Why become a member? ×

Sire Marcus Miller V3

jrixn1

9lbs is good. My V7 5 string is 10.5lbs. This cost me £340 when it first came out. Hardly a super heavy bass, but i though Mahogany was a heavy wood so these new ones will be quite heavy IMO. 

My Fender Sandblasted P is 7.8lbs. I don’t use my Sire much because of this. 

15 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Thats the one. I have the P in blue. Got it second-hand for £700 last year. I guess the lack of wood on the body means there is less weight.

I think the sandblasted series are my favourite basses that Fender has ever made. I lusted after a red one on sale many months ago but it was way out of my budget at the time. Somewhere in the region of £900 if I recall, so nowhere near the deal you got yours for!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

I think the sandblasted series are my favourite basses that Fender has ever made. I lusted after a red one on sale many months ago but it was way out of my budget at the time. Somewhere in the region of £900 if I recall, so nowhere near the deal you got yours for!

Shame.Mine was from a dealer and not a private sale. I really got lucky. I had only known about them for a day or so when i found that. Glad i didnt hesitate.

10 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

9lbs is good. My V7 5 string is 10.5lbs. This cost me £340 when it first came out. Hardly a super heavy bass, but i though Mahogany was a heavy wood so these new ones will be quite heavy IMO. 

My Fender Sandblasted P is 7.8lbs. I don’t use my Sire much because of this. 

I think that a standard flat sawn Ash will on average tend to be heavier than both a standard flat sawn Mahogany and a flat sawn Alder. Swamp Ash tends to be much lighter. You will however always get quite a bit of variation in different cuts of the same species of wood...every piece will be different.

Oddly enough some of my heaviest basses have tended to sound really good. I owned a Lakland 44-01 which weighed almost as much as my car - it was extremely resonant and sounded fantastic but obviously became very uncomfortable very quickly when gigging.

Its hard to be too critical of the weight of the Sires at this price point though...because they are so good.

I own one of the first V7s. These V3s look incredible. The see through red finish is great.

This will be so much more bass than the equivalent Squire Affinity Jazz. The Squire is only marginally cheaper, say about £10, so I know where my money would be going. It really is a no brainer.

I can't see many differences with a V7. The bridge has standard saddles, the neck obviously hasn't the blocks and binding. Perhaps the nut is synthetic rather than bone. Mahogany maybe cheaper than alder and swamp ash?...who knows.

I just hope they don't do a P3, otherwise I am in trouble :)