Why become a member? ×

Pickups for PJ?

project_c

I'm putting together a PJ, and I'm trying to work out what pickups to go for.

Details: It's a USA Fender P body, which will be routed for a J in 70s position. I have 2 neck options, either a 78 fretless maple neck (already on the bass, and great) or a no name Geddy style maple J neck (arriving soon). Either way, I'm going for a ballsy 70s fingerstyle tone, rolled off punchy bridge pickup style, no slap, nothing modern.

The bass has a set of custom shop 62 p pickups which are nice, but nothing special. My choices are:

- keep CS62 pickups, add Dimarzio single coil (good tone, but may be noisy, and I'd have to buy a set of 2 because they don't come as singles)

- keep cs62 pickups, add Dimarzio Ultrajazz (tone might be too modern and scooped? Don't know).

- Forget the above and put in a set of Quarter Pounder PJ's. I have Quarter Pounders in 2 other basses and I love them but I have no idea what the J pickup is like.

- something else I haven't thought of yet.

Anyone have any suggestions? ta

I always recommend the Seymour Duncan Hot Stack - it`s hum cancelling, and sounds just like a Jazz bridge pickup but bigger, like an extra 10 or 20%. I chose one due to Duff McKagan using them and imo it was a wise choice.

Additionally, Project _C, if you decide to move on the Custom Shop 62 Precision pickups I`ll be happy to take them off your hands.

Thanks, lots of good suggestions here. I'm tempted by the hum cancelling options but I'm a bit worried about losing some of the single coil bark, I have N3 noiseless pickups in my Jazz Dlx and they're great with the active preamp, but in passive mode they're definitely more polite than a single coil. The differences are small though, ultimately I don't think I can go too wrong with any of these options.