Why become a member? ×

Things you'll never have GAS for again

Delberthot

I will never lust after a Gibson Les Paul ever again. Back in the day I could not afford one, so I bought an SG, and loved it. Our guitarist has two Les Paul's and he let me try them both. The gold top is the better instrument, for me at least, but they are both so heavy, the neck profiles feel like tree trunks to me and the access to the top frets is poor. GAS officially turned off.

I spent 20 years refusing to play anything with a pickguard and anything but active basses 

All my basses are now passive and have pickguards.

I spent 15 years saying I'd never buy another Ashdown - I'm now absolutely loving my ABM head.

I don't think there's anything I'd completely rule out for a potential GAS attack at some point in future - I'm far more limited by finances than I am by sensible judgement :D.

3 hours ago, mikel said:

I will never lust after a Gibson Les Paul ever again. Back in the day I could not afford one, so I bought an SG, and loved it. Our guitarist has two Les Paul's and he let me try them both. The gold top is the better instrument, for me at least, but they are both so heavy, the neck profiles feel like tree trunks to me and the access to the top frets is poor. GAS officially turned off.

I had a similar experience.

As a youngster I used to lust after Les Pauls, SGs and 335s.

In my 20s I had a girlfriend who's dad had an extensive collection of Gibsons.

The only one I actually got on with playing wise was the Firebird, all the others just felt 'wrong' to me, either the necks felt too flimsy (335 and es175) or the balance felt wrong (SG) , or in the case of the Les Pauls they were just all round uncomfortable.

My loss I reckon.

I'd have a Firebird in a second though.

Edited by Cato

Apart from heavy cabs, I can't think of anything I would say never to.

I wouldn't want to buy another 4 string, but I have a couple. I couldn't imagine buying a P bass but I have one. 

Oh yes, one of those stinky poo basses that were the really bad ones in the 80s that people now try and sell for stupid money because they are 'old classics', the kays and other firewood brands

At the moment, I'm not ruling anything out! :D

However... after many years of playing only active's of numerous brands, I realised that I was unhappy with the sound of all but 2 of them. Switched back to passive's, and have no intention to return. I did own a G&L L2000 Tribute relatively recently, lovely bass to play, but couldn't get it to sound "right" for me.

Never had a hankering for a bass with more than 4 strings either.

Edited by Skybone

1. Warwick basses. Even though the Streamer looks gorgeous, and I like the sound of them, I just cant get comfortable playing one. I'm just too comfortable playing a Fender Jazz or Precision.

2. Heavy cabs. Just don't see the need for them unless you are playing large shows with roadies to do the lugging.

3. Pedals. Never been a big user of pedals, maybe chorus but I end up hating them and it's all too much flaffing with extra cables etc.

I think...

-A Rickenbacker bass (maybe except for the 4005)
-A Stingray. I don't like the sound, doesn't fit in any band I've ever tried one in. I still like 'em solo but every time I play one I just know it's not for me.
-Any Gibson bass. Just not for me.
-Heavy cabinets. I have neo cabs now and I love them.
-An Ampeg rig. I've used one for recording a few years ago and that was pretty good but other than that I've never had a good experience with an Ampeg. Ok except for that other time with the vintage Fliptop and the all original '55 Precision maybe.

As with nearly everybody else, my main one is heavy amplification. Barefaced literally changed my 

life, so much that even small conventional cabs now seem too heavy. 

No GAS either for -

Any effects pedals whatsoever

Anything with more than 4 strings ( too heavy and can’t get my head around them)

MM Stingrays - probably my favourite ever bass, but unless anybody has one for sale that is > 7.5 lbs

then it will have to be a distant memory.

Rackmount tuners

Coated strings - tried some and wasn’t blown away, especially for the price. Will stick with my 

usual  D’Addarios.

Tube heads - Lovely sound but (as I had been warned) I very quickly tired of lugging it around.

Warwick Thumb - Lusted after one as a teen.  Finally had the opportunity to buy one a few years ago but was bitterly disappointed when I tried it.  It just felt awful to me.

EDIT - Forgot jazzes.  Love the look and the sound, but just cannot get on with them 

Edited by Deedee

Sadowsky.

I used to have chronic GAS for these basses. Then I played one and it just didn’t connect with me. I played two more over a couple of years and they all left me cold. The sound, the feel, nothing about them spoke to me in any way.

Also, I couldn’t fault its build, the look, anything. Top notch in every way, as you might expect but disappointing.

Difficult to explain why in the same way it’s difficult to explain why I connect so well with my Yamaha BB or my Valenti and think they’re amongst the best instruments I’ve ever played.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Sean said:

Sadowsky.

I used to have chronic GAS for these basses. Then I played one and it just didn’t connect with me. I played two more over a couple of years and they all left me cold. The sound, the feel, nothing about them spoke to me in any way.

Also, I couldn’t fault its build, the look, anything. Top notch in every way, as you might expect but disappointing.

Difficult to explain why in the same way it’s difficult to explain why I connect so well with my Yamaha BB or my Valenti and think they’re amongst the best instruments I’ve ever played.

I had that with Lakland basses. Tried one and altho it did feel ok and nothing obviously wrong with it i just couldn't take to it. Tried another one since then and it was same.

Also had the same with a Spector (can't remember the model but it was over £1k in a shop) and to be honest the neck felt like a plank and not what i was expecting from Spector at that price. I've tried £300 basses where the neck felt better to play.

Not tried a Sadowsky.

Five strings: I've tried, oh lordy have I tried to get on with them. But I don't

Fretless bass guitars: (See above)

Boutique or coffee table basses: Sometimes, the wood looks beautiful, but it just looks weird as a bass body.

Complicated knob/toggle switch arrangements: I'm easily confused and all those micro-decisions would make me cry.

Amps and Combos: I love my Genz Benz Contour rig so much, I can't imagine using anything else now. (I realise that this statement will probably bite me in the bum before the year is up...)

Multiple effects pedals: Even my Zoom B3 seems like overkill in my current band. I loved having 9 or 10 pedals on a board, but it just became impractical, especially when you're playing in pubs with barely enough room to stand on both feet...

So, to recap, by this time next year, I'll be playing a five string, fretless Fodera through a vintage Trace Elliot stack via a pedal board so large it has to have its own generator.  

Edited by rushbo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

26 minutes ago, rushbo said:

Five strings: I've tried, oh lordy have I tried to get on with them. But I don't

Fretless bass guitars: (See above)

Boutique or coffee table basses: Sometimes, the wood looks beautiful, but it just looks weird as a bass body.

Complicated knob/toggle switch arrangements: I'm easily confused and all those micro-decisions would make me cry.

Amps and Combos: I love my Genz Benz Contour rig so much, I can't imagine using anything else now. (I realise that this statement will probably bite me in the bum before the year is up...)

Multiple effects pedals: Even my Zoom B3 seems like overkill in my current band. I loved having 9 or 10 pedals on a board, but it just became impractical, especially when you're playing in pubs with barely enough room to stand on both feet...

So, to recap, by this time next year, I'll be playing a five string, fretless Fodera through a vintage Trace Elliot stack via a pedal board so large it has to have its own generator.  

😂😂😂😂

4 hours ago, Sean said:

Sadowsky.

I've had a similar experience with several Sadowskys I've tried. Faultless build, but I just can't find anything that really connects with me. 

I have to add Ibanez basses. I know there's a lot of love for them on BC, but I can't get on with any I've tried (4, 5 and 6 string variants from pretty much all price brackets). The neck profile is just wrong for me. 

A Jazz bass. For years I lusted after a 70's sunburst/rosewood/block marker job and finally got one - couldn't get on with it. Something about the offset waist and the thin neck by the nut. My hands never fell in the right place. I sold it on - at a good profit through vintage and rare - but a few years later I bought a Japanese white fretless Jazz . Same thing. It just didn't sit well standing or sitting and felt too flimsy at the nut end so one sunny Sunday a nice lady came down to my boat and bought it from me. Just one of those things for me. I felt like my Precisions are hammers and I wanted the rest of the tool kit - just didn't work out.