Why become a member? ×

P (or P/J) Bass 5 string & neck through?

Al Krow

I had one, briefly- imported it from Japan.  Lovely thing, not overly heavy but too heavy for me -  I believe I got the weight down to 9.3kg using ultralite tuners.  VERY narrow spring spacing, especially at the bridge.  I read somewhere that it was basically a BB3000 body and neck which, if it isn't true, gives an idea of the string spacing.  Different tone to the later BBs and absolutely top quality.  Lost a shed load of cash on mine when I sold it due to a truss rod issue. :(

Oooh I agree it's lovely! Is that BB 5000 also a neck through?

And the Yammy BB 735a or P35 is right at the top of my list, so I'm definitely open to Yammys. (Btw - 'had' rather than 'have' a modern Yammy, dB...got traded for a lovely Ibby - which is why I'm back on the look out. Who invented that one in one out rule anyway?! :) )

Warwick and Spector do a lovely neck through but seem to both go for a reverse P pup arrangement (which I'm sure is fine) but don't seem to have any 5 stringers in their neck through P range. Similarly Schecter ESP also seem to have no 5ers in their P basses, I think?

@fretmeister you clearly only weigh as much as I need to lose (ideally by the end of January) :D

Nah, I'd be very happy with a Warwick or Spector PJ, I'm sure either would be marvellous. But I've only come across 4 string versions of their neck through PJs and yes dear @CuzzieI've had a trawl through both their websites and drawn a blank I'm afraid but I'm not too proud to pick the brains of my fellow BCers; many of them have wise and wonderful things to share! :) 

As someone who didn't manage to keep his hair on, once wisely said about a BC Rich Mockingbird: "I had a superb through neck BC Rich mockingbird, in natural maple with 2 reverse configuration P pups and it sounded like Thor...Only sold it because every time I played it I looked like a middle aged bloke having a mid life crisis. Which isn't actually too far from the truth."

So as someone who, like you, dear Cuzzie is also over 40 but, unlike you, has to parade himself regularly in front of live audiences, I really should give the Mockingbird a wide berth. Not least as it won't go with my shades :D

How are you not over 40?! Well at least that is a decent party to look forward to, then. I know a couple of bands with a shady bass player that would be delighted to traipse over to the West Country to help you see your 5th decade in...

• Like 1

On 02/01/2018 at 17:08, Cuzzie said:

I would say bring your singer, but I reckon it would get me in trouble with the Mrs......

ooooo I could Dep on a track, then that could count as my regular gig.....

What is it about our singer that you so singularly like (and that would get you in trouble with your Mrs)?! She does have awesome vocals. Cue excuse for shameless promotion (be good to get a few more hits on our recently uploaded clip)... :) 

Edited by Al Krow

25 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

What is it about our singer that you so singularly like (and that would get you in trouble with your Mrs)?! She does have awesome vocals. Cue excuse for shameless promotion (be good to get a few more hits on our recently uploaded clip)... :) 

On this evidence, she has a cracking pair of lungs . . .great voice.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

I would say bring your singer, but I reckon it would get me in trouble with the Mrs......

ooooo I could Dep on a track, then that could count as my regular gig.....

I have no Mrs - and on that basis you should bring her with you next time we meet, @Al Krow 😂

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pete.young said:

Mk1 Yamaha TRB5P would fit the bill. 

Good shout! 

Only issue is getting my hands on one (in a decent condition / finish). Anything in the current Yammy line up that comes up close to these older beauties?

7 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

Also, in a desperate effort to remain on topic, maybe get the meisters over at Maruszczyk to build you something gorgeous?

Appreciate you dragging this thread back from scrumpy-led-West-Country distraction! 

I'd prefer to avoid going bespoke if there is an 'actual' model already being made and available.

9 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

I have no Mrs - and on that basis you should bring her with you next time we meet, @Al Krow 😂

...she's got a BF (and getting married next year). However she would have no hesitation duet-ting with a vocal hottie like you Cam. Btw I've still got your 'Bit' 'Crusher' on loan, so I'm sure we can work something out on the side as a trade?

Edited by Al Krow

Awesome she has a BF, is it way better than your Vanderkley?

To Quote Bas those that get bespoke basses are posh rock stars with more money than sense, and the re sale value is no good. Apparently Basses are just for Xmas......

i May need to hold onto that quote, Bas has never been one to go back on an opinion...