Why become a member? ×

Musicman Bongo finally arrived today!

Guest Briton

7 minutes ago, Briton said:

Well after waiting a painful 8 months my Bongo 5HH in Stealth Black arrived today. And what a beautiful sounding instrument it is.
I have not yet checked what tonal possibilities it will give me as I basically just plugged it in with everything set flat and even at flat settings it sounds "BRILLIANT".
I am still waiting for a white pickguard to come through the post which my dealer threw in free of charge and my free gift from Musicman which I think is one of their toolkits.

I am currently in Bongo Heaven!

C360_2018-01-04-12-55-44-551.jpg

That looks lovely!!! I really like the black on black!! 

7 hours ago, Briton said:

Well after waiting a painful 8 months my Bongo 5HH in Stealth Black arrived today. And what a beautiful sounding instrument it is.
I have not yet checked what tonal possibilities it will give me as I basically just plugged it in with everything set flat and even at flat settings it sounds "BRILLIANT".
I am still waiting for a white pickguard to come through the post which my dealer threw in free of charge and my free gift from Musicman which I think is one of their toolkits.

Hubba bubba.

Guest Briton
On 05/01/2018 at 17:34, Paulhauser said:

Very cool, congrats! Does it have the ebony board like the SR5 stealth has?

?

Edited by Briton

On 4 January 2018 at 13:54, Briton said:

Fabulous bass - they are really excellent - if you want a new pickguard, Musicman's supplier (Chandler - Pickguard Heaven) do most of the exotic looking ones MM used to offer as options - this one is called tiramisu. 

image.thumb.jpeg.b36c5650969cca539f57e195afb6476b.jpeg

Yeah good plan - the Stealth look with white lettering is excellent - I was very tempted by an SR5 in that form a few years back. 

Do you find the Bongo is incredibly resonant just acoustically? Mine is, and has extremely strong harmonics just acoustically - they're great instruments. 

Myung describes them as the perfect bass. Mine is my main gigging bass, there’s not a tone I can’t get out of it. Be careful though, they’re bloomin’ powerful and you’ll need to make sure it plays nicely with your gain control :) 

4 hours ago, bartelby said:

I have to say that's the first Bongo that hasn't made me think of toilets. It's pretty awesome looking!

Hahaha!! I recall there were some bassists on Talkbass years ago who were suffering from a toilet fixation - as well as Bongos they were forever going on about P(ee) basses 😂

However my orange Bongo has absolutely no bathroom or any other furniture connotations to the normal musician's mind or anyone else from my experience. The nice pointy headstock could come in very handy as well 😉 😄

I've got one of these basses and they are indeed fantastic instruments. They do have lots of great tones available as someone else has noted, but I find them to be relentlessly "modern". The Bongo isn't a bass I would choose for retro tones. It has its own signature sound and is all the better for that! A refreshing change from the plethora of basses on the market desperately trying to evoke a fashionably "vintage" vibe.