Why become a member? ×

P Bass Gas - Vintage - re issue - custom shop

deepbass5

I bought a AVRI 62 Precision a year or so back. Compared to my original one the neck was not quite as wide and shallow but still a surprisingly close  copy. Plays and sounds just like the old one did back in 1964 when I sold it. (Idiot!!)

One big benefit with the reissues is that this time around I got a case with it! The original was sold to me in its original cardboard box!

One further thought: The japanese reissue 62 I bought first and dumped very quickly was not even close. The American one is.

Are you buying to play or as an investment? If the former, try them and choose without regard for age, etc. Why not, as others suggest, look at road-worn repros/alternatives. I lusted after an L series P bass for several years but couldn't find anything that floated my boat (they're not common, but I found a few to try). If I do come across something nice that isn't stupidly expensive, I'll have it, but chances are slim, especially as collectors inflate the prices. I built a Bitsa to keep me going and it's surprisingly decent.

On 2 January 2018 at 21:45, Lozz196 said:

As far as I know Gary Mac on here is selling a 60s Precision that would fit the bill rather nicely. Removes all the trust issues as Gary is well known and respected on here, plus - I believe - is one of the Mods as well.

Thanks for the glowing reference Lozz, apprerciated.

I'm doing some digging around because I'm looking for a sonic blue AVRI '63 P bass at the moment. It seems Fender has been "re-imagining" the American Vintage range, so will be announcing new models very soon (around NAMM in a couple of weeks, I guess). If you're interested in the current sunburst AVRI '63, you'd better be quick. There are still a few available to buy from various shops, but it doesn't sound like you can order one from Fender. Apparently the replacement will be a "60s P bass", no longer specific to a model year. I'm waiting for more details (and ideally pics) from one of the shops on Denmark St. All I know so far is one of the colour options will be Lake Placid Blue. 

15 hours ago, PawelG said:

Try a JV Squier if you can. I was looking for a P Bass and my JV stays for life. And I did try quite a few 60’s P Basses.

There's a very clean (albeit red) 1983 JV Squier for sale at Notom on Denmark St at the moment. I tried it last week - really nice bass. I don't know how the price stacks up, but it might be worth a look. 

A P bass has to be the simplest electric guitar around. Two pieces of wood bolted together, one pickup, two pots and a socket, one capacitor and that's pretty well it. How on earth can they sound so different and why are some dogs whilst others are great? Is it magic?

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

A P bass has to be the simplest electric guitar around. Two pieces of wood bolted together, one pickup, two pots and a socket, one capacitor and that's pretty well it. How on earth can they sound so different and why are some dogs whilst others are great? Is it magic?

Yes you are right.

what would be good is a blind test with famous p bass players and see which basses they chose - might find that a Chinese affinity p bass wins

2 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

A P bass has to be the simplest electric guitar around. Two UNIQUE pieces of wood bolted together, one pickup, two pots and a socket, one capacitor and that's pretty well it. How on earth can they sound so different and why are some dogs whilst others are great? Is it magic?

See quote edit for a significant part of the answer.

Edited by wateroftyne

I played P's of all prices (£350 to about £6k) when I was shopping around for one 18 months ago - I ended up with a Custom Shop ('57 "Journey Man" to be exact), played a few of the different CS models though & they were all really nice. 

I'm sure some proper vintage ones would be better but a few of the ones I tried really weren't so it's definitely a try before you buy with them.

Edited by Lw.

1 hour ago, deepbass5 said:

I totally agree with these last few posts, I rarely plug a bass in when in a shop. A good one will talk to you acoustically, the construction feel and set up will come through. 

I tend to do the same. What are the factors that really speak to you? Resonance, weight, neck feel & shape ....? How do these come together in a way that makes one bass "great, I'll take it" and another "hmm....not for me"? I tried a great-looking Japanese Marcus Miller Jazz at The Bass Gallery recently. I couldn't get on with it at all, but the next chap into the store 5 mins later bought it on the spot. 

I have more experiance with Strats than with P basses in this dept .

I own a pre -CBS Strat , I have had a few Custom Shop Strats ( all sold now ) but my main go-to guitar is a JV Squier 62' .

I love the pre -CBS , the smell ,the vibe and the feel of history ,but its value means i get nervous about taking it out .

The JV is great ,great tone , great feel , it  just has that massive strat ring when played unplugged . Because it says Squier on the headstock , the tealeaves are less likely to target it . 

Interesting thread that caused me to revisit my '66P again.  When I was looking to buy I deliverately sought out a vintage bass that had been played rather than cherished, so to speak, in the hope that the wear would point to a bass that people had enjoyed.  So my bass has scratches, wear marks and pickguard that is slighly warped and a few corrosion marks on the hardware.  To my ears, and those of others it sounds great though.  The neck has a beautiful feel to and I enjoy playing it as often as possible.

_MG_0001.thumb.JPG.df85370ffca1c760942866b5ddacdd68.JPG_MG_0027.thumb.JPG.a5aa9dd82335facfc68d2d42251449b5.JPG

_MG_0002.thumb.JPG.2c412c880201b1ae25cdbba6eaf11ec6.JPG

Edited by ead
  • Like 1

He is building new ones. Approx 1.5K. Resale is solid. Not too much to think about there. I used to own a 63 alike Bravewood P. It scratched exactly the same itch that my 66 Jazz does. I just relised that I do not like P nut widths so it went. It was very lovely though. 

8DQjGdP.jpg

Edited by owen

2 minutes ago, owen said:

He is building new ones. Approx 1.5K. Resale is solid. Not too much to think about there. I used to own a 63 alike Bravewood P. It scratched exactly the same itch that my 66 Jazz does. I just relised that I do not like P nut widths so it went. It was very lovely though. 

Fender did do (and bravewood also do if asked) a precision with a jazz width (A) 1 and 1/2 inch nut neck.