Why become a member? ×

Interesting new Ibanez's for 2018

Woodinblack

My eye was caught on the Cerulean blue prestige this morning that I hadn't seen before:

https://www.dawsons.co.uk/ibanez-2018-sr2605-premium-electric-bass-guitar-cerulean-blue-burst

as I am rather partial to ibanezes, and knotty wood, and blue. 

There is no info on the ibanez pages, or in their facebook page which is odd, seems like they are producing so much now that even they can't keep up.

I noticed also they do an 'upright' this year:

https://www.dawsons.co.uk/ibanez-2018-ub804-upright-electric-bass-mahogany-oil-burst

which is a bit of a departure from normal from them.

I guess they are doing well, on the sidebar of the dawsons page where I saw this, if you filter by manufacturer, they have 83 models, the one one that comes close is fender with 60, and yamaha with 39, the others are in the low 10s.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Oh.. well thats out then.

Odd but then I suppose they are trying to spread the appeal. Just a shame it is a colour I would have gone for.

I'm the opposite. I don't like 16.5mm at all.

19mm is very common on a 5 string, but Ibby cover that option on the BTB range. I wonder if it is a mistake. If it is accurate and 8.5lb at the most (I doubt it) then I'd be very interested.

2 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

I'm the opposite. I don't like 16.5mm at all.

Seems most people are like that. Probably why I have mostly ibanezes (and a Maruszczyk with a ibanez modelled neck!)

2 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

19mm is very common on a 5 string, but Ibby cover that option on the BTB range. I wonder if it is a mistake. If it is accurate and 8.5lb at the most (I doubt it) then I'd be very interested.

I am sure it is if thats what they say. The 1605 premier I have is the lightest of any basses I have, easily under 8.5. Other than the BTBs (why I don't have any of those), the Adam Nitti basses (also a lovely blue) have the crazy wide spacing too!

That looks bloomin' lovely!

The spec looks top too (& I prefer a19mm string spacing).

I get the impression that new Ibanez's seem to depreciate pretty sharpish though, which would put me off. 

Definitely a cool looking bass though.

Edited by Wilco

I very much doubt that the new SR is 19mm, just look how close those mono bridge pieces are. Also their description of the bridge ‘MR5’ is the same as the upright.

I found a copy of the 2018 catalogue and did a screen grab. No mention of the scale of the upright but it one picture is does look similar to the NS NXT, I wouldnt be surprised if they were made in the same factory.

16F77B6D-6634-4BF7-91D3-8F023DFF83C9.thumb.jpeg.abf649433e3cad8579325cc220179d80.jpeg

33BCA923-E4F9-42FB-BEB1-90233CEED43A.thumb.jpeg.0cbc8da8a9ece762a78ec3c5bef34992.jpeg

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

@Woodinblack 

Catalogue: https://issuu.com/ibanezgermany/docs/ibanez_catalog_2018

Page 77 it says it is 16.5mm. So you are in luck!

That catalogue is insane. Even if they the produce no more than the one of each type they used for the catalogue, that's more guitars and basses than there are players in the entire universe.

The artist basses look nice but I suspect the Thundercat will be as savagely expensive as its brethren... EDIT: Oops didn't see previous post... £7k eh... hmmm. That's a nope then. Suspect the similar Yamaha John Patitucci archtop will be the same.

Edited by visog

43 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

The blue one looks like a map of some exotic island set in a deep sea! Or is that my imagination running overboard. Nice though. 

The EUB looks remarkably similar to the basic Aria one.

I wouldn't say so, the Aria is more like the Stagg (well the other way round), the new ibby has no string afterlength like an NS design.