Why become a member? ×

Lakland Skyline Duck Dunn (aka 44-64)

fretmeister

Anyone got one of these basses?

They seem to have a great online reputation, and from a few reviews seem to be lighter than a Fender P. 

The narrower neck appeals too.

I quite fancy a good passive P and it doesn't have to be a Fender, and as Duck Dunn probably has my favourite precision sound it seems like a bit of a no-brainer if the Skyline series are up to it.

All thoughts welcome, particularly about the weight of them - if I couldn't get one under 8.5lb then this idea is a non-starter.

ta.

Also note that the 44-64 is modelled after a 1964 Precision neck I believe (i.e. a 'C' neck).....it's the 44-64 Custom that has a Jazz neck!

You can also get a 44-64 Custom P/J (obviously with an added Jazz pickup), I had one of these and I didn't fall in love with it, it wasn't as cool as the Skyline DJ4 I had. Ultimately both went back to fund a custom US 44-94.
I'd definitely have another DJ4 if it was as good as the one I had, but would need to shop around to find a nice 44-64 should I revisit it. But the 44-94 more than covers both of them to be fair (mine is a passive P/J).

Si

Edited by Sibob

I should say that my 44-64 Custom P/J sounded good, was a reasonable weight and played well, but there were a few niggling finish issues that I couldn't let go. An anomaly I think, as my DJ4 was great and so is my 55-01. 

I could have swapped it out for another one with Guitar Guitar, but ultimately put the money towards my US Lakland, and glad I did.

I think you find a good'n used, or are able to try a few in a shop, pick the best one....you're onto a winner!

Si

I had one of the earlier ones, probably over 10 years ago.  It was a lot heavier than my current 1973 Precision, Sadowsky Metro HPJ or Nate Mendell Precision.  I must say that it sound good with the Lindy Fralin pick-up.  The neck was superb but then again so is the HPJ and the Nate. 

10 hours ago, obbm said:

I had one of the earlier ones, probably over 10 years ago.  It was a lot heavier than my current 1973 Precision, Sadowsky Metro HPJ or Nate Mendell Precision.  I must say that it sound good with the Lindy Fralin pick-up.  The neck was superb but then again so is the HPJ and the Nate. 

Looks like the Duck Dunn is a non-starter on the weight then.

The Mendel interests me though. I just looked at the specs of the neck. Sort of in between the J and P. Much like my Urge II I think. 

Might have to try one of those instead, even if I change the pickup to something more subtle!

2 hours ago, fretmeister said:

Looks like the Duck Dunn is a non-starter on the weight then.

The Mendel interests me though. I just looked at the specs of the neck. Sort of in between the J and P. Much like my Urge II I think. 

Might have to try one of those instead, even if I change the pickup to something more subtle!

The Duck Dunn is as much of a non-starter as the Nate Mendel if that is your reasoning.....they're production models, they're all going to vary in weight, someone above mentioned they had a Dunn which was very light. You just have to try some, don't buy blind is the key. Or if you do, check the returns/refund policy.

Si

8.5lbs is pretty light, and Skyline's aren't renowned for their light weight.

*WARNING: WoT'S PREDICTABLE STANDARD RESPONSE ALERT*

For the thick end of a grand you could pick up a nice light Maruszczyk Jake. Like this one:

https://www.public-peace.de/bass-guitars/maruszczyk/jake/4-string/515-jake-4p-heavy-aged-classic140400

• Like 1

Another warning about Lakkie weights; I've owned a few Lakland Skylines (JO BG DJ) and NONE have been 9lb (never mind less), most have clocked in closer/beyond 10lb.  I've heard multiple people say they've had uberlight Lakkies (particularly DJ models) but not one has been able to put them on digital scales and post a pic!  Oh and tread very warily of the seller who says that it is 'the lightest P bass they've ever played' (they've only played 1) or that the bathroom scales read less than 9lb... I've got the T shirt for those replies!  :)  

• Like 1

If the 8.5lbs weight without trying a number of basses is a deal-breaker (to find a decent weighted production model, be it Lakland or Fender etc), then I'd be looking at Maruszczyk. I specified a chambered body for my build, 33" scale with Ultralite tuners and it came in at 7.2lbs. Sounded massive too! Not to mention that they have so much stock on their site that you can search through and pick one with the weight you want pretty easily if you don't want to commission a custom.

Si

Edited by Sibob

2 hours ago, Sibob said:

If the 8.5lbs weight without trying a number of basses is a deal-breaker (to find a decent weighted production model, be it Lakland or Fender etc), then I'd be looking at Maruszczyk. I specified a chambered body for my build, 33" scale with Ultralite tuners and it came in at 7.2lbs. Sounded massive too! Not to mention that they have so much stock on their site that you can search through and pick one with the wight you want pretty easily if you don't want to commission a custom.

Si

7.2 lb!

That would be amazing.

I wonder how light they could get a 5 string to be.

My Maruszczyk Jake was based on the specs of a Duck Dunn I had blocked and bound neck matching headstock I decided against a jazz pickup at the bass , this comes in at around 7.5 lbs , I've had several laklands Dj , Bob Glaub , and loved them however I now have 2 Jakes and they are at least the equal if not better than the laklands , 

i had the bass pictured below up for sale I have since come to my senses and removed it 

IMG_5307.jpg

• Like 2