the TH500 but am yet to try an AG700.   The Mesa seems perfect, but GAS e.t.c. . . . .

I can understand that. Mesa does make brilliant bass gear.

I try to ignore GAS. I just try to find stuff that works together then hope to forget about gear for as long as I can.

3 minutes ago, peteb said:

I have not been particularly impressed when I have played thru a TH500, yet I have heard other guys sound great using them. When I tried out the D800 it seemed good, but I will have to play one a bit more and give it a good audition before I spend the money on it. 

The TH500 seemed to have a more "vintage" sound. That's code for old fashioned. . . like me. Maybe that's why we got on so well!

30 minutes ago, chris_b said:

Guys, I wouldn't let me put you off buying a D800.  

I bought the D800 on a whim. There were such good write ups and reviews I thought it would be worth checking out. It was, but running both amps side by side at home and on gigs left me slightly preferring the more "vintage" flavour of the TH500. I don't have any negative thoughts about the D800 at all. The TH500 was an instant love affair and the honeymoon period lasted more than 4 years. I use it at home and I still gig it on occasion.

Again, I bought the AG700 to check it out. I had very little idea what it sounded like before and I was pleasantly surprised when I heard it. It's like the TH500, but cleaner, slightly less "vintage", more punch, breadth of tone and more "oomph". I seem to be preferring my P bass through the TH500 and the Jazz through the AG700.

The other feature that really interested my was the AG700 can run at 2.67 ohms. I've use 3 8 ohm cabs in the past (and might again) and I'm currently running 4 ohm and 8 ohm cabs together and separately.

Both the TH500 and AG700 were lucky accidents. They appealed to me instantly. The D800 is equally good but just didn't hit the spot in the same way.

I tried a AG700 at Bass Direct and found it a it too clean for me if anything. I can't make my mind up about the TH500 but I have heard other people get a great sound out of them. 

I have used a Boogie for many years and love them, but am trying to judge the D800 on it's own merits rather than just sticking with a make I know. I must say that I was impressed when I did briefly try one out. Mark at BD is trying to get me to try a Genzler, but I am a bit influenced by the fact I really didn't like the Genz Benz amps I've played through in the past. 

Edited by peteb

14 hours ago, peteb said:

I tried a AG700 at Bass Direct and found it a it too clean for me if anything. I can't make my mind up about the TH500 but I have heard other people get a great sound out of them. 

I have used a Boogie for many years and love them, but am trying to judge the D800 on it's own merits rather than just sticking with a make I know. I must say that I was impressed when I did briefly try one out. Mark at BD is trying to get me to try a Genzler, but I am a bit influenced by the fact I really didn't like the Genz Benz amps I've played through in the past. 

I've also got a Magellan 800.  It's a fabulous amp but has a cleaner, less warm/vintage core tone compared with the Mesa (although this can largely be off-set with the Magellan tone-shaping).  Generally, I've found that the Genzler works great thru my One10s and the Mesa is equally good thru my SC.  They're both close enough to the ideal tone in my head to to satisfy me but I'd say the Subway / SC pairing just edges it for me.  However, if I could only keep one amp to run both the One10s and the SC (not together), I think the excellent Magellan would have to be the one.

Must have another try-out of my mate's TH500 with the BF cab's - maybe I can persuade him that he 'needs' an AG700 as well (and so it goes on :D).

Edited by scrumpymike