Why become a member? ×

Backdrops - worth it?

redbandit599

2 minutes ago, mike257 said:

This has double the maximum weight loading of the Thomann one too, so potentially a better buy if you're planning to rig some lighting from it too.

To be fair the vinyl banner isn't that heavy but quite durable and can be rolled up easily and kept in a tube container.

When i use thelights i had 3 spots, 2 projectors and a lazer mounted on the crossbeam and it took it no problem at all. The side stands also have additional arms that fit half way down the main shaft to take an additional 2 spots on each side  so plenty of scope there.

Dave 

19 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

this is what we bought back in 2013

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004L14X7U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

when it arrived it seemed flimsy but it has survived well over 100 gigs, it fits in our mic stand bag along with the banner

Good buy at that price.

we use a couple of pull up banners for quick get in gigs and a proper printed fire certificated one, which is great for more established venues that require the proper paperwork

the pull ups were £23 each and the full cert one was about £220 i think, the print quality on that one is superb, its just set up at our rehearsal place in the pic.

overall i think they were both good purchases.

full6.png

20171030_191303.jpg

• Like 3

Is anyone capable of putting up their backdrop without having nasty looking creases in it?

One of the reasons my band gave up using ours (apart from the fact that we lost half the stand at a gig) was that it was near impossible to keep crease free, and if we didn't it looked rubbish when we put it up.

8 minutes ago, winterfire666 said:

the large one we use hangs perfectly and folds up without creases...

This one actually looks pretty good, but generally I think they're tasteless, tacky and a right pain in the bum. There, I've said it. :D An insert for the kick drum works OK though, there's nothing worse than pics of your band playing with some other band's name on the kick. That is, if you're on a multi-bill and there's just the one kit.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Is anyone capable of putting up their backdrop without having nasty looking creases in it?

One of the reasons my band gave up using ours (apart from the fact that we lost half the stand at a gig) was that it was near impossible to keep crease free, and if we didn't it looked rubbish when we put it up.

Bungee cords will keep it stretched out with creases when hanging

A friend of mine has a couple of those tall thin advertising pull ups for his band, and I can't quite decide if it looks naff because of the thoughtless design, (think plain white background and comic sans type font from MS Office), or that it simply betrays their day jobs as office workers trying a bit too hard. Not against then per se, just that that a poor visual ident can have a negative effect. If you can't do it justice then it might be better not to do it at all.

If you can't/don't have a backdrop then you could just get the singist to remind the punters of the bands name every few songs.

25 minutes ago, Shambo said:

...think plain white background and comic sans type font from MsS cOffice..

Comic Sans is a blight on modern life.

...a poor visual ident can have a negative effect...

Absolutely. The saying 'no such thing as bad publicity' is rubbish, imho.

...If you can't do it justice then it might be better not to do it at all.... ...just get the singist to remind the punters of the band's name...

Quite. This means having a good memorable name, but it has to be one that the singer is comfortable with. If they say 'thanks very much, we're called Mike's Massive Moobs'  after every song, the band could well be remembered for the wrong reasons...

Edited by discreet

• 1 month later...

3m x 2m Backdrop from printlitt. Two wind up speaker stands and a little bit of scaffold pole that can be disassembled in seconds to 2 x 2m lengths. Very useful for some nice led lighting too. Total outlay of under £200 (excluding lights) and easily fits in the van (transit connect).

15241952_10153934047876372_6077468164424455144_n.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, discreet said:

Having it lit is a great idea. Transforms the backdrop from a bit of rag to something that looks much more pro. Nice work.

The lights also reflect off the drummer's bald patch back onto the backdrop for added effect ;-)

• Haha 1

We use a three pole system that you can either run straight across the back as in the pic or as an L shape.

We hang a blackout cloth from it and hang a small banner in the middle.

We have three LED Par lamp bars.

So every pic you have taken or shoot yourself on facebook - they all look similar - no dartboards, ship's wheels, blackboards etc.

backdrop2.jpg

• Like 1

We have a largish vinyl item with brass eyes that is fixed to a curtain rail held by two old speaker stands.  We use a few tie-wraps to secure it to the frame.  I'd guess it's about 3m wide by 2m high, maybe slightly less.

Sorry no pics to hand but it all folds down very nicely and goes up (and down) pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, ead said:

We have a largish vinyl item with brass eyes that is fixed to a curtain rail held by two old speaker stands.  We use a few tie-wraps to secure it to the frame.  I'd guess it's about 3m wide by 2m high, maybe slightly less.

Sorry no pics to hand but it all folds down very nicely and goes up (and down) pretty quickly.

Try the short bungee chords. Lot easier to clip on and off than cable ties and with them being stretch they take up any creases in the backdrop.

Dave

On 2/6/2018 at 15:16, mrtcat said:

3m x 2m Backdrop from printlitt. Two wind up speaker stands and a little bit of scaffold pole that can be disassembled in seconds to 2 x 2m lengths. Very useful for some nice led lighting too. Total outlay of under £200 (excluding lights) and easily fits in the van (transit connect).

15241952_10153934047876372_6077468164424455144_n.jpg

Nice bass rig sitting there too.