Why become a member? ×

2018 GAS

NancyJohnson

Right here we are then. 2018.  We are bass players, we desire new equipment periodically, so what's on your 2018 GAS list?

Just to get things going, for me I'm still looking to land a series one Hamer Cruise Bass, but other than that, I'm eager to see just how good Tech 21's dUg pedal will be.

[edit] My good lady wants me to get an EUB, believing it might be a good alternative for my deteriorating thumbs.  Wonder what one of these would sound like going through a dUg?  Teehee.

Edited by NancyJohnson

Excluding the ever present Modular Synth GAS, I'm GAS free.

For 2018 I want to:

finish the Guyatone guitar amp restoration

build a few pedals I have ideas for

and get on with making music as opposed to acquiring gear to make music with.

Of course, there's the usual caveat attached to all this... 

I have decided I want to go back to a Mesa Boogie amp set up, given the prices it will be a year long plan which unfortunately has not started well, I brought a Subway D800 just before Christmas which the postal services have now lost, I am struggling to decide whether to go 2x10 and 1x15 or 2 1x15 subway cabs

• Like 1

I`m pretty much GAS free at present. Last year I bought a huge amount of gear in the aim of finding the best gear for my needs within my band. I`ve established that, so now I have a lot of gear to move on. I`d still love a Jazz that I could both play well and make sound nice, but in general that doesn`t happen with me and Jazz basses so that will remain an "if only".

Edit - just remembered, as we`re getting a few more festival gigs, with larger stages, a wirelss kit is on my shopping list. Not so I can Bon-jovi all over the stage mind, just so I don`t have to buy 100 foot long leads.

Edited by Lozz196
Forgot something

Nothing yet, but I did end 2017 by buying another Precision on line, due for delivery later in the week. That will make a total of six P basses, 4 of them bought within  the last 3 months. 

The only things I have GAS for at the moment are strings and scratchplates.

Got my GAS out in the latter part of 2017 with my two lovely barefaced One10’s.

This year I’m building a pedal board to keep the pedals tidy and plugged up without the dog chewing them.

Actually, I’d like a nice no.2 bass to complement my lovely JV P. Been watching the build diaries like a madman, and that’s probably going to land me in gear trouble with the Mrs!

Don't really need anything at moment. 

Did quite fancy the Cort Jeff Berlin bass for sale on here but probably wouldn't suit my curent band style so gonna give that a miss.

I have a notion for a new amp head tho but not sure what. Tube pre-amp i think is the way to go. Someone mentioned Mesa earlier on and having never tried them its now got me curious so that's a possibility.

Dave

Kinda got my GAS surge out of the way in 16/17. Just waiting for the Digitech Sdrum pedal ive ordered... Should be at home waiting for me getting home from a new year break. 

... And the cog rogue one that was ordered a wee while back...  I'm hoping that will arrive before the end of Jan. 

Then I'm all done 😊

Edited by gs_triumph

My GAS going in to 2018 is pretty low as I picked up a few small toys this year, including one of those small guitars with 6 skinny strings. All I really want is a reverb pedal, an actual pedalboard / case to keep things tidy and a decent strap!

My old practise amp is a bit chunky so I am  thinking of flogging it and buying a smaller one. That way I won’t have to store it in a wardrobe between practising and might actually play more. Or is it an excuse to buy gear?

I have this itch which won’t go away for a Taylor GS bass. Yes, I know it’s an acoustic bass and

all the pitfalls associated with them, but having played one it just felt and sounded so right for one

of my regular gigs. Only thing that’s stopping me getting one is a) I don’t have £699 spare right now,

and b) If I could afford one then bet your bottom dollar my residency would disappear, leaving me with

yet another bass in the spare room not earning it’s keep. Decisions decisions....

I'm planning on saving for an MXR Envelope Filter over the mext few months.

Other than that, I'd like to trade my G&L L2500 in for a 35" scale 5 string, but that'll be looking out for the right opportunity as I won't have a lot of money to put into a trade.

All my bass needs are covered for the moment.

My GAS seems to be focused on skinny stringers right now.

I've got a hankering for a really spikey guitar, despite not listening to metal in years and having no desire to play heavy  music.

Who says you can't play funk on a Jackson Kelly?

Edited by Cato