Why become a member? ×

Backdrops - worth it?

redbandit599

1 hour ago, redbandit599 said:

I'm thinking more about something along the larger side to cover up the dartboard, meat raffle posters and other random pub stuff than trying to use it for promoting the band in particular.

I like the idea of a simple pattern on a black background that would look good under lights. Big enough to reach out either side of the drums and be behind myself  and the guitarist.

It's the rigging/ lugging  of it that makes me wonder if it is worth it.

In that case then a cheapish photographic backdrop as Steve Browning suggested could well be the way to go.  When I was looking (not that hard, admittedly) for a printed backdrop it seemed that apart from the pop up style then everything was fairly heavyweight vinyl, which then requires a relatively sturdy set of stands.  Photographic backdrops can be a lot lighter and hence the stands don’t need to be so heavy and bulky.  There are loads on eBay.

What about 3 or so tall advertising style ones mentioned before (especially if they can be "partially" opened so that you can get them too tall and reach the ceiling in 90% of situations and then a backdrop that fastens to the banners to block out everything behind?  Not sure if anything like that exists but it works in my head

Most of those tend to have a metal pole behind them. The set up I got consists of tripod stands in 4 parts. We can use any combination of 2 to 4 stands (depending on the span) and drape the cloth over the bar at whichever height it is set. I would also think that the weight of the cloth would be a fair bit for the advertising stands. We have one of those and I wouldn't want to add any extra weight to it.

1 hour ago, Nicko said:

We use a vinyl banner which rolls up for transport.  The banner is fitted with brass eyeleys, and we have made some poles which are fitted with hooks.  The poles fit to the lighting stand and we hand the banner from them.  If we are putting up lights the banner takes seconds to put up.  The only issue is when we get squeezed into a corner rather than against a flat wall. 

We do the same. We've not yet failed to tie it up to something and it causes the absolute minimum of disruption. 

We had a large rectangular vinyl banner, but it wasn't always easy to fix it onstage.

Then we started using a much smaller one, with a couple of standing poles. It was easy to set at the front of the stage, although on some stages we were too low and not many people would see it. The reason we wanted it is because we see lots of people taking pictures, and at least they'll have our name there. So many 'casual punters' asks us our name after a gig at non ticketed events, despite being advertised at the venue and our announcements...

But then we lost the poles.

And sometimes we are close to losing the banner too...

16143155_10154881517853798_2174992551122

8 hours ago, Silvia Bluejay said:

We also have flyers on the tables! It's important to keep in mind that the Dogs are a pub rock cover band, and have no desire to look in their photos like they're playing Wembley Arena, when everybody knows most of the times it's the Dog and Duck (and that's how they like it!). :)

Just finding the middle ground really ,like tidying all your boxes away and chucking a couple of lights on .Light nights are a bummer for atmosphere as well .I find pubs who've made an effort with a designated area and a few lights tend to get better punters in rather than waiting for someone to finish his scampi to move them etc .Backdrop can be handy for marking your space 

Few yrs back 2012 my wife did the art work and the local council Graphic Design / print Dept made a vinyl banner approx 10' x 2' for not a lot of money. Might be worth looking into your local council see if they do it. 

Here's the artwork she did for a tribute to Deep Purple banner rather than a full backdrop that's hidden behind a drummer. Had loops around the edge to hang onto the lighting rigs..

Stormbringer logo.jpg

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1

We use a combination of a traditional backdrop and a couple of the pull up exhibition style ones. The pull ups are miles quicker and easier to set up.

They were made for us by Al at Signs by AlYerPal (he's on Facebook under that business name). We provided our own designs but he can help with that too. Prices are very good, I've recommended him to quite a few folk who've all been very happy.

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 05:40, Gottastopbuyinggear said:

As an aside, that photo reminds me perfectly of the gig - the hi hat stand was missing the bolt that locks the legs in place, so I spent the whole gig with my foot on one of the legs so the whole thing didn’t fall over!

no gaffa tape?

I think they`re a good idea, however can a bit impractical on a multi-band bill, with only 15 minute changeovers between each band.

Must admit though, it`s a great one for the photo-album playing on stage in front of your fave bands backdrop when you`ve been lucky enough to gig with them.

This is what a 3x2m looks like on a smallish club stage.  We could easily have gone wider and lost a bit of the space between my logo and the website/facebook links.

Also, when I had it made, I had eyelets put into the corners, bought a good length of boating/braided paracord which was easy to loop round something at every venue I played and then pulled it tight with a slipknot.

17966651_10212692278723799_6724315232527

Edited by NancyJohnson

11 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I used some cheap short to medium bungee cords to hook ours with. The fact they stretch a little takes up any slack in the banner too.

Now why didn't I think of that? I've got plenty of bungee cords around the place, just never considered them for that purpose! Excellent idea!

On 1/3/2018 at 13:50, charic said:

I used the Maplin version of this altho it comes as 2 normal side stands that will also take the crossbeam if required. 

Otherwise they can be used at the side or front to side stage light rigs.

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/goal-post-stage-lighting-stand-gt62s

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

I used the Maplin version of this altho it comes as 2 normal side stands that will also take the crossbeam if required. 

Otherwise they can be used at the side or front to side stage light rigs.

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/goal-post-stage-lighting-stand-gt62s

This has double the maximum weight loading of the Thomann one too, so potentially a better buy if you're planning to rig some lighting from it too.