Why become a member? ×

New Original Rock Bands??

Pinball

2 hours ago, PaulWarning said:

I see record sales enjoyed there biggest growth for 10 years, just goes to show I know bugger all

You are probably right, they have growth but from a very low bar. In 1994, 38 albums got sales of over 1million, in 2014, one did (the frozen soundtrack).

On 01/01/2018 at 13:59, ezbass said:

There are plenty of new rock bands out there (well newish), some that spring to mind are: Von Hertzen Brothers; Volbeat; Tax The Heat; Broken Witt Rebels; The Fallen State. Check out Wyatt’s New Rock Show, Saturday nights on a Planet Rock.

But  saleswise, unfortunately none of them will be bothering the likes of Ed Sheeran, Adele and Sam Smith etc any time soon looking at BPI sales stats for 2017. In the top 40 sellers the highest positions by rock bands were  Foo Fighters at 32 and Royal Blood at 39. Seems there's not much love in the UK mainstream for rock  which makes it a tad tough for any new band trying to break through

18 hours ago, Phil Starr said:

New original rock bands?

Rock is the music of my generation, the music of 40 years ago. It's a bit like asking why no-one writes original Dixieland Jazz,  original Blues music or even original Britpop. Styles just come and go.

Don't get me wrong I love all these and more but whilst there will always be people who love this style or that and will write tributes in the style they love most creative people will push the boundaries on from the music they grew up with. We're several generations on from true Rock so why would you expect people to doggedly stay in one place.

There are plenty of successful bands and musicians around, music goes on and keeps changing, good luck to the kids there's no reason for them to humour our tastes. At least so far fashion still demands drummers and bassists :)

Well done Phil, you finally mentioned the elephant in the room. For me it's all been done before and very well, or at least the perception is that which is possibly why some tribute bands can charge £45 per ticket and sell out medium sized venues.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, spectoremg said:

Well done Phil, you finally mentioned the elephant in the room. For me it's all been done before and very well, or at least the perception is that which is possibly why some tribute bands can charge £45 per ticket and sell out medium sized venues.

+1. there's nowhere for new, young guitar bands to go anymore and it's been that way for many years. Plus, the mainstream doesn't have much appetite for artists with radical approaches, who mash up disparate genres to come up up with unique sounds, have unconventional lineups etc blah. Otherwise the likes of Autechre, Sunn O))) or The Young Gods would be shifting shedloads.

another factor is how accessible the world is now. It’s become expected of bands to have built this brand of their band before a label will even touch them, the bands that seem to make it are the ones that can do everything, music, marketing, promotion, recording etc. Of course this is a blanket statement and I’m sure there is still some incredible talents that just get picked up on the spot,  however I feel the days of bands being heard, signed then built into a household name finished in the early 2000s when the internet started arriving. 

I feel the major role of the label now is purely mass distribution where as a lot of the actual marketing and fan base is wel and truly cemented before the band even gets a look in. Labels can now be lazy and wait for the artists to come to them rather than talent scouting. 

just my two pence

• Like 1

There're no shortage of bands at the Download festival as far as I know, or loads of other festivals, and a lot of them seem to be in ever more niche genres like Math Rock, Deathcore, Nu metal etc etc. Maybe it's the niche aspect that makes it difficult at the local level, where tributes and covers seem to be predominant.

I'd love to dust off my old black leather biker jacket, have a cigarette holder stuck on the end of my bass and turn it up to 11 just like in the old days...

On 02/01/2018 at 08:50, Leonard Smalls said:

Seems a bit odd to me that punters are very willing to pay £100 or so to see Metallica along with 5-10000 others, or even to pay £6 to see ABCD tribute band, but won't come and see an originals band playing for free.

Fair enough, you know Metallica will be slick as will the covers band (hopefully!). But that doesn't mean the free originals band won't be as well!

Perhaps there's less appetite for new live music, maybe they don't want to just take a punt? Or perhaps it was always so...

I don’t think you would get to see a very good tribute rock band for £6, most of the big ones are at least £15 to £20 a gig.

34 minutes ago, steantval said:

I don’t think you would get to see a very good tribute rock band for £6, most of the big ones are at least £15 to £20 a gig.

Possibly not - or at least one of the top-notch ones. But there were a few advertised at the Doll's House in Abertillary when we played there recently; in price was £5-10.

The reason I can't see the appeal of paying that, or owt for that matter, to see a tribute is that they'd have to pay me to come see 'em!

On 1/2/2018 at 11:07, Phil Starr said:

New original rock bands?

Rock is the music of my generation, the music of 40 years ago. It's a bit like asking why no-one writes original Dixieland Jazz,  original Blues music or even original Britpop. Styles just come and go.

:)

Excellent point.

Music has and will always be cyclical.

Look what happened to "rock bands" in the 70s when your punk rock became the new thing. 

Rock bands didn't know what to do. Only a few like The Stones were able to reinvent themselves.

Blue

3 minutes ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Possibly not - or at least one of the top-notch ones. But there were a few advertised at the Doll's House in Abertillary when we played there recently; in price was £5-10.

The reason I can't see the appeal of paying that, or owt for that matter, to see a tribute is that they'd have to pay me to come see 'em!

I'm not big on tribute bands except for 1 or 2 if the full blown Beatles tributes like The Fab Four in Las Vegas.

Blue

I have to disagree with the point "people don't flock to see bands anymore" I am like a pig in poo at the moment, most of my favourite bands tour regularly and extensively in fact at the moment Mrs2611 and I are trying to work out just how many gigs we can get to this year, we have already booked for a couple of Stiff Little Fingers gigs, Billy Idol, Toyah, Gary Numan, UK Subs, Balaam and the Angel, The Skids plus more if The Chameleons or The Mission play, we will travel the country to see these bands....to me more people than ever are coming out to gigs, we saw a new (to us) band last year support The Skids, Dirt Box Disco who are absolutely brilliant, we will see them again this year, I brought 3 of their CD's at the gig so even for new original bands the outlet is there if you are good / lucky enough, as you always need a little bit of luck

One thing I did find with my last band, was that no one wanted to buy demo's, but they bought band merchandise. In fact, we made more from selling merchandise than anything else. Gigs didn't pay well (if at all), even low priced demo CD's didn't sell well (though we did shift quite a few at gigs). 

It is definitely worthwhile getting a batch of 100 t-shirts printed up to take to gigs, as well as a bunch of demo CD's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger2611 said:

we have already booked for a couple of Stiff Little Fingers gigs, Billy Idol, Toyah, Gary Numan, UK Subs, Balaam and the Angel, The Skids plus more if The Chameleons or The Mission play, we will travel the country to see these bands....

I think if anything that reinforces the point. All of those bands are old bands that made it when new original bands could come up.

When I was young, any night of the week I could walk into a pub and see an original band playing. Some of those made it big, some didn't. Admittedly I have moved from a city to a town, but people don't seem to be going out to see new original bands as much, covers and tributes, no problem.

Bass mate has joined with a rock metal band last year calle Burnt Out Wreck and they have done pretty well last year playing some major festivals and support slts.

Ex- Heavy Pettin drummer doing frontman vocals.

He's also in a band with ex-Rainbow vocalist Doogie White called La Paz and also a local Rock band called Crossfire. La Paz were good in 80's before Doogie went for fame and fortune and few yrs back they did a few gigs as mates and produced few albums that have done pretty well.

Crossfire are a 3 piece rock band that doa lot of the local gigs and few lcal festivals too.

16 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I think if anything that reinforces the point. All of those bands are old bands that made it when new original bands could come up.

When I was young, any night of the week I could walk into a pub and see an original band playing. Some of those made it big, some didn't. Admittedly I have moved from a city to a town, but people don't seem to be going out to see new original bands as much, covers and tributes, no problem.

sure thing, plus the fact that 90% of people at these gigs are over 45... by the look of them anyway. I know as I'm over 45 and I've been to see a few of those bands

Also look at the main acts at big rock festivals like Download. This year, Guns n Roses? 50s, Ozzy 107, Avenged 7fold whippersnappers in their 40s. And last year, 'new' band Prophets of Rage ( at least two in their 50s - Tom M and Chuck D), Aerosmith (combined age 570), and System of  Down which has Serj with a very grey beard.

Edited by Barking Spiders
  • Haha 1

Yep there are younger bands coming through but mainly both audience and bands alike at the gigs I play and go to, the majority are 40s plus. Probably cos live music is what we grew up with, people playing real instruments to people watching & listening. That`s not knocking what`s current, that`s just what we are used to.

I think there are plenty of good originals bands playing "rock".  The problem is that with streaming and youtube algorithms you never hear new stuff unless you are searching speifically for it.  The algorithms will suggest music similar to wht you listen to.  Thats why despite the fact that it ofte features bands and artists that are somewhat leftfield programmes like Later.. are a good watch because Jools is one of the few that will feature young unsigned or startup bands.

Surely though the biggest problem is people just dont buy music these days.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Nicko said:

I think there are plenty of good originals bands playing "rock".  The problem is that with streaming and youtube algorithms you never hear new stuff unless you are searching speifically for it.  The algorithms will suggest music similar to wht you listen to.  Thats why despite the fact that it ofte features bands and artists that are somewhat leftfield programmes like Later.. are a good watch because Jools is one of the few that will feature young unsigned or startup bands.

Surely though the biggest problem is people just dont buy music these days.

apparently not,

https://www.recode.net/2017/9/20/16339484/music-streaming-riaa-spotify-apple-music-youtube-2017-revenue-subscription

sales but not as we know it

Some of my best new band discoveries have been supporting bigger names (such as Virgil and the Accelerators opening for Walter Trout, then the Black Circles opening for Virgil a year later). I never understand why people pay good money for a ticket and then don't bother turning up for the support band.

Oh, John Mayall opening for B B King was another good one, although not exactly "new" :-)

(Ok, not exactly "rock" either, but same goes for the blues.)

Edited by josie