Why become a member? ×

Vintage Instruments: Quality or Psychosomatics?

Frank Blank

4 minutes ago, GuyR said:

Once you are confident of what the instrument is, in terms of originality and, therefore, ability to recoup the thick end of your financial outlay, it only remains; does the instrument inspire you to buy it?

This is true. I think I would seek advice on here if I were to make such a purchase.

29 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

My 64 and AVRI sound different.

I have 8 jazz basses - 4 1965 or before, 3 1980s one 2015 relic. In a blind test with someone else playing, I'm not confident I'd get it 100% right. 

25 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Are you suggesting that if you did a blind A/B sound test of any '64RI to any genuine '64, you'd be able to tell which is which..?

Not at all. I suggested that we each hear things differently and some perceived differences can be apparent to some people but not others.

However, I reckon that I could probably (and I stress probably) tell my 64 from my AVRI in a blind test. 

2 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

This is true. I think I would seek advice on here if I were to make such a purchase.

It is worth paying a reputable expert for an in-person report. Photos are not enough, in my opinion. Mistakes are v expensive!!

Just now, Bridgehouse said:

Not at all. I suggested that we each hear things differently and some perceived differences can be apparent to some people but not others.

However, I reckon that I could probably (and I stress probably) tell my 64 from my AVRI in a blind test. 

I imagine you can, but that's more down to natural variance, than typical tonal characteristics of each (bear in mind this is in the context of of your reply to the point I was trying to make earlier :-))

Who needs wood anyway, I rate my graphite/composite Bogarts over most wooden basses any day of the week... personal taste and all.

But seriously, beyond aging, settling of the fibers etc, a good bass is a good bass. I have played a pre CBS Jazz which sounded and played like a turd, I also played one that made me want to sell a kidney. Same with 2 pre EB Stingrays.

So to me, quality of materials and luthier skills is what makes the bass, not the age.

Just as I would never fork out 10k on a Smith, Thompson, Fodera I would not pay 5k for a vintage instrument. But that’s just me.

And also, so much depends on your touch... tone is in the fingers not the wood nor the EQ.

35 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

All basses sound different when played on their own.

And they all sound like bass guitars in the band mix.

Absolutely. Just wondering how many on here can honestly say that out in the audience they could tell the difference between a P and a J for eg.

Ive been to a few concerts this year and the myriad of diff basses might have well been wash tubs for the difference each instrument made.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wateroftyne said:

I imagine you can, but that's more down to natural variance, than typical tonal characteristics of each (bear in mind this is in the context of of your reply to the point I was trying to make earlier :-))

Yep. Agreed.

Don't forget - even though I'm a vintage owner I'm in the "price is not proportionate to playability" camp.

My view is simple. In a non-price based test, some will prefer a vintage, some a modern instrument. The same person might even rank a set of instruments by preference (let's say all P basses) as a vintage, then a modern, then another modern, then another vintage.

You choose an instrument based on the sound and playability that you like. 

I have never said that as a general rule vintages sound different to modern and are better. 

I played 8 pre CBS jazzes and hated every single one. I tried two Pre-CBS P basses and hated them as well. I then tried the 64 I own and loved it. 

I have had similar experiences with modern too..

Just now, wateroftyne said:

And looks :-)

True. Which was what attracted me to a vintage bass in the first place, having owned a few vintage guitars..

My only controversial thought on vintage basses is thus: Whether it's the material, the ageing or whatever, once you find one that you really like, I think they do feel different to a more modern instrument. 

Just now, Bridgehouse said:

True. Which was what attracted me to a vintage bass in the first place, having owned a few vintage guitars..

My only controversial thought on vintage basses is thus: Whether it's the material, the ageing or whatever, once you find one that you really like, I think they do feel different to a more modern instrument. 

Nothing controversial,  in a blind test you almost couldn't miss the vintage bass. 

5 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

I think that feel that you mention is a very natural symbiosis that occurs once you find an instrument you truly like. Do you think part of that symbiosis may be because the instrument is vintage rather than the instrument itself having any inherent superior properties over something modern?

1 minute ago, Frank Blank said:

I think that feel that you mention is a very natural symbiosis that occurs once you find an instrument you truly like. Do you think part of that symbiosis may be because the instrument is vintage rather than the instrument itself having any inherent superior properties over something modern?

I will give you two answers to that. Yes, and no.

Yes - with a very real example. The fingerboard edges on my 64 are rolled due to years and years of play. Even when done with a tool it's not the same. It feels played in - and played in over many years.

And no - I'm sure some of the feel is because I've bonded with it so much.

14 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

And looks :-)

Very much so.

I wouldn't even think about picking up any instrument to try if I didn't like the way it looks. Looks come first, playability second and I'll worry about the sound if it looks good and feels comfortable to play.

2 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

You live, you learn. Do such people lurk on Basschat?

No, but I'll give you one for free ;)

A good friend of mine - Feline Guitars based in Croydon. Jon really knows his stuff and he is an absolute expert and a gent. He makes the most beautiful guitars and basses, and he services a lot of guitars played by some of the worlds best - he's seen his fair share of proper authentic vintages owned by guitar heroes and expert musicians alike and he would be a good starting point..

2 minutes ago, Bridgehouse said:

I will give you two answers to that. Yes, and no.

Yes - with a very real example. The fingerboard edges on my 64 are rolled due to years and years of play. Even when done with a tool it's not the same. It feels played in - and played in over many years.

And no - I'm sure some of the feel is because I've bonded with it so much.

That makes perfect sense. Are we also discussing things on Fretboard..?

1 minute ago, Bridgehouse said:

No, but I'll give you one for free ;)

A good friend of mine - Feline Guitars based in Croydon. Jon really knows his stuff and he is an absolute expert and a gent. He makes the most beautiful guitars and basses, and he services a lot of guitars played by some of the worlds best - he's seen his fair share of proper authentic vintages owned by guitar heroes and expert musicians alike and he would be a good starting point..

Brilliant, thank you, just in case I ever drag myself away from modern, somewhere near 1k basses that I now usually go for.

32 minutes ago, Grangur said:

OR is it? I play Warwicks. (You know the ones.. "The Sound of wood etc") Among the basses I have is a rather battered 2004 Corvette. It has dings and some writing in Chinese on the back, done by a child, so the story goes. The neck is smooth and it all feels great. Its a bass that makes me feel like, "if only it could speak, it could tell some stories". To me that Corvette plays and sounds great. It makes me feel I'm not the "owner", but the custodian of it, while it's on its life path of which I'm only a part, a stepping stone to the next custodian.

I play a Warwick too. It's a MiK pro Series StarBass, so maybe not quite on a par with a more "traditional" MiG Warwick, but...

It's the only Warwick I've played that I didn't think was completely horrible (and that includes a couple of very expensive MiG StarBasses) and with a slight adjustment in playing technique and a quick EQ tweak it sounds just like my Gus in the context of a live or recorded band mix.