Why become a member? ×

New amp. Tc electronic?. Help guys :)

Psharpe89

19 hours ago, Crawford13 said:

I use a RH450 and I also love it. Great to have different settings for different basses, also it’s incredibly versatile with the tube tone! I think I would miss the presets which I find incredibly handy when playing gigs with other bands and I end up supplying the bass amp. Doesn’t matter what the other bass players do, I am back at my settings with 1 touch of a button.

True, I liked that a lot, as at the time I was often letting others play through it: channel 3. Channels 1 and 2 were mine ;)

Guest gazzatriumph

I've owned both amps the BH 550 was a back up amp, I much preferred the RH 750 which I still have and use,  I sold the BH 550 nothing wrong with it but preferred the RH 750 sound and the control options. The presets are really useful.  Regarding the dodgy knobs they changed the quality of them a few years ago and I've had mine for a couple of year's now and no problems. I run my amp through an RS 210 and it's very loud, ignore the wattage comments. 

Edited by gazzatriumph

Guest gazzatriumph
21 minutes ago, Psharpe89 said:

The is for the advice chaps. Went in with fresh ears and bought the rh750.

Cab next on the list

Good choice, I changed from an ashdown abm 500 with an abm 6x10 to the RH750 and RS 210 and the TC was surprisingly much louder and a hell of alot easier to transport. The first amps had button problems but they have now resolved this as mine are fine no splitting or cracks.

Good to hear ! It was the rs210 that I played through and loved. The k series is attractive price wise and looks too to be honest but the rs looks more durable. But budget not there yet to fork out 500 quid for the rs210. 

Been looking potentially for a used cab for now and found a bc212 but no experience of them 

That or a credit card to support this growing addiction!

25 minutes ago, Psharpe89 said:

Good to hear ! It was the rs210 that I played through and loved. The k series is attractive price wise and looks too to be honest but the rs looks more durable. But budget not there yet to fork out 500 quid for the rs210. 

Been looking potentially for a used cab for now and found a bc212 but no experience of them 

That or a credit card to support this growing addiction!

The BC212 is light, but it just sounds ok, not great. It's not terribly efficient either, so, especially if you use only one cab, you might be tempted to push it harder than it can take... It's designed with a budget in mind and it shows. I had one at the same time as an RS210 (the RS212 I wanted to add was much more expensive than the BC212) and I regretted it. 

Resist the temptation, what looks like saving money, in the end it isn't.

Edited by mcnach

4 minutes ago, Psharpe89 said:

Yeah did try them. Loved them. Just the immediate funds that's the issue where this bc one is used and cheap lol

If the RS210 tempts you... see if you can try a Barefaced Two10. Much better cab, in my opinion, and not that far off in price. Lighter too. The RS210 was not terribly heavy (20Kg?) but the handle was of a design that always seemed to dig into my hand, and when you lift it with one arm, it tilts as it's not balanced with regards to the handle position... shins hit often :D

Guest gazzatriumph
1 hour ago, Psharpe89 said:

Yeah did try them. Loved them. Just the immediate funds that's the issue where this bc one is used and cheap lol

I have bought cheap before and ended buying what I really wanted later,  as someone else said it will cost you more in the long run, can you get an interest free credit card. I recently got a used rs210 to go with my other RS 210 for £350 in excellent condition with cover but they don't come up that often. 

Edited by gazzatriumph

On 06/01/2018 at 19:50, Crawford13 said:

I think I would miss the presets which I find incredibly handy when playing gigs with other bands and I end up supplying the bass amp. Doesn’t matter what the other bass players do, I am back at my settings with 1 touch of a button.

I've ended up never using the presets for different sounds - but do have one programmed in with *my* basic sound.  Like he said, great to have that instantly available when kit sharing.

On 03/01/2018 at 22:42, Psharpe89 said:

My in decisiveness was down to two things: the annoying slight overhang on the rh casing and attractive price of the bh.

I never have a problem with the overhang obscuring my view.  Took a long hard look at it (on top of my 2x12) while playing, and it really didn't get in the way.

Hi,

TC is great stuff and i currently have the blacksmith.

However i do have a back up amp that i will be moving on if your interested.

It is a Ashdown retroglide 800, light weight 800 watt rms until with 12 band eq, take a look on the net for details.

Its very loud and very light and mighty cool.

Regards

Rob

13 minutes ago, big rob said:

However i do have a back up amp that i will be moving on if your interested.

It is a Ashdown retroglide 800, light weight 800 watt rms until with 12 band eq, take a look on the net for details

Thanks @big rob but bought the tc rh 750. Comfortable with the choice and sounds fab :)

Excellent choice.  They're great amps.  Sold my RH450 to go to a Trace head, got fed up with the weight and came back to a RH750.  Very happy with it.  And it includes some tools that are actually useful in the 'real world' - tuner and top class compressor to name but two.

21 hours ago, gazzatriumph said:

The first amps had button problems but they have now resolved this as mine are fine no splitting or cracks.

On the subject of the older RH amps, there are two separate button problems. The turny knobs go loose and fall off, and the pressy buttons (with the clear spot in the centre for the LED to shine through) are liable to crack radially. However, in both cases, these are fixed in newer versions, and TC will send you a full replacement set on request (and they are a dawdle to install).

S.P.

Guest gazzatriumph
4 hours ago, Psharpe89 said:

Good to know @Bass Culture . Need to keep an eye out for the foot switch. It looks good but so dam expensive for what it is

When I bought my footswitch a couple of years ago it was £75, the prices for TC stuff has gone up a lot due to there now being a distributor involved rather than shops being able to purchase direct from TC. In May 15 my RH750 and RS210 C cost £1050 its now around £1400.

3 hours ago, gazzatriumph said:

When I bought my footswitch a couple of years ago it was £75, the prices for TC stuff has gone up a lot due to there now being a distributor involved rather than shops being able to purchase direct from TC. In May 15 my RH750 and RS210 C cost £1050 its now around £1400.

Yes, I bought my RH750 in the Summer of 2015 and it cost me £635. Cheapest I see them now is about £750. Mind you, they’ve been dearer too - prices seem to go up and down like a yo-yo!

2 hours ago, Bass Culture said:

Yes, I bought my RH750 in the Summer of 2015 and it cost me £635. Cheapest I see them now is about £750. Mind you, they’ve been dearer too - prices seem to go up and down like a yo-yo!

Yup. When I bought my RH450 early in 2009, it was something like £750, and the RS210 cab £370... A couple of years later or so when I was thinking of selling the RH450, the price dropped to about £600... or maybe less, I can't recall exactly, but it was a big drop. I wasn't very happy.

17 hours ago, Psharpe89 said:

Good to know @Bass Culture . Need to keep an eye out for the foot switch. It looks good but so dam expensive for what it is

Must admit I don't tend to use the footswitch much, though I am glad to have it. I usually switch settings between songs, and it is a cinch to use the mute button on the amp itself if you want to tune between songs (if you didn't know, although the tuner is constantly available, when you mute it goes into a more accurate mode).

As for the surround overhang, if you are taller then it might be a small issue. I got round it by making a foldable angled amp stand from a bit of ply painted in tuffcab paint. It's got a lip on the rear endge to support the amp, and it folds up and goes in the amp bag with the amp, footswitch and cables. I'll dig out a pic later if there's any interest...

Edited by RichardH

52 minutes ago, RichardH said:

As for the surround overhang, if you are taller then it might be a small issue. I got round it by making a foldable angled amp stand from a bit of ply painted in tuffcab paint. It's got a lip on the rear endge to support the amp, and it folds up and goes in the amp bag with the amp, footswitch and cables. I'll dig out a pic later if there's any interest...

Yeah be good to see; especially if it's an easy solution.

Here we go. The lip at the back is sized so the feet butt up against it, so the rear panel is left completely unimpeded. The corner blobs are some spare bits of Sugru I had lying about, used as feet - not necessary really though.

I originally built this when I was using a single 1x12, but have still found it handy with the Genz 2x12 cab.

Made from an offcut of cheapo 12mm ply.

ampramp-1.jpg

ampramp-2.jpg

ampramp-3.jpg

ampramp-4.jpg

ampramp-5.jpg

11 hours ago, RichardH said:

Here we go. The lip at the back is sized so the feet butt up against it, so the rear panel is left completely unimpeded. The corner blobs are some spare bits of Sugru I had lying about, used as feet - not necessary really though.

I originally built this when I was using a single 1x12, but have still found it handy with the Genz 2x12 cab.

Made from an offcut of cheapo 12mm ply.

ampramp-1.jpg

ampramp-2.jpg

ampramp-3.jpg

ampramp-4.jpg

ampramp-5.jpg

Clever, I like it. I might have to make one of these for my own rig!