Why become a member? ×

Things you'll never have GAS for again

Delberthot

Instead of things you want how about things you are confident that you will never ever buy again?

For me there are three:

• Fretless basses - ideal for certain situations but don't suit my punchy aggressive style of playing. I still love the way they look though. I still have a £50 Lindo fretless precision bass in my livingroom as a reminder - any time I even contemplate one I pick it up and it all comes back to me.
  • Heavy Cabs - I had a flashback this morning back to a gig lifting 2 37kg Ashdown ABM410s up several flights of stairs and telling myself then that was the last time (and it was). Heaviest were 2 46kg Trace v-type cabs or the Ashdown MAG810 that I had that weighed 57kgs.
  • Effects - don't have any use or need for them and just spend my time messing with them during gigs then sell them on the next day
Edited by Delberthot

Ditto heavy cabs. I've been using lightweight since the moment I could, and will never go back. In fact, I've just ordered a Markbass 102P 2x10.

My own would be - Nickel/stainless steel strings. Having played flats for a couple of years now, the feel and tone of them just don't appeal.

Standard scale basses - Having jumped from long-term Rickenbacker owner to (briefly) Fender, playing a SS in between made me make the jump. I'm not a big bloke (careful, now), so the lesser weight and smaller fretboard is just so much more comfortable.

Makes me wonder why on earth SS never became the standard.

Any 5 string bass. I owned a 5 string Warwick Streamer Standard (I think that's what they were called, Warwick's budget line that came out in 2000). I was a teenager at the time and not sure what I was thinking, not to denigrate 5 string players but there was just no need for me to be playing a really slack B string in the bands I was playing in at the time. The B string didn't work for me with the passive electronics on that bass, I never really got on with the Streamer Std except for the Warwick adjustable nut - great design! It was very neck heavy and I sold it soon after. I've never played another bass with more than 4 strings since.

Edited by EdLib-3
typo

electro acoustic basses i had two at one time thought they would be good for noodling at home but they just seemed to get in the way

5 string basses have had a couple but nowadays i will just downtune a bass if i need it

heavy cabs sound great but when i see an old trace cab on ebay i remember the weight of my old one and move along

im with you on effects too i went through a time using them but i dont bother much nowadays

I always laugh when I think that I've had everything from A to Z apart from Alembic and Zon  xD

Primarily a 4 string player I've just bought a 5 which is my first in a couple of years. I still have a craving for a Hamer B12A despite having no real use for one

2 hours ago, EdLib-3 said:

Any 5 string bass. I owned a 5 string Warwick Streamer Standard (I think that's what they were called, Warwick's budget line that came out in 2000). I was a teenager at the time and not sure what I was thinking, not to denigrate 5 string players but there was just no need for me to be playing a really slack B string in the bands I was playing in at the time. The B string didn't work for me with the passive electronics on that bass, I never really got on with the Streamer Std except for the Warwick adjustable nut - great design! It was very neck heavy and I sold it soon after. I've never played another bass with more than 4 strings since.

It sounds like thhe crappy bass was the issue, rather than the B string - but if you don't need it, you don't need it 😀

• Like 1

I agree with Cato's thinking.."never say never" but for now I'd say:

• A Wal - well the mk1 anyway - can't get on with the neck profile.
  • A 5 string - too many failed attempts into getting into them.
  • A saxophone - love the sound of them but they're too physically demanding to play.
  • A skateboard - I'm not 15 anymore, I'm likely to kill myself on one.

1 hour ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

Just for balance, I wouldn't buy a 4 string again unless it was an upright, I'd never use it.

Same. To go one step further, I'd actually quite like a 5 string Warwick, probably a Streamer too!  

2 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

And yes, I have recently bought a kazoo.

😎

Bass kazoo, that must be huge. 

I will never buy a 6 string bass again. It was the nicest bass guitar I have ever played, but it made my head hurt.