Why become a member? ×

Fave and unfave music noises

Barking Spiders

Over crimble I got myself a £500 dobro, summat I've been hankering after for a fair while. While it's not a top of the range model it still has the classic sound you here on better bluegrass and country albums. For me there are few better sounds in all music than someone of Jerry Douglas's class letting rip. At the other end of the speed scale I find the sound of haunting acoustic slide playing a la Ry Cooder equally hard to beat which leads me to the sound of sustained notes on a fretless bass, as played by Pino P on No Parlez. 

But then there are certain instrumental sounds that have me diving through the nearest window in a desperate attempt at escape, number one possibly being  neverending Hammond organ soloing  to whit on Argent's Hold Your Head Up.  Other irks...the overuse of pinch harmonics in metal lead solos, 80s drum sounds (syn drums and gated), the weedy 'snare' sounds you often hear on r n b songs,  ukelele bands (apologies to anyone here who plays in one). Over to you...

Edited by charic
Whitespace

12 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

My favourite musical noise is a real Hammond through a Leslie at full throttle.

Least favourite? Banjo I suspect, although that's linked to how stupid they look.

Banjo yes me too, except here at 41:28, absolutely sublime, it just comes from nowhere and is perfect: 

16 minutes ago, Steve Browning said:

My favourite musical noise is a real Hammond through a Leslie at full throttle.

Indeed, along with Jimmy Smith's Bass pedal playing (his pedal playing smokes a lot of Bass players for note choice).

Also Chester Thompson (Tower Of Power), his groove playing on Hammond is terrific. (not to mention, another Bass pedal monster).

Not really any Instruments I don't like. They all seem to have their place at some point

Plenty of players playing them that I don't like....:biggrin:

Tremolo dive-bombing and the over-use of metronomic double bass drum are two things that are unfave for me. The drumming seems to be a prerequisite in many metal genres. I did hope it would die out like the gated 80s snare sound, but it doesn't seem to be about to happen. The funk/fusion guys manage to use it in fills with taste though. That's fine with me!

Along with banjo, uke mandolin and other more esoteric plinky string instruments. Not sounds I generally enjoy.

2 hours ago, MoonBassAlpha said:

Tremolo dive-bombing and the over-use of metronomic double bass drum are two things that are unfave for me. The drumming seems to be a prerequisite in many metal genres. I did hope it would die out like the gated 80s snare sound, but it doesn't seem to be about to happen. The funk/fusion guys manage to use it in fills with taste though. That's fine with me!

Along with banjo, uke mandolin and other more esoteric plinky string instruments. Not sounds I generally enjoy.

+1 here . Lamb of God's Chris Adler is an exception as his double bass drum work isn't merely high speed  Duracell bunny  stuff but he throws in all sorts of off beats

Banjo -I'm ok with the occasional bit of Scruggs type of bluegrass playing but all that strumming jug band stuff, no way

Oh and I forgot to mention the noises made by community samba bands in the UK. In Brazil samba works great when there are several hundred drummers all in tight unison. A dozen, 20 or so Brits clomping along to fairly basic rhythms on a dank July day at your local carnival doesn't have the same magic.

Edited by Barking Spiders

I should hate Hammond organs, there is nothing appealing at first listen BUT whenever I hear their cheesy sound it takes me back to holidays as a kid where some vaguely capable (or not) person would blast out the hits of the day, or a close approximation of them, and for that reason I have a soft spot for them.

I love - proper Hammond organ ( Stevie Winwood, Booker T etc )

-  Great brass sections, especially with baritone sax

I hate - that crap piano sound on 80’s and 90’s dance music  ( think ‘ I - beef - a’ )

- that horrible drum machine sound on most of the above which accelerates into impossible 

speeds every now and then - the kind of noise you used to hear from a passing Vauxhall Corsa

- Guitars with stupid amounts of fizzy distortion / no definition, hiding any real tone.

Oh dear, starting to sound a right old tw*t here, better stop now.....

Edited by casapete