Why become a member? ×

Ibanez PCBE12MH-OPN acoustic bass

Powertripper

Hey guys,

Happy new year! A couple of months back I got myself one of these (excuse poor photo quality, have misplaced my proper camera), the Ibanez PCBE12MH-OPN, brand new, for about £200 all in. I've already got an old Takamine G series semi-acoustic bass which I have used on tour, though found it to be difficult to play at the best of times, and have had other technical issues with it. Moreover, just the size of the thing is huge and made it difficult to play, so when I got the call to do a filmed acoustic gig, I thought I'd get something more playable for the occasion. 

This thing is just great. I find the acoustic bass market to be a difficult one, everything is either too cheap and of poor quality, or ridiculously expensive and still frankly difficult to play. On top of that, I was looking for a short scale, as, even though I'm a big guy, the long necks of I find absolutely laborious. I tried this one out in a show and was instantly impressed with how it plays, the ease of fretboard access, and the rich tone from it (strings supplied are Ibanez 80/20 bronze wound, 0.40-0.95). It being that much smaller makes all the difference, and unlike the Takamine (which still sounds great), I leave it out constantly to noodle about on when I can't be bothered to get my electrics plugged in. Intonation on the E string a bit off (which coincides with another thread I'm about to write concerning my Takamine - where best to get an acoustic bass set up, guitar shop or luthier?), but for £200, I just cannot believe how good this thing is. It's so useful for casual jams and get togethers, and I've yet to have any qualms about the electronics (touch mahogany-coated wood). All the reviews online seemed to be good as well, I'd highly recommend getting this one for your bedroom.

Does anyone else have one and what do they think? Or is there anything better for short scale ('32) that I didn't see?

Cheers,
H

Ibanez acoustic.jpg

• 2 weeks later...