Why become a member? ×

EUB or "real" Double Bass for starter?

On 1/4/2018 at 21:12, Rabbie said:

Real.

it’s the body, the sound, the feel....the sweat, the pain, the expense, the awkwardness, the difficulty....but oh the sheer joy!

Plus one to that!!! 

EUBs are nice and easy to play and a good amplified sound can be had with ease (and Eberhard Weber plays one, so they can't be all bad),

I doubt anyone at a Jazz session would be concerned (they're usually so glad to have any bass players in to balance all the saxaphones and guitars)  but your local symphony orchestra might be less keen!

• 11 months later...

I m a real upright bass newbie and had 3 lessons so far. I bought an acoustic db about 5 years ago and it was inexpensive but OK based on my limited understanding of them. 

I took it for a setup and re-string which cost about the same as I paid for it. Then after a few years of neglect only because I have been far to busy to dedicate time to it due to work and other gigging pressures. I decided last year to start learning. I have noticed from years of going to watch jazz gigs that whenever they are used live they are always used with a pickup so you basically have an electro/acoustic EUB. (sorry if that sounds condescending it's not meant to).
That in mind I decided to sell my mine and get a decent EUB that has a good DB sound, (my tutor assures me it does), is more portable and start learning from there. I'm not gonna say that an EUB is as authentic a sound or playing experience as a full blown acoustic DB but it's probably close enough for me now and  hopefully in the future.   I hope to play at least a couple of tracks with it on one of my gigs this year if my intonation is good enough.

Edited by jazzyvee

This time last year, I wasn't playing upright much at all, mostly due to bands folding etc etc. However, in the summer I joined a new band (some old pals I used to dep for years back, actually)
And they were keen on me doubling up and switching between BG and DB as much and as often as I want.

So I tried an NS Design EUB, and was really impressed. It was the lightest weight, most compact 3/4 upright I'd come across, and I really liked the sound :)
Moreover, I found I could easily get it in a small car, along with a bass guitar and my rig and stands etc. My practice time on upright seems less than ever, and on the rare occasions I get some "quality time" - it almost always seems to be late at night... so the NS is getting used far more than my acoustic upright.

With a bit of EQ'ing, I can get a better sound from the NS than any other EUB I've played, apart from maybe the Eminence - but that's not quite the same thing, as it's more of a mini acoustic DB, I suppose
Within months, I'd upgraded from a WAV to an NS CR model, with more tonal / EQ options, and haven't looked back. So to the OP (or anyone else tempted by EUB's) I'd recommend trying out an NS Design upright.
I'm now switching between BG and upright at gigs, using an A, B, Y switch - something I'd struggled with before, due to big EQ and level differences between instruments

I'll always prefer the tone of my acoustic upright, but my EUB is getting far more use. And oddly enough, I get more positive comments and questions from audience members, plus positive comments from fellow band members than I ever did giging my acoustic upright.

• Like 1

On 04/01/2018 at 12:37, EliasMooseblaster said:

Reasons against:

Won't feel the same as "the real thing"

May have to dodge the minefield of EUBs which are actually just "perpendicular bass guitars"

May receive disapproving tuts if I feel brave enough to bring it along to a Jazz jam night

If you're doing Jazz gigs at Ronnie Scott's the crowd will probably expect an acoustic upright, maybe with very expensive guts. 

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. What I'd make sure is that whichever one I got, it doesn't spin on its endpin, has a proper upright concave neck, has roughly the same neck length as a normal double-bass, and takes normal double bass strings (stock strings are usually rubbish).

42 minutes ago, petebassist said:

If you're doing Jazz gigs at Ronnie Scott's the crowd will probably expect an acoustic upright, maybe with very expensive guts. 

I thought the house bassist uses Silver Slaps.

A double bass is such a classic instrument that it can open a lot of doors.  I'm not very good bassist and I never make any attempt to network; still, I get offered more gigs than I can take on, so I end up declining some quite nice ones (and well-paid too, & some abroad stuff).  This is because the bandleaders want a double bass rather than EUB or bass guitar.  The style is jazz, swing, rock'n'roll, "postmodern jukebox".  (Not intending to discourage anyone from taking up EUB - just giving a perspective.) 

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

I thought the house bassist uses Silver Slaps.

A double bass is such a classic instrument that it can open a lot of doors.  I'm not very good bassist and I never make any attempt to network; still, I get offered more gigs than I can take on, so I end up declining some quite nice ones (and well-paid too, & some abroad stuff).  This is because the bandleaders want a double bass rather than EUB or bass guitar.  The style is jazz, swing, rock'n'roll, "postmodern jukebox".  (Not intending to discourage anyone from taking up EUB - just giving a perspective.) 

@jrixn1 Blimey, how d'ya manage to get so many offers? What's the secret? 😁

I've never been to Ronnie Scott's BTW, my point was that only in some scenarios is an acoustic double bass a must-have. But I'm no expert. I do gig an acoustic upright, mainly in a vintage swing jazz outfit, so as well as the superior tone (hopefully), it fits in better for vintage-type events.

• Like 1

About four years ago I switched from EB to an EUB for the jazz and swing bands I'm in. I started with the Stagg which was OK but several months later I came across a used Yamaha SLB 200 at a great price and it is much better than the Stagg in terms of playability and sound, although others on here don't like the Yamaha it works for me.Of course it is also much more expensive. Then last summer I bought a DB and with the right pickup and strings it is a whole new world of fun.

Now I use the EUB for some gigs where space and/or access  are issues and the Engelhardt DB on the rest of the gigs.Both work great and I have had lots of compliments and questions about both instruments.

I guess my suggestion would be to try as many EUB's and DB's as you can and go from there.I was lucky to be in England last April for the BC double bass bash and got the chance to hear and play a number of EUB's and DB's. I was really impressed with the Eminence EUB but it is pretty pricey. Check out the stuff for sale on BC, often real bargains show up.

Upright is hard work but it is great fun, for me it's the best way to go and my playing has improved a lot since I've gone upright and when you play upright you feel like a "real" bass player! Go for it!😊

Edited by Staggering on
  • Like 2

On 08/01/2019 at 15:11, petebassist said:

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it. What I'd make sure is that whichever one I got, it doesn't spin on its endpin, has a proper upright concave neck, has roughly the same neck length as a normal double-bass, and takes normal double bass strings (stock strings are usually rubbish).

I assume you mean convex.

Strange coincidence....

I had a call from Valentin Hristov earlier today. He brought a couple of his creations to the Herts Bash 2016. He's been contacted by a BC member and one of his friends both wanting a custom EUB. He'll make both 4 and 5 strings. He recently secured a patent on his piezo style pick up which he assures me gives a more DB like tone than any of the competition.

I encouraged him to join BC, he's after some advice on fret markers but also has loads of knowledge that he can share.

Not had a chance to check his website but here's the link:

www.fortevio.com

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, therealting said:

😂 That’s why I got your Eminence! It’s been a lifesaver.

They fit in micro compact Smart cars too. Thought you'd need a really compact combo.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=double+bass+in+a+smart+car&&view=detail&mid=46269B5E3740DEC5D22C46269B5E3740DEC5D22C&&FORM=VRDGAR

Edited by jazzyvee

5 hours ago, jazzyvee said:

They fit in micro compact Smart cars too. Thought you'd need a really compact combo.

I have an Audi A5 coupe. The problem is the way my seats fold forward, and also the size of the boot lid - can’t physically get a double bass into the back. You can just about get it into the passenger seat, but you have to choose between being able to see or being able to shift gears, so it’s really not ideal.

The Eminence goes in the back seat without breaking a sweat, and I can fit an amp in the boot without too much trouble. I’ve brought a full PA in the car with it!

Years ago I toured all over the U.K. with my bass in a Fiat Panda. All that close proximity and intimacy, with her neck resting on my shoulder whilst negotiating motorways and B roads made me develop a certain intimacy with my instrument. I’m not sure it resulted in me being a better player though, so I blamed her for it, said things I wish I didn’t say on a journey back from a remote Festival...so we split up after that, and I sold her....

get a bigger car, both you and your bass deserve some space!

7 hours ago, Rabbie said:

Years ago I toured all over the U.K. with my bass in a Fiat Panda. All that close proximity and intimacy, with her neck resting on my shoulder whilst negotiating motorways and B roads made me develop a certain intimacy with my instrument. I’m not sure it resulted in me being a better player though, so I blamed her for it, said things I wish I didn’t say on a journey back from a remote Festival...so we split up after that, and I sold her....

get a bigger car, both you and your bass deserve some space!

My deal on my current car expires soon, and i'm shopping around for a new one thinking mainly of whether the bass and amp and cab will fit...