Why become a member? ×

P Bass Gas - Vintage - re issue - custom shop

deepbass5

5 minutes ago, gareth said:

Fender did do (and bravewood also do if asked) a precision with a jazz width (A) 1 and 1/2 inch nut neck. 

I inadvertantly picked a 73 Fender P neck and body on here years ago and it had a Jazz width nut on it. It also has the bigliest 70's brass nut on it. I do sometimes wonder about flogging it and getting a Bravewood sunburst to match my Jazz again but then realise that I need to get a grip becaue I don't actually play either of them anyway!

1515334060895896401400.jpg

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I've already spent that kind of money on high end basses. 

If I had the choice today, I'd keep my 4k and go on vacation and buy a Vintage Series Harley Benton Jazz or P Bass for $149.00

Blue

Are you allowed holidays Blue. xD

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

@deepbass5 I'm not selling, but if you wanted to try a vintage 1973 P (on left) and an AVRI (on right) side-by-side through the same rig(s), you're welcome to pop over to my place in Swindon - offer comes with hot/cold beverages and convivial company of course!

3_Precisions.jpg

And similarly if you want a northern East Midlands ish offer to go with that, I have:

64 P

74 P

09 AVRI P

;)

• 2 weeks later...

How did you get on? I recently went through a similar process, although I already had a 58 AVRI, when I was considering a 50's Road Worn. I ended up with the RW for a variety of reasons, the neck being shallower making it easier to play for me and the sound a little more mellow. I did try a genuine 62 vintage during this exercise and was a little underwhelmed, but I'm sure that there is a huge variety of quality out there. Weirdly, having got the RW I've rediscovered some love for the AVRI. So now what!?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

Thought i should close the loop on this one, and announce I have taken the plunge and bought a CS 62 P bass relic.

Having missed out on the Nash that came up on here from Croatia,  I then saw a 60's P come up on the Bravewood site and bombarded him with e-mails only to find it was a ghost page that popped up during editing of a bass that had been sold some time ago.  So a CS bass seemed the sensible route, but it would be at least June before i had the funds, then this came up at a greatly reduce r.r.p.

wrong timing but the right bass so had to go for it, which is why i didn't get the time to take you up on your kind offers of trying your axes first. But Thanks

The neck wood and Rosewood board are beautiful, my wife commented  "its a bit knocked about isn't it"

CS 62 relic.JPG

• Like 2

On 03/01/2018 at 17:11, Monkey Steve said:

This - due diligence.  If you're going to spend silly money on a vintage instrument then, like a guitarist mate of mine did when he went to look at a vintage Strat, you're perfectly entitled to take your screwdrivers with you to make sure that the neck matches the body and the paint, pickups and pots all tie up.

Absolutely. You can never be too careful. I once bought a bass from a well-known purveyor of vintage instruments only to find that the neck and body didn’t begin life together.

Funny I was real tempted by a sunburst Lull PJ 5 at Bassdirect back last year, but bad timing and I have too many fives, and have not got the gigs now that warrant the 5's hence trying to get back to my roots on a four string P and felt I deserve a good - un. Because I'm worth It :friends:

Anyone fancy an Mbass 5 ?