Why become a member? ×

P (or P/J) Bass 5 string & neck through?

Al Krow

17 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Sounds like you've moved your BBNE2 on then - what's taken it's place?

I still have it, but I don't take it out to many gigs - it's too nice, and I'm not doing a lot at the moment anyway.

My go-to is an old Bass Collection 465 with Delanos and a Nordstrand pre-amp, that has a vast range of tones too and weights a little less than the BBNE2. Bolt-on neck though, so it wouldn't meet your requirements.

15 minutes ago, pete.young said:

I still have it, but I don't take it out to many gigs - it's too nice, and I'm not doing a lot at the moment anyway.

My go-to is an old Bass Collection 465 with Delanos and a Nordstrand pre-amp, that has a vast range of tones too and weights a little less than the BBNE2. Bolt-on neck though, so it wouldn't meet your requirements.

Yup, you've just flagged my biggest personal concern with getting gear that's "too nice!" 

Also really interesting that you've mentioned the Bass Collection 465... a little story I recently posted on another thread:

"Well I've just managed to move on my 1996 Fender Strat that was in pretty mint condition (showing how little use it had and why it deserved a more appreciative home!) and dropped it off to the guy who had bought it off me via eBay.

Turns out that he's a fellow bassist who set up a mixing and mastering company at the turn of the century. Invited me in for a cuppa and his current clients include, wait for it(!) MUSE, COLDPLAY, and TAKE THAT!! He was given Chris Martin's acoustic guitar as a gift! Lovely guy. He's recommended that I check out SGC Nanyo MIJ late 80s and 90s basses whose designs were apparently 'ripped off' by Ibanez (which I really rate)...any fans of SGCs on here?"

Seems like you're clearly one such fan then! The same guy I sold my Strat to, emailed me today to let me know there's a Bass Collection on eBay for £100 right now (and there a couple of other BC SGC Nanyos on there in the £170 to £250 price range)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2065413.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X183083924574.TRS0&_nkw=183083924574&_sacat=0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Bass-Collection-SGC-Nanyo-MIJ-Precision-Bass/232667758445?hash=item362c143f6d:g:7EkAAOSwHrVahvHE

Edited by Al Krow

8 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Seems like you're clearly one such fan then! The same guy I sold my Strat to, emailed me today to let me know there's a Bass Collection on eBay for £100 right now (and there a couple of other BC SGC Nanyos on there in the £170 to £250 price range)

I've downsized my collection and am down to 3.

100-150 is about the going rate for the SB310 (the basic active model), unless prices have jumped up recently. The one at 100 seems OK, the ones at 250 I reckon are overpriced. The one at 170 is an SB100, I'm not sure about these but they may have been made after the original SCG Nanyo company went bust and production got moved to other locations. To be fair, all the SB100s I've seen have been good quality.

Mick the Greek has had a few of these, and Happy Jack is the font of most of the knowledge - there's a thread called Obscure Musical Backwaters in the Bass Guitars forum which contains most of Jacks research (plus a load of photobucketed empty spaces!)

10 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Right so I'm doing the math and that means you currently have a Yammy BBNE2 (white?) a Bass Collection 465 and then a third mystery bass that has survived your cull. What I have worked out is that you're a big fan of MIJ basses :) 

Sorry, that's 3 Bass Collections - the SB465, a fretless SB320 and an SB310 that I should really move on. Plus the BB800 I've had since 1979 and a CIJ precision. Now you come to mention it, I guess I am a big fan of MIJ basses!