So differences I can see to a V7 :

- Mahogany body instead of alder/ash

- 20 frets instead of 24

- string through bridge instead of through body

- different bridge because of this

- Marcus standard jazz pickups instead of Marcus super jazz

- dotted board instead of block and bound

- a fair chunk cheaper

The V7 has 20 frets. If this is a V7 without the bells and whistles, but keeping that preamp, it will be a great bass. The only issue for me will be the pickup quality and the weight.

6 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

They look nice but I assume the specs are as previous marcus millers - with a really wide string spacing?

I don't think the original V7's like mine were that wide - I think they were something like 19mm - then I think the vintage versions they brought out were 20mm.  Of course that is my dusty memory, so could be very wrong.  

• 1 year later...

I have a V7 4 string (Alder) and nabbed one soon after they came out from Thomann as Andertons had yet to have a distribution deal - love it and it's been serving me well for the last couple of years. Fantastic player, tones and preamp.

I recently noticed that their Version 1 V3 4 strings had come down in price at Andertons to £199. I liked the look of the all black one (something of the Phil Lynott about it) and went to the shop last weekend and tried 2 of the same for contrast. I settled on one of them as to me, it sounded and played better than the other and it was also significantly lighter. In fact,  being mahogany, I thought this was going to be heavy beast but it's even much lighter than my V7 (apparently, Sire body weights aren't that consistent and if weight is an issue, I suggest you try a selection of them).

Someone has listed the differences between the V7 and V3 earlier on and I have to say, the Mahogany body sounds really nice, warm, punchy and focused. The bass plays really well, just like my V7 did out of the box, and once again, that preamp really delivers. I mean, how much would that alone cost and how they do it for this price is beyond me????

I know the brand has been a success story for the store and they've sold hundreds of them but quite frankly, I'm not surprised.

Recommended

I don't think the preamp is particularly expensive, just well designed. It's still surprising how many active basses have cheap sounding preamps which have boom, honk and fizz controls instead of bass/mid/treble.

The weird thing is the Sire preamp apparently has a stupidly low bass control which boosts at 20hz yet it never gets too boomy unless you're silly with it, can wind it up a decent amount and it just fattens everything up without being overbearing.

Edited by lemmywinks

I have the V3 five. One issue I have is with the bridge. While setting the intonation, I completly ran out of screw when moving the saddles forward. It seems the bridge should be mounted a few mm forward at the factory. The whole bass was flat when fretting at the 12th. Got it in tune, but I'm literally hanging by a thread or two. Bass sounds amazing and plays well, but this is definitely an issue.

20190211_192602.jpg

20190211_192659_Burst01.jpg

A poster here fitted Wilkinson saddles to a V2 P7, I know the V3 has a different bridge but maybe that would be a solution?

The bridge really is something they should have redesigned on the Gen 2, the tuners are easily swappable and adequate but the bridge needs replacing IMO. If you want to keep through body stringing then it's a PITA - on my Gen1 V7 it worked but the break angle of the string got on my nerves.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Now I have two. These Sire basses are simply amazing! I have the V3 5 string (series-2)  and just got a used V7 fretless 4 string (series-1). Both are so fun to play and make me a very happy bassist. Don't know why anyone would sell off such an incredible instrument other than to upgrade to the newer version. Their loss = my gain! I sold my Fender US made Jazz Deluxe, because I just did not need it with these beauties in my shed.

The Two Sires.jpg

Edited by tedroy
  • Like 3