Why become a member? ×

1972 Telecaster Bass re-build

yorks5stringer

Back in early November I had to take my wife to the Dentist in Wincanton. Whilst she was there I wandered down the High Street (bit of a misnomer) and noticed the following in a Secondhand Record shop window. I went in, asked a few questions and went back and borrowed a phone to take a few photos with the intention of posting it on BC and alerting people to its existence. After about 10 minutes thought however, decided to buy it myself once I'd checked it was kosher. It had been a 'players bass' so there was quite a bit that had been changed. The machine heads were Grover Titans, it had an extra Humbucker , extra volume for that pickup, removed tug bar, different jack socket and different bridge. I've been gradually returning it to stock and this is the story.......

20171011_150148.thumb.jpg.c793bb50e0ac4a39b490a18bf579ab63.jpg

Here's a picture of the Fender knobs I sourced, apparently there are domed tops and flat tops, I got flats. I also replaced the tug/pull bar with a Fender part. Strangely having done a number of gigs with it since then, have neither  been pulled nor  tugged but a tractor driver did nudge me when he was going to the Bar.....

P1040664.thumb.JPG.c281f6842a59550558442e59235decd1.JPG

The eagle and not so eagle-eyed will also spot a different pickup has crept into the fray?  I decided to replace the bridge with a Squier one as could not find a Fender  and it is the old twin saddle type. Whilst the bridge is no wider than the non OEM one fitted, the saddle spacing is slightly wider and my E string was way adrift from the  pole screw on the bridge pickup. So I decided to experiment with pickups, first the P Bass ones(cheapies), then the  Squier Jazz one. The body had been routed for a Jazz at some time beneath the control plate. I just fabricated the plates myself and in fact rather than drill any more holes in the body (its like Blackburn under there), the Jazz plate is held in place by the Bridge cover, again a Fender part. Many will know, depending on which was around you have the bridge cover can influence the sound if  the damping rubber is still in place. My bridge cover is naked underneath. One thing I have noticed, is that without changing anything but the bridge pickup, how the different pickups react with the neck pickup. Each one is very different and also where they interact when blended too. The two Humbuckers   as bought were a bit OTT tonewise and a bit full-on.

P1040661.JPG

P1040662.JPG

P1040663.JPG

Edited by yorks5stringer

I also replaced the jack socket, should be a before and after below. Tricky little beggars the OEM sockets, had to spend some time reading up how to fit it without buying an expensive tool. Luckily the internet is a valuable source of 'how to' and I crafted something from a large threaded bolt,  washers, nut and a socket that did the job. Again more holes left...!

20171011_150401.jpg

P1040665.JPG

Lastly, the rear of the headstock showing the Grover Titans ( and more holes). They are slightly shorter than OEM's and I've decided to keep them for the moment. The red sticker is for a musical instrument shop in Paris called 'Pasdeloup' which I have been unable to trace however. The Ying/Yang sticker on the rear of the body  says 'Town and Country Surf  Designs, Pearl City, Hawaii' and I've decided to leave that too. It seems this is a large surfboard manufacturer.

20171011_150207.thumb.jpg.cbc65a968cdc0e2242331e0472ad0a49.jpg20171011_150222.thumb.jpg.b4ecc6f326e262f5bd50c54527d32797.jpg

Lovely bass, and all them holes are just mojo - you'd have to pay Nash or Limelight a small fortune to drill them for you:D

I've always loved the 70's telecaster bass with the mudbucker at the neck. I almost bought one on my travels in Europe a while back with a view to adding a P pickup in the normal position but stupidly decided against it.:|

5 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

The eagle and not so eagle-eyed will also spot a different pickup has crept into the fray?  I decided to replace the bridge with a Squier one as could not find a Fender  and it is the old twin saddle type. Whilst the bridge is no wider than the non OEM one fitted, the saddle spacing is slightly wider and my E string was way adrift from the  pole screw on the bridge pickup. So I decided to experiment with pickups, first the P Bass ones(cheapies), then the  Squier Jazz one. The body had been routed for a Jazz at some time beneath the control plate. I just fabricated the plates myself and in fact rather than drill any more holes in the body (its like Blackburn under there), the Jazz plate is held in place by the Bridge cover, again a Fender part. Many will know, depending on which was around you have the bridge cover can influence the sound if  the damping rubber is still in place. My bridge cover is naked underneath. One thing I have noticed, is that without changing anything but the bridge pickup, how the different pickups react with the neck pickup. Each one is very different and also where they interact when blended too. The two Humbuckers   as bought were a bit OTT tonewise and a bit full-on.

P1040661.JPG

P1040662.JPG

P1040663.JPG

I preferred the look of the two humbuckers they balanced the look but each to their own, looking great tho!! 

Yes I know what you mean but they were too 'inyerface' soundwise. It's a pretty easy job to swap out the different pickup combos too, I may go back to the double bucker and investigate a different 'cap' and see if that may tame them? Plus at least the strings go over the Jazz pole pieces unlike all the other pickups.... 

Edited by yorks5stringer

3 hours ago, yorks5stringer said:

I may go back to the double bucker and investigate a different 'cap' and see if that may tame them? 

I know someone who changed their cap from a 0.047uF to a 0.1uF and they reckoned it made a big difference to the sound it removed a lot of the brightness