Why become a member? ×

Getting back on the horse

davidmpires

Hi everyone, 

I played in covers bands for years both in London and Portugal, in 2010 however a series of events meant that I stopped playing. It wasn't anything serious, I was getting married, started to take a 4 year evening degree and our drummer at the time was having his first child, meaning the band was gone. Our last gig was at the Roadhouse in Covent Garden a place I always wanted to play at. 

At the time I played a Spector Euro LX as well as a T-bass with Mark Bass F1 a Barefaced 1x15 plus a TC 2x10. Sweet setup. Knowing that it would be a while before I got back onto playing I sold everything but the T-Bass. Time has flown and I still lurked here every so often as well watching bass videos on you tube. 

This week I bought a Vox amplug to start playing again without annoying anyone at home and my question is, what's your advice to someone getting back to playing? I have no intentions of playing outside the house, but I'd like to not get stuck playing the same licks over and over. Also I'm sure technology has improved meaning there are new things I might not know about which are handy for players.  

Thanks in advance, it feels good to be back.

David

Edited by davidmpires

Buy Rocksmith for PC. thirty thousand unofficial free songs to learn.

Once you get used to the display it becomes the easiest way to play songs by the original artists.

It helped me get back up to speed after a 26 year lay-off. Now playing far better than ever :) Learnt songs that were too complicated to do by ear, like Rush and Yes songs. It's helped me to write basslines for my originals band too 

Edited by bazzbass

Welcome back david,
I had stopped playing too, and for much the same reasons as yourself
Only difference - I stopped for nearly 25 years! :o

Now I'm enjoying it more than ever though - so result
@bazzbass - I'd never heard of that software either....
Looks rather tricky to see what's going on to me.... but that's probably just me lol

EDIT: Mind you, at first I was watching it with the ad over part of the picture! 

Edited by Marc S

You Tube is your friend here. There are lots of online bass schools that use you tube to advertise the types of lessons they give.  I would recommend checking out the following people:

Janek Gwizdala

Scotts Bass Lessons

Jayme Lewis

Adam Neely

Once you get an idea of who would give you the most inspiration, you could either sign up to their school, or just take advantage of all you  Tube has to offer.

The amplug has arrived and it's damn impressive. Superb sound for the £.  I have also installed the ultimate guitar app and they have a ton of tabs. The app allows connection to Spotify as well as looping sections for practice such as solos. Realistic sounds or just the weird midi ones. 

@Crawford13 I have been watching Scott's lessons online, the guy is good. 

1 hour ago, bazzbass said:

how did we ever learn stuff in the old days, lift the needle, back a little bit, oops too much forward a bit oops too much.....

If we were lucky there was piano music for it, having to transpose it for bass lol oh my, it's SO easy now.

There is a lot to help now, but to be honest it has a lot of downfalls to! We can all learn from looking to the past, my ears have gotten so much better since I made the conscious decision not to look for scores / tab for songs I want to learn, and just transcribe by ear.

That being said learning theory helps as it narrows down possible note Choices and make the process much quicker.

1 hour ago, Crawford13 said:

my ears have gotten so much better since I made the conscious decision not to look for scores / tab for songs I want to learn, and just transcribe by ear.

That being said learning theory helps as it narrows down possible note Choices and make the process much quicker.

agree 100%. It's taken me a couple of years before my musical ear came back after a 25 year lay off.

I worked out a bassline for a young bassist and he and the rest of the community were AMAZED that I worked it out just by listening to it. They had no concept of it at all. TBH it was easy to work out, a Bruce Springsteen slow song :)

• Like 1

On 1/4/2018 at 05:05, bazzbass said:

how did we ever learn stuff in the old days, lift the needle, back a little bit, oops too much forward a bit oops too much.....

If we were lucky there was piano music for it, having to transpose it for bass lol oh my, it's SO easy now.

Yes indeed! :)  YouTube is not just your friend... but your bestest ever buddy

Welcome back to the fold!

I'd also give a vote for Rocksmith - if you get it through Steam on your PC it's regularly available for just a few quid. As well as learning to play songs there are plenty of technique exercises / mini-games, a 'session' mode where various instruments play along with you at whatever speed and style you're playing. It's very clever. You'll need a special Rocksmith cable but you can pick these up for about £10. It talks you through the display, how to read it etc. and is really accessible. 

2 hours ago, Patster1969 said:

I've got Rocksmith on my X-Box 360, didn't find it as useful as the guys above but maybe I wasn't using it properly - assume that it's the same version as the PC version?

I think all versions are the same. I like it for being able to play along to songs easily and quietly even late at night, but I'm sure that's possible by other means!

5 hours ago, Rikki_Sixx said:

I think all versions are the same. I like it for being able to play along to songs easily and quietly even late at night, but I'm sure that's possible by other means!

That's what I've been doing with the amplug and the mobile phone connected. Learning "Locked out of heaven" after being inspired by another thread. 

I'm still amazed at the sound from the amplug through the headphones. 

12 hours ago, Patster1969 said:

I've got Rocksmith on my X-Box 360, didn't find it as useful as the guys above but maybe I wasn't using it properly - assume that it's the same version as the PC version?

No, getting RockSmith on PC allows you to use unofficial DLC created by the public. 30,000 songs that RockSmith can't get licensing for, like The Beatles, Led Zep etc. I figure I have bought their albums, and CDs, AND remastered CDs many many times, so my conscience is clear on this.

Heck I still buy CDs, have never downloaded free music, so this is my only freebie.

Edited by bazzbass
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2018 at 03:47, bazzbass said:

RockSmith on PC allows you to use unofficial DLC created by the public.

I bought Rocksmith on steam for precisely this reason: I have it on PS4 but the songs available on customsforge.com require jail-breaking the hardware which is a no-no. 

It was available on amazon for £8 for a while.

Best £8 I've ever spent. 

On 06/01/2018 at 03:47, bazzbass said:

RockSmith on PC allows you to use unofficial DLC created by the public. 30,000 songs that RockSmith can't get licensing for

Holy heck, I had no idea about this. There's so much DLC that I was considering buying but the prices are crazy (compared to when I played stuff like Guitar Hero and Rock Band). I'll be all over this next time I load it up, thanks for pointing it out!