Why become a member? ×

Fave and unfave music noises

Barking Spiders

20 hours ago, DJpullchord said:

Santana’s guitar sound.

I've never been much a fan of his music though I enjoyed the 'Love Devotion Surrender' record he did with John McLaughlin. I thought it might have been a door into more complex music for him but he didn't really have the harmonic chops to really fly there. 

Hate: For me, it's Prog tunes with guitar solos based around two chords a whole tone apart. Awful. Have they no shame? 

Nostalgia Jazz. Loath it. Completely misses the point. Circumstances occasionally force my hand but I am deeply uncomfortable with the approach. Also not a massive fan of the Increasingly Tedious American Songbook. 

Love: French Horn. Always have since I was a kid.

Edited by Bilbo

On ‎02‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 13:27, bonzodog said:

Surely the worst sound is what they refer to as the 'orchestral hit' that keyboards were over using throughout the 80s

Absolutely this. Dates a recording in the most unfortunate way and renders it unlistenable for me.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2018 at 13:27, bonzodog said:

Surely the worst sound is what they refer to as the 'orchestral hit' that keyboards were over using throughout the 80s

11 hours ago, GuyR said:

Absolutely this. Dates a recording in the most unfortunate way and renders it unlistenable for me.

Like the TR808 cowbell.  I hated that sound after Whitney Houston sat on the charts with I Wanna Dance with Somebody for an unacceptably long period of time in the eighties.

Thankfully hipsters have not tried to replicate the sound of the eighties by putting that damned *DINK* noise in every rhythm track on the popular charts.  It was flogged to death back then.  Retro can go and get stuffed if they ever bring it back!  It's definitely a sound sample for the techno age.  I wouldn't miss it if I never heard it again.

Edited by SpondonBassed

Favourite:  The real kick in the guts from bass pedals at live gigs (in case i have the terminology wrong I am referring to the ones that look like organ foot pedals).

Least favourite:  Probably synthesized hand claps.

8 hours ago, Graham said:

Favourite sounds, I do love a Mellotron, some wonderful, mournful tones available there.

I once saw a folk duo who mixed hurdy-gurdy and cello, which worked brilliantly

I have the 50th anniversary box set of Sgt Pepper and that opening on Strawberry Fields sounds wonderful on the 5.1 Blu-ray mix.  The flute sounds coming from the Mellotron are used to great effect.  As a child that one intro captivated me more than anything else that I could name.  I suppose it's why we have sampling now.

12 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

Favourite: I adore the sound of the harpsichord...

I love a harpsichord on disco.  I have just started thinking about how I might get a similar sound out of my plank.  What sort of effects would you need to do it on the cheap?  I suppose a filter and fully-featured compressor would be a start...

On reflection, I think that might be how slap got to be overly popular.  Sorry I spoke, carry on.

Edited by SpondonBassed

On 07/01/2018 at 17:38, Bilbo said:

Nostalgia Jazz. Loath it. Completely misses the point. Circumstances occasionally force my hand but I am deeply uncomfortable with the approach. Also not a massive fan of the Increasingly Tedious American Songbook. 

Care to elaborate? Are we talking about modern day dixieland bands? Gypsy jazz?