Why become a member? ×

Fave and unfave music noises

Barking Spiders

In this country BJ Cole has been probably the leading pedal steel player for years. Amongst his credits are sessions for

Sting, Robbie Williams, Robert Plant, David Gilmour, Gerry Rafferty, The Stranglers (!), Groove Armada and Tom Jones.

I believe he also still plays with Hank Wangford & the Lost Cowboys, a great band if you get chance to see them.

Favourite has to be uilleann pipes. Violin is also a favourite. I has decided that eventually I'm going to get myself into a Celtic folk band with fiddle, acoustic guitar, accordian and drums and run off with a red headed Irish lass. I've told my wife as well and she's given it the thumbs up 😁 I also love marching bands, the military snare is just amazing.

Not a fan of harmonica and I struggle with the sax.

7 minutes ago, Dad3353 said:

Hmm... From a great distance (across a glen or two..?), maybe..! ¬¬

There was a guy busking on bagpipes by where I go for my afternoon coffee a few weeks ago. It was extremely painful listening to him. It might just have been that he was cold, but it sounded awful :).

9 hours ago, Linus27 said:

Favourite has to be uilleann pipes. Violin is also a favourite. I has decided that eventually I'm going to get myself into a Celtic folk band with fiddle, acoustic guitar, accordian and drums and run off with a red headed Irish lass. I've told my wife as well and she's given it the thumbs up 😁 I also love marching bands, the military snare is just amazing.

+1 for the uilleann pipes. Wish I could have started learning them yonks ago but my parents aren't Irish curse them. Fiddles and accordians also work  for me in  celtic folk but elsewhere? No thanks.

Saxes? yup, great in funk brass sections (yeah technically I know they're wind instruments) but feckin terrible in 80s pop, mainly cos the  standard of playing is pretty entry level.

It might not be wise to say this on a bass forum but the musical sound that aggravates me more than anything is the octave pull used by slappers. 

Slapped notes I can cope with but octave pulls, particularly when used excessively (i.e. once more then every 10 minutes ;)) are just aurally awful IMO. 

11 hours ago, TheGreek said:

Love Sax's and Bassoons (why don't we hear more of these?) - hate distorted/overdriven guitars.

There's a whole lot of brass that gets overlooked.  It's a shame.  I love a sousaphone myself.

Interestingly, there was something played on 6music a few weeks back that featured a bassoon solo.  It blew me away but I neglected to note who it was.  There is hope for contemporary music after all.

I agree with a previous comment about synth brass not quite cutting it.

10 hours ago, Linus27 said:

I love Uilleann pipes too.  They have the good qualities of pipes without the drones so much.  Moving Hearts turned me onto them big time.

I realise that I have been mentioning more things that I like than that I dislike so far.

I find the drones on bagpipes tiresome.

Edited by SpondonBassed

1 hour ago, Osiris said:

It might not be wise to say this on a bass forum but the musical sound that aggravates me more than anything is the octave pull used by slappers. 

Slapped notes I can cope with but octave pulls, particularly when used excessively (i.e. once more then every 10 minutes ;)) are just aurally awful IMO. 

:$o.O ..ha ha well, as a big fan of slap bass I partly agree i.e. if octaves are the only notes being popped in a bassline  but otherwise I think they're pretty necessary in funk bass

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

if octaves are the only notes being popped in a bassline

Ahhh...Sometimes known as 'The Norman (Archer)', or a 'Doinker', with noises usually made by non slapping Bassists, in the wrong places, at the wrong time with more pulled force than a Medieval Bowman.***

:D

Edited by lowdown

11 hours ago, Linus27 said:

I also love marching bands, the military snare is just amazing.

You might be interested in this website.

The United States Marine Band - 'The Complete Marches of John Philip Sousa'.

Three albums (legally free to download, but MP3 only), along with the full scores and single instrument parts in PDF.

(Click on the individual track to get access to the score PDF's).

http://www.marineband.marines.mil/Audio-Resources/The-Complete-Marches-of-John-Philip-Sousa/

On 02/01/2018 at 16:05, ZilchWoolham said:

There are very few instruments I can't enjoy in the proper context, but pedal steel guitar gets awfully close, probably because I haven't really heard them outside of country. If someone were to plug one in to a plexi on full whack and pour out some blues I probably wouldn't mind it. 

Lap steel plays both lap and bass parts!

4 awful sounds for me 

bagpipes, recorder,  a kazoo and sadly my own vocal tones 

I generally have to overcome my voice issues as I don't like putting on others to do the dirty deed in the composition challenge , but if given the opportunity I would have someone else sing instead of me. 

:$

Ed 

having said that, as my lad did the vocal for my last one , I did ask him how my studio 'etiquette' was while directing and working with him , and he was happy with the process and enjoyed it. As he has done a bit of work in real studios , I took a bit of confidence from that :D

Edited by lurksalot

It's probably an unpopular choice, but the sound of rock guitars playing a melody (as opposed to rhythm or soloing) always sounds a bit suspect to me, especially if there are more than one of them at the same time. It always sounds a bit thin and weak for some reason, although I'm sure that as soon as I post this I'll immediately think of counter examples....

17 hours ago, DJpullchord said:

Santana’s guitar sound.

I've never been much a fan of his music though I enjoyed the 'Love Devotion Surrender' record he did with John McLaughlin. I thought it might have been a door into more complex music for him but he didn't really have the harmonic chops to really fly there. 

On 04/01/2018 at 22:08, TheGreek said:

Love Sax's and Bassoons (why don't we hear more of these?) - hate distorted/overdriven guitars.

According to my sister (she tried to learn a few years ago), bassoons are bl00dy expensive and quite demanding to learn.

Also the whole wind-instrument transposing thing seems silly to me.  How hard can it be to write stuff down sensibly?!