Why become a member? ×

Nile Rogers

timmo

I saw them at the O2 last year and thought the same.  It was at the core of why I didn't leave the venue on a high, really.  He isn't Bernard - not his fault.  He massively overplayed - very much his fault.  A player of his calibre doesn't need to showboat and play for himself - he should play for the music. 

Got to agree... the (I think) 2013 Glastonbury gig was great, same bassist but really keeping things tight. Was very surprised this year and on NYE to hear him going way overboard. Even managed to get a DB751 Sound nasty when he hit the thing too hard...

42 minutes ago, timmo said:

Sorry about the S on the end.

I am wondering if a lot of musicians are unlucky. Instead of enjoying a show, musicians are seem to be looking to find fault. I don't tend to be too critical as I am not a good enough musician.

When the essence of something suffers, I think it's fair comment.

41 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

When the essence of something suffers, I think it's fair comment.

I understand the reason for being critical. Just that the general listener  listen to a band differently. I think non musicians just don`t hear what musicians do. I am in the same category. 

11 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Yeah, I thought the same. The bass player needed to chill a bit, i thought.

We had that bit before last time we were discussing chic, and I guess it is just down to what you want. I thought the bass was perfect, and couldn't think how it would be better.

The vocals on the other hand, not a fan of the 30 syllables in a word style of singing..

Agree that the sound/mix wasn't great.  Couldn't really hear Nile's guitar that well and when I could it didn't sound great.   What I DID notice was Jerry's bass sound!  I would die to get my jazz bass sounding that good in a mix.  A quick peek at his setup and he uses a Aguilar DB 751 with two DB 410 cabinets with D’Addario Pro Steels apparently.  The amp alone is £2500 so I won't be trying one of these anywhere soon!  It sounded like a punchy stingray when playing fingerstyle, then jazz crazy when slapping.   Such a deep and punchy sound.

13 hours ago, timmo said:

Sorry about the S on the end.

I am wondering if a lot of musicians are unlucky. Instead of enjoying a show, musicians are seem to be looking to find fault. I don't tend to be too critical as I am not a good enough musician.

Yeah the bar is higher but personally I can separate them well .I would have a different outlook going to see Rush then say First aid kit 

Nile was a good choice for a Nye party 

Just now, logicred said:

Agree that the sound/mix wasn't great.  Couldn't really hear Nile's guitar that well and when I could it didn't sound great.   What I DID notice was Jerry's bass sound!  I would die to get my jazz bass sounding that good in a mix.  A quick peek at his setup and he uses a Aguilar DB 751 with two DB 410 cabinets with D’Addario Pro Steels apparently.  The amp alone is £2500 so I won't be trying one of these anywhere soon!  It sounded like a punchy stingray when playing fingerstyle, then jazz crazy when slapping.   Such a deep and punchy sound.

Yeah the song or two I caught he had a lovely growl with a big mid thump .You never know how much the back line or desk plays in that though .

26 minutes ago, logicred said:

But how much of that is contributing to the sound you are hearing from your TV?

The broadcast signal path is probably Bass Guitar > DI > Digital Mixer > Multi-band Compressor.