Why become a member? ×

P (or P/J) Bass 5 string & neck through?

Al Krow

@Cuzzie not sure any of the Peaveys you're suggesting are currently in production. Never heard or seen anyone play a Pedulla in real life. Alembics require a second mortgage - they're not really a bass guitar; more a low yield corporate bond.

So in conclusion thus far, there is nothing at a reasonable price (< £1,500) that is currently being made by any manufacturer that fits the bill?

Kinda looks like the former Yammy Ps with a neck through are still the best competition for the modern Yammy Ps without a neck through. 

Yep agreed, however I thought the point of the thread was to open the field of play, not just to say, meh, they are over 10 years old so there is no point looking at them, otherwise it’s a thread saying I would like to buy a new yammy 5 string PJ, is that ok with everyone?!

Things like Peary,  Vigier, or T bird, or Steniberger that have the pickups at about the sweet spot, will give you a neck through with a near P bass sound, so maybe don’t limit the search to split coils in the neck, but if you want a P bass sound, you need a P bass, and the P bass is a bolt on be it 3 bolts, micro tilts, 6 bolts etc. Accessible rod, neck off for truss adjustments etc. Some of the modern made basses are doing that as a retro thing like the Olinto P bass by Mas Hino (its beautiful BTW) to stay true to the origins.

But like AC/DC you like a fat bottomed girl (Bass I am talking) and that bulbous Yammy  BBP girl will be yours

Yup a complete naive newbie me, susceptible to the slings and arrows of outrageous advice from my West Country advisers, although at least I know the difference between a HPF and a LPF, thank goodness. And I do tend to avoid 12 string basses.

• Like 1

@Al Krow ‘it’s true my old bean, you caught me at a weak moment mixing my high pass and high cut terminology up, fairy muff, however you did only baulk at a 12 String once I explained (and you retained the info in your over 40s mind) what 3 courses of strings were, and then proceed to tell me that any octaver which was your flavour at the time would do a better job than an actual tuned string.

Not sure the band with on he new fab web site would cope with listing all your faux pas.....

21 minutes ago, dannybuoy said:

If you're open to bolt-ons, and don't mind the 'interesting' body shapes, Reverend basses are worth a look too. Some of them have a P pickup configuration within a larger Musicman style housing. 

Hey dB - if it's to be a bolt on, a modern Yammy will just do fine , as you and I know they are great basses!

Kinda shame that Warwick, Spector and Schecter don't extend their NT 4 string P basses range to a 5 string. It would kinda seem an obvious addition to the product line? Or that Ibbys don't even do a P bass in their BTB range.

Just now, Cuzzie said:

@Al Krow ‘it’s true my old bean, you caught me at a weak moment mixing my high pass and high cut terminology up, fairy muff, however you did only baulk at a 12 String once I explained (and you retained the info in your over 40s mind) what 3 courses of strings were, and then proceed to tell me that any octaver which was your flavour at the time would do a better job than an actual tuned string.

Not sure the band with on he new fab web site would cope with listing all your faux pas.....

Lol! Mate the only folk who are as interested in bass stuff (faux pas or not) as us BCers is well...other BCers. Which is why we spend so much of our spare time in the warm embrace of our fellow bass lovers.

Can you imagine the (zero) level of interest in the outside world as to whether Al Krow considers the DG Microtubes to be the 'year before last's' metal sound or changes his mind on the subject?! 

Might be going out on a limb here, but have you looked at one of Gibson's more recent designs? I know from experience that with the neck pickup soloed, my Thunderbird will do a pretty good "P-bass-on-steroids" approximation, and the more modern models tend to come with coil taps which might help you get a bit closer to that P/J sound. I'm pretty sure the 2013 and 2015 EB designs came with taps and, better still, were available as 5-strings. (I think they were both neck-through designs...)

22 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Nah, I'd be very happy with a Warwick or Spector PJ, I'm sure either would be marvellous. But I've only come across 4 string versions of their neck through PJs and yes dear @CuzzieI've had a trawl through both their websites and drawn a blank I'm afraid but I'm not too proud to pick the brains of my fellow BCers; many of them have wise and wonderful things to share! :) 

Spector WILL do a 5 string neckthru with P/J set up but only from their US custom shop. I have a friend in the US with one.... and it was pricey.

6 hours ago, cetera said:

Spector WILL do a 5 string neckthru with P/J set up but only from their US custom shop. I have a friend in the US with one.... and it was pricey.

Cheers for that and porbably the same with Warwick in Germany. 

But I suspect that in both cases you're taking about £2.5k+?

The neck through is really a nice to have rather than a must have - I just think they look great and supposedly add a bit of sustain, so if there was such a model it would be something I'd definitely consider.

But it's been interesting to confirm that there are currently NO (relatively mainstream) manufacturers making a NT+ P bass + 5 er. 

In which case a current Yammy BB will do just nicely; they are a lot of bass for the money.

Edited by Al Krow

30 minutes ago, pete.young said:

Interesting that - all the ones I've ever seen have been bolt-ons, and P/J 5s are fairly unusual. Got any pics? 

Sorry Pete Talking out my backside. Again !!. Was certain I'd saw one but looking through last year's photos on the SGC facebook page turned up nothing.

I have an original Ibanez SR1205 - through neck, thing of beauty. There is one on eBay that has been there a while. The price is excellent and, as it has been there a while, you might be able to persuade him to post outside of the US. Note about CITES, though.... The auction is here

You could then change the pickups to EMGs. I did this - a 40P in the neck and a 40DC in the bridge. I have had the bass since 2009. Other basses have come and gone...but this is the one that will be buried with me!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JimBobTTD said:

I have an original Ibanez SR1205 - through neck, thing of beauty. There is one on eBay that has been there a while. The price is excellent and, as it has been there a while, you might be able to persuade him to post outside of the US. Note about CITES, though.... The auction is here

You could then change the pickups to EMGs. I did this - a 40P in the neck and a 40DC in the bridge. I have had the bass since 2009. Other basses have come and gone...but this is the one that will be buried with me!

2 hours ago, Graham said:

Something like this?

http://www.emgpickups.com/bass/extended-series/5-string/40p.html

It's a P pickup in a soapbar enclosure, so you could have more luck finding a through-neck bass to install it in

Definitely a good suggestion, thanks. Although optically it somehow just feels wrong for P-pups to be housed in a soap bar?!

I'm also a massive fan of Ibbys and have a SR1206 (as well as the more modern SR1800). BUT I would just say, JimBob, that beauty is clearly in the eye of the beholder: IMHO there is no need for that particular bass with that particular finish being auctioned in your link really to ever leave the US! :D I guess it's the difference between a Pontiac Firebird and a Jaguar E type, both are fast...

Edited by Al Krow

Disagree with the optical illusion Bas, like or loathe the shape and finish  (I am predicting all kinds of obscure car references, lack of authenticity with a distressed finish etc.) in the Neck pick up is a split coil, housed in a humbucker tin.

BBFB0692-41EE-4600-A7C2-0599665113DB.jpeg.209b29061dc42b836475d9a0c763706a.jpeg

I would wager that optically this is way better for this bass. They even do a 5 String Bas, as you play in shades it’s right up your over 40s street.....

2 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Definitely a good suggestion, thanks. Although optically it somehow just feels wrong for P-pups to be housed in a soap bar?

I do know what you mean, seems wrong somehow, but it might be the easiest way of getting a 5 string, through neck P

2 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Disagree with the optical illusion Bas, like or loathe the shape and finish  (I am predicting all kinds of obscure car references, lack of authenticity with a distressed finish etc.) in the Neck pick up is a split coil, housed in a humbucker tin.

BBFB0692-41EE-4600-A7C2-0599665113DB.jpeg.209b29061dc42b836475d9a0c763706a.jpeg

I would wager that optically this is way better for this bass. They even do a 5 String Bas, as you play in shades it’s right up your over 40s street.....

Cheers Cuzz. I'm sure that will look good with you playing in front of your mirror at home; but unless I'm going to join Kiss I need to leave such jolly japes to you youngsters :D