Why become a member? ×

EUB or "real" Double Bass for starter?

8 hours ago, Rabbie said:

Years ago I toured all over the U.K. with my bass in a Fiat Panda. All that close proximity and intimacy, with her neck resting on my shoulder whilst negotiating motorways and B roads made me develop a certain intimacy with my instrument. I’m not sure it resulted in me being a better player though, so I blamed her for it, said things I wish I didn’t say on a journey back from a remote Festival...so we split up after that, and I sold her....

get a bigger car, both you and your bass deserve some space!

In my experience, unless you're driving a van - whatever size car you drive, the DB will cause some sort of hindrance, whether it is touching the windscreen,  stopping you pulling on the handbrake or comfortably putting your arm down with your supersize fizzy pop...or all of them.  The size of car dictates which of these hindrances you will suffer....

1 hour ago, razze06 said:

My deal on my current car expires soon, and i'm shopping around for a new one thinking mainly of whether the bass and amp and cab will fit...

I know they're unfashionable, but my Dacia Duster is brilliant and will fit in pretty much everything.

The Eminence was cheaper than upgrading my car. I’m lucky enough to have a really nice car, and I use it a lot more than my double bass, so it wouldn’t make sense to sacrifice having a nice car every day in order to transport the acoustic for the occasional gig where I might need one. I leave the acoustic at the school where I work, it gets hauled out for orchestra rehearsals and concerts. In the meantime the Eminence is set up for ease of play, doesn’t kill my hands on long gigs and is so much easier to cart around so it’s a win all around really. 

Edited by therealting

My full size double bass fits in my Skoda CitiGo *with a PJB flightcase amp in the boot).  The trick is to recline the front seat all the way; the bass then goes in bottom end first with the body resting on the vertical of the back seat, the neck then goes down the footwell. Check it out - 2 minutes in.  Any car will do!

• Like 1

Yup, visibility is fine (compared to the AstraVan I use for work, anyway).   I wouldn't have believed it worked until someone on another thread pointed out the method.

I will admit that my 4/4 bass is quite a slim one - not one of those HUGE fatties you can barely reach around - but who plays those anyway; everyone I know has a 3/4.

I have an Octavia estate too, into which the double bass slides with ease with the seats down, but unless taking double bass, electric bass and the big amp too, the CitiGo is actually simpler, as no seats need dropping and the passenger seat reclines by flipping one lever, whereas the Octavia has a knob of many (many) turns to achieve the same thing.

Edited by NickA
clarification

On 07/02/2019 at 09:51, Huge Hands said:

In my experience, unless you're driving a van - whatever size car you drive, the DB will cause some sort of hindrance, whether it is touching the windscreen,  stopping you pulling on the handbrake or comfortably putting your arm down with your supersize fizzy pop...or all of them.  The size of car dictates which of these hindrances you will suffer....

My 3/4 used to fit in the back of my Audi A6 Avant, entirely behind the passenger seats without the headstock poking between the seats.

Years ago, I ordered an NS design WAV on a whim. I figured since I played in a rockabilly-ish band, this would be a good fit. Took me quite a while to actually sound like I knew what I was doing, but I loved it. 

These days I hardly play EUB, whether at home or on a gig, so she just stands there. I told my misses I might sell the EUB but she told me to just keep it. 

My current blues band has a living room concert coming up soon, so perhaps I will give er a go. 

At no point have I gassed for an actual upright, nor do I consider myself an upright player. I play EUB, which really is a different instrument. 

Edited by EddiePlaysBass