Why become a member? ×

Things you'll never have GAS for again

Delberthot

13 hours ago, LoneFurrow said:

I've had a similar experience with several Sadowskys I've tried. Faultless build, but I just can't find anything that really connects with me. 

I have to add Ibanez basses. I know there's a lot of love for them on BC, but I can't get on with any I've tried (4, 5 and 6 string variants from pretty much all price brackets). The neck profile is just wrong for me. 

I've had Ibanez Musician had one point and it was good but no character.

In my head i generally regard Ibanez as the Ford of bass playing. Reasonable to good build and they do what they say they will, lots of them about but they just don't have that individual character. One Ibanez model will feel the same as the next in any given range they make unlike Fender. That's probably down to better quality control xD  

1. Status basses. Over the years I've owned three S2s (one made for me), a Series 5000, an Empathy and an Eclipse, and sold them all. There's something about them that really appeals to me, but time and again I realised (after purchasing them, of course) that I don't really like that signature high-mid bark. Apart from the 5000, which sounded lovely, but had a string spacing you could barely get a fag paper between. I now get my graphite-based jollies with an SKC Bogart. But if anyone knows of a Kingbass MkII 5-string up for sale, I could probably still be persuaded!

2. Big cabs. I joined the "two 210s stacked on their ends" club a couple of years ago, and haven't looked back. They sound great, move plenty of air, and fit in the boot of my car. Result. Now all I need to do is wean myself off the expensive hobby of trying every D-Class head in the world with them...

Edited by lowregisterhead

30 minutes ago, edstraker123 said:

Ashdown products

I will second that...

and add Fender as well, their amps are ok but to many companies make their basses better than they do.

Also pedals, I did a two hour set just before Xmas, with no pedals for the first time in months, and nobody noticed except me, since then the whole lot has been sold off, so I can buy something much more usefull.

12 hours ago, edstraker123 said:

Ashdown products

12 hours ago, JBP said:

I will second that...

and add Fender as well, their amps are ok but to many companies make their basses better than they do.

Also pedals, I did a two hour set just before Xmas, with no pedals for the first time in months, and nobody noticed except me, since then the whole lot has been sold off, so I can buy something much more usefull.

I’ll third it. Had a MAG300 and 4x10 for a year and ended up hating it. Could never get a sound I was happy with.

Owned an ABM300 C210T EVO II with an ABM115 compact extension cab, and that was a great set. Never had any troubles with it, and always sounded great. I had to cut the lows a lot though, it would crank out tons of sub. I always set the bass knob to 9 o' clock (even lower if the room required it) and that sounded lovely. Deep, punchy and with some nice preamp tube growl. 

Sold it for something completely different, an EBS HD350 with a ProLine 410. Never looked back since.

1 hour ago, LeftyJ said:

Owned an ABM300 C210T EVO II with an ABM115 compact extension cab, and that was a great set. Never had any troubles with it, and always sounded great. I had to cut the lows a lot though, it would crank out tons of sub. I always set the bass knob to 9 o' clock (even lower if the room required it) and that sounded lovely. Deep, punchy and with some nice preamp tube growl. 

Sold it for something completely different, an EBS HD350 with a ProLine 410. Never looked back since.

The HD350 is such a good amp though, I reckon it's got to be one of the best fully solid state amps made

18 hours ago, edstraker123 said:

Ashdown products

I've gone through a load of Ashdown gear in my time...a MAG combo, ABM heads, various cabinetry (10s, 15s and combinations thereof).  The main reason was simply that they were pitched at a price point that was step up from where I was previously, so an upgrade of sorts.  They were reliable, heavy as feck, but the heads were so so bland tonally.  No grit, little character.  Sure, they did loud very well, but they ran so clean that in all cases my signal chain ended up having a dirtbox of some sort plugged into the effects return to get what I wanted/needed.  Eventually I sold the lot and went with a dual pre/power stage set up.

While I'd never buy an Ashdown again, from a reliability perspective you can't fault them; my old MAG cabinets were sold onto a local rehearsal studio and more than five years on, they are still going strong and they get a huge amount of use.

Heavy cabs and amps - After carrying a Harke Kilo and 8x10 up 3 flights of stairs twice on one tour, that was me done. They went when the tour was completed and I have never missed them :) 

Musicman Bongo basses - I absolutely love them. I've had 3 (2 x 5 string and 1 x 6 string). I just have never found one where the neck settled for more than 2 months at a time. I was always adjusting the truss rod.

6 string basses - I used to play 6 string bass exclusively (I've had about 12 of them FFS) but I did feel like a numpty every time I went on stage with one especially as people expected me to zoom about the neck like a loon. That's my issue though and nothing against 6 string basses or, the folk who play them.

Edited by mattbass6

Ditto re heavy cabs and amp heads - the older I get, this is becoming more relevant

I would also not buy another model of the bass I started with - a truly dreadful Kay 1970's Rick copy
This was so dreadful, I'm surprised it didn't put me off playing bass.... forever

Probably wouldn't buy another Warwick Corvette either

Yamaha basses. I had one a few years ago and it was the most uninspiring and underwhelming instrument I've ever bought. I'd never buy another. It sounded awfully bland and ok the build was good, but it was no more, or less, than what I'd expect for its price. Never again.