Why become a member? ×

Best NYE Band?

YeastieB

1 hour ago, tauzero said:

Jose Feliciano was just as admirable as he was doing "Every breath you take". If I'd known being famous just required being stinky poo at singing and playing guitar, I'd have had it made years ago.

You should try listening to some of his recordings from his prime. His singing and guitar playing were really fine. He didn't become world renowned by accident.

I think you may find that some think Mr Barnes is a bit too "busy" for their liking. Having seen Chic on the telly at Glastonbury in 2013 and 2017 and also their Radio 2 concert in November I take a different view. I was also fortunate to see them at the o2 in October - it was great.

Gerry puts on a show and at least makes the bass a feature of the performance - anonymous bass player - perhaps not.  I like that. With the fella on the drums giving it the beans it gives the rhythm section a shove in the right direction. We as bass players do an important job - it's good when just occasionally this stuff gets a bit of visibility.

IMO they are a well-oiled machine - it's nice to sometimes just sit & watch pro musicians earning their wages - no fluffs, no moodies, a joy to watch.

They are simply good at what they do.

I flicked over to JH a couple of times, and soon went back to Chic - But then, I LIKE slick.................

:)

I love Chic and Jerry Barnes is absolutely top drawer. I just can't stand it when Nile Rodgers starts banging on about just how wonderful and successful he is. We all know that he is but its pretty cringeworthy watching him sing his own praises.

Caught some of it last night as they had the TV on for the fireworks at midnight and then after we finished - sounded amazing and looking forward to watching it on Iplayer later.

I've watched a couple of their sets on TV before, but last night sounded fantastic and as the OP said, the perfect band for NYE. I've yet to see them live, but really, really want to.

On the plus side, the rest of the band are now up for a Nile Rodgers medley 😎

Edited by Graham
Spelling

Generally I'm a classic rock/prog/metal sort of guy, but I absolutely LOVED Chic! The bass playing was a thing of beauty to my ears, the songs were fantastic and a big trip down memory lane, the musicianship was top notch and they were clearly all having a great time. It was a superb way to see the new year in. I'm not really into the whole firework thing, seen it all a million times before so I didn't watch, I'd have preferred them to play right through personally.

2 hours ago, mrtcat said:

I love Chic and Jerry Barnes is absolutely top drawer. I just can't stand it when Nile Rodgers starts banging on about just how wonderful and successful he is. We all know that he is but its pretty cringeworthy watching him sing his own praises.

Yes he does but I feel that is part of the show. At one point he asked people to raise their hands to signify if they hadn't seen Chic before and a significant number hadn't so I took it as part of the show

1 hour ago, Angel said:

Generally I'm a classic rock/prog/metal sort of guy, but I absolutely LOVED Chic! The bass playing was a thing of beauty to my ears, the songs were fantastic and a big trip down memory lane, the musicianship was top notch and they were clearly all having a great time. It was a superb way to see the new year in. I'm not really into the whole firework thing, seen it all a million times before so I didn't watch, I'd have preferred them to play right through personally.

I'm with you on that one. I thought they were great both in terms of the show and the sound. 

6 hours ago, mrtcat said:

I just can't stand it when Nile Rodgers starts banging on about just how wonderful and successful he is. We all know that he is but its pretty cringeworthy watching him sing his own praises.

I completely disagree with that. Seems a pretty negative stance to me but hey, we are all different and we are all entitled to an opinion.

2 hours ago, Angel said:

I completely disagree with that. Seems a pretty negative stance to me but hey, we are all different and we are all entitled to an opinion.

Don't think it's a negative stance at all but yes it's definitely my opinion. I love Chic but it just seems crass and needless to me for him to stand there telling everyone how successful he is. I'd put him in the same ballpark as Stevie Wonder in terms of brilliance but Stevie Wonder doesn't seem to feel the need to big himself up.