Why become a member? ×

Nile Rogers

timmo

I'm probably going to be the only person on here who didn't like this. I'm not criticising the performance, I'm just really not into funk or groove.  I sat downstairs for about 40 minutes around midnight, and my niece was watching this, my dad watched some of a very ancient Queen concert, and we briefly watched the fireworks and some of the Jules Holland programme.

I thought personally the whole evening was poor musically. Even the music accompanying the fireworks was awful.

5 hours ago, ambient said:

I'm probably going to be the only person on here who didn't like this. I'm not criticising the performance, I'm just really not into funk or groove.  I sat downstairs for about 40 minutes around midnight, and my niece was watching this, my dad watched some of a very ancient Queen concert, and we briefly watched the fireworks and some of the Jules Holland programme.

I thought personally the whole evening was poor musically. Even the music accompanying the fireworks was awful.

This is pretty much spot on.

We put the TV on about 11.45pm and were flipping through a few channels.  Watching NR, you kind of knew that a) the BBC weren't going to cut until the last possible second and that b) NR had little intention of stopping a few minutes shy of midnight so that the BBC could cut to the Embankment for a bit of a firework build up.

I watched a few minutes of Jools Holland.  This show/format needs to be put out to pasture.

Chic and Niles Rogers are still a quality act. I watched some of this on a neighbours larger TV and with sound bar. They were almost in the room with us. IMO it was a great gig and I'm off to get myself a belated Christmas present! 

Haven't seen any other NYE TV yet. It's all waiting for me on the hard drive.

Its Nile. No, really.

P.S. I liked Trombone Shorty on the other side but most of the rest of it was pretty naff.  I nodded off during the tap-dancing Ed Sheeran set...

And even with a soundbar etc., the iffy audio on Nile Rogers and the absence of Bernard kinda took the shine off it for me.

13 hours ago, ambient said:

Which isn't actually live as such. It was recorded a couple of weeks ago.

I toyed with the quotation marks on live 😀  Must be a great night out in November, watching the same old faces again, pretending to count in the new year. All more talented than me, but it does seem tired.

• Like 1

I wasn't gigging last night and was really looking forward to Chic,,actually was thinking of getting tickets but wasn't willing to shell out well over,three hundred quid. Have to admit to not actually enjoying it, I know Niles uses top notch musicians but for me the rhythm unit was way too busy and the lead vocal over indulgent. Switched off and went to bed after the fireworks. 

Watched a lot of this without my budget soundbar running (which I think I didn't get until after Glastonbury - so I'm comparing both shows through equal equipment) and I think the Glasto gig was much better for sound mix, the performance and the vibe. In fact I couldn't hear much bass until I ran my soundbar (but then didn't really want anything running too loud in case I was disturbing my very elderly neighbour). I didn't enjoy Nile's guitar tone much either to be honest so I was pretty disappointed having really enjoyed watching Chic earlier in the year.

You have to remember that this was essentially a live gig in front of a live audience. The overplaying (really?) mentioned in this thread will hopefully add to the vibe/excitement for those at the gig. Having done many live TV shows over the years, I know that Nile and the band will be aware that the show is also being broadcast in to millions of homes and will possibly reign it in a little. To "stretch out" and fail at a live gig is one thing, but to "stretch out" and fail while being listened to/watched in HiFi by people in the comfort of their own homes is another.

Sadly, I think it's probably a sign of the times that the term "busy" could be applied to Chic/Nile Rogers NYE show.

9 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Sadly, I think it's probably a sign of the times that the term "busy" could be applied to Chic/Nile Rogers NYE show.

IMO it was busy to the detriment of the feel. He was all over the shop. I was surprised, as the guy's undoubtedly a pro but his taste filter seemed to be stuck in 'bypass'.

But then.. he plays bass with Nile Rogers, and he's never heard of me, so I'm sure he doesn't give a hoot what I think :-D

Edited by wateroftyne