Why become a member? ×

How to record YouTube play-along videos

NJE

I had a pretty long drive home after New Years with the family and my mind started wondering all over the place. One thing I started thinking about randomly, was how do people record the YouTube play-along videos and reviews of basses etc?

I presume a video camera doesn’t give you good enough quality audio on its own, so do you use recording software, play over a loop or a song and then synchronise that to the video with video editing software?

How do people like Scots bass lessons and Anderson’s do it when they go between speaking and playing? 

I get slightly obsessed about the mechanics of how people do things.

When I start recording a video I always snap the G string onto the figerboard. All cameras have their sound recording on and I record the proper sound for use in the video on Cubasis. Doing this gives me a point on the sound track from each camera that I can line up in the editing software. I then group all the tracks together so I can't move any of them out of sync and edit from there. It's a bit like the use of a clapper board used in shooting a film for cinema. Nothing really more complicated than that for me.

• Like 1

I've only done two videos. I mic'd up the amp with sm 57 and recorded the sound via interface in Ableton software. I then mixed the bass sound with the backing guitar track and did all the compression and mastering.

I placed a digital camera in front of me to record the motion and sound.

When I imported the bass sound and video into movie media maker I muted the sound on video and synced the two together.

Edited by SH73
  • Like 1

I used photo booth on my MacBook for the video and recorded the sound at the same time in Logic Pro. Then just import the video into Logic, it’s quite simple to align the two, just drag the video until it aligns with the sound.

Edited by ambient
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone, I think that is my curiosity purged! I don’t think I will be recording play along videos any time soon, I don’t think I could subject my playing to that kind of audience and criticism. Always good to learn something new though and it might be a cool way of sending a couple of musical friends ideas and making notes and recording gigs and rehearsals.

5 hours ago, NJE said:

...I don’t think I will be recording play along videos any time soon, I don’t think I could subject my playing to that kind of audience and criticism...

'Sgood for oneself, though, even if they're never seen by the unwashed masses. Seeing and hearing how one plays can be quite a surprise. It's worth doing, if only for that, and, whatever the 'quality' of the technique used, it's a benchmark for when it's wanted for public consumption. I use my Logitech webcam, which has a built-in mic. I convert to Youtube format using VideoPad, but there are on-line converters, too. No expense involved, and the 'quality' is easily good enough for my poor playing. Good experience, though, and very instructive. Have a go..?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

'Sgood for oneself, though, even if they're never seen by the unwashed masses. Seeing and hearing how one plays can be quite a surprise. It's worth doing, if only for that, and, whatever the 'quality' of the technique used, it's a benchmark for when it's wanted for public consumption. I use my Logitech webcam, which has a built-in mic. I convert to Youtube format using VideoPad, but there are on-line converters, too. No expense involved, and the 'quality' is easily good enough for my poor playing. Good experience, though, and very instructive. Have a go..?

It's good for spotting and thus avoiding posture problems too, i.e slouching or playing with badly bent wrists, the kind of thing that can cause health problems, bad backs, carpel tunnel etc.

Edited by ambient
  • Like 2

I like to leave the negative comments so everyone can see the poster for what they are. At least they care enough to post a comment. I enjoy the whole process and that's all that's important for me. If other people like the music that's a bonus. If they don't, there's plenty of other music on the net they will enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1