Why become a member? ×

P Bass Gas - Vintage - re issue - custom shop

deepbass5

Hi Guys

May well pull the trigger on a 60's P bass this year - Sunburst, rosewood board, Tort guard - wide nut job

So should i risk 4-6k on a vintage instrument and risk buying a re finished Bitsa bass and possible fake

Pay half that on a pukka Fender Custom shop re-pro that will be of good quality and playability 

Or pay half that again and go for an 80's or 90's re issue and risk a getting dog or lemon

I am currently thinking middle ground here, so help me out if you have experience in any of the above

Cheers

As long as you try before you buy and you're happy with it and its what you want money shouldn''t be the deciding factor at that budget.

Not sure i would spend that much on a vintage bass to be fair but that's just a personal opinion. Not sure what you'd gain over a newer re-issue but i don't have the experience to judge.

Dave

• Like 1

I would be happy with the quality of a Bravewood Nash or Limelight but they don't come up that often.

I can't see myself shelling out thousands unless it came with 1st hand reliable history from a trusted source,  unlikely.  but it would probably be a good investment than sat in the bank re - Brexit etc.

I started out on a 77 precision, a good one, and was aware of those that weren't - Dead spots etc. I also tried a lot of new ones through the 80's and 90's but felt the quality was seldom there.

But i agree with comments in the other thread that is running that with modern materials and machining etc there could well be some good P basses in this millennium that rival 40 year old models

I intend to try as many as possible and try and stay focused on feel and sound quality, even if the best has been resprayed in Mr Blobby colours

Edited by deepbass5

Play everything and anything you can get your hands on. My experience with P basses is that I have played custom shop and vintage instruments that if I was blind folded I would have guessed they were squires, and vice versa. You might find your perfect instrument is a lot more affordable than you first thought!

• Like 1

Not sure how to post the link to the  above mentioned in the for sale thread, but I would give it serious consideration if I were looking. Good luck with your search

oops P bass search. Sorry inappropriate content 😀

Edited by GuyR

As far as I know Gary Mac on here is selling a 60s Precision that would fit the bill rather nicely. Removes all the trust issues as Gary is well known and respected on here, plus - I believe - is one of the Mods as well.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

As far as I know Gary Mac on here is selling a 60s Precision that would fit the bill rather nicely. Removes all the trust issues as Gary is well known and respected on here, plus - I believe - is one of the Mods as well.

If it's still for sale, Gary Mac's 66 Precision looks fantastic. There's also a nice AVRI '62 that was for sale by Gareth, again not sure if it's still available. 

17 hours ago, deepbass5 said:

Hi Guys

May well pull the trigger on a 60's P bass this year - Sunburst, rosewood board, Tort guard - wide nut job

So should i risk 4-6k on a vintage instrument and risk buying a re finished Bitsa bass and possible fake

Pay half that on a pukka Fender Custom shop re-pro that will be of good quality and playability 

Or pay half that again and go for an 80's or 90's re issue and risk a getting dog or lemon

I am currently thinking middle ground here, so help me out if you have experience in any of the above

Cheers

When I got back in to bass playing, some 15 years ago now, I just had my old Yamaha bb1200 - an excellent bass - but I fancied a fender precision and a mate of mine whose band I had just joined was a dealer.

he bought 5 Precisions for me to try - 4 60's and a 1982 American vintage reissue

price wise the avri was £500 and the others were £1000 to £2000

i chose the avri!

i still have it 

I have the AVRI '57 in white blonde and the AVRI '62 3TS, strung with GHS Precision Flats or LaBellas. I could never afford a real vintage - these are perfect P- basses to me, the best I'll ever have I'm sure. If you've got too much cash, do what you want with but I don't think you'll see, feel or hear a difference worth the extra IMHO ¬¬

I brought this beauty last year, it is a 2016 CS 62 Precision, it is, for me, the perfect Precision bass, I couldn't really afford to shell out for a genuine 62 Precision and even if I did I would be reluctant to take it out and gig it so this whilst still pricey is the best of both worlds for me, that said I also own a sunburst Road worn Precision and whilst the colours are less vibrant on the Road worn playability, weight and sound wise there is definitely not a couple of thousand pounds difference between the two

P1020882.JPG

P1020883.JPG

P1020884.JPG

P1020881.JPG

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Sibob said:

Buy whichever bass is best (in your opinion)?!

You can avoid lemons by trying them before you buy. You can afford fake vintage stuff by doing due dilligence and asking advice on here.

Simples

Si

This - due diligence.  If you're going to spend silly money on a vintage instrument then, like a guitarist mate of mine did when he went to look at a vintage Strat, you're perfectly entitled to take your screwdrivers with you to make sure that the neck matches the body and the paint, pickups and pots all tie up.