Why become a member? ×

Having to cancel a gig at short notice

Paul S

My little band had a gig scheduled for Christmas eve.  Booked by the guitarist, who is a lovely old fella and a great player who also does nearly all the booking.  The fee he arranged was our usual £250, which I thought was a bit low for a Christmas eve gig but, hey ho, not a big issue.  It was a pub we have not played at before but who regularly have live music so it would be nice to think we'd be asked back.

On the Friday before our drummer gets in touch and says he won't be fit for the gig as he had bad flu like symptom - dizzy, no voice, can't stand etc.  No dep available, so my impression was that the gig would be cancelled.  Shame, especially as it was a new venue for us but, well, stinky poo happens.

Guitarist then took it upon himself to track down a replacement band, stays up until 2am brokering a deal on some Facebook page or other for a last minute replacement.  However, the replacement band wouldn't turn out for £250, so guitarist offered them an extra £100, which he dropped round to them on the Saturday.

He was very pleased with himself for having 'saved the day'.  He said 'A lot of bands would have just phoned the pub and said the gig is off'.  Also mumbled something about 'the code' .

I am not that pleased about it, myself.  Finding a replacement I can see was a nice thing to do.  Paying the band extra money I think was totally unnecessary - if no band would do it for the money we had arranged then I guess it would have been a lesson to the pub to pay better money on Christmas eve.  Also the drummer now feels guilty (who would have thought - a drummer with a conscience :) )  that because he wasn't well the rest of the band now have to stump up some cash.  However, I am certain that if it were brought up he would say 'easy answer, find the gigs yourself' which is conversation I don't want to have.

So I ask the good people of Basschat - and the bad ones, too, if they'd like to contribute - what would you have done?

And are any of you in the band that had our extra money!? :)

I appreciate that your guitarist sorted out the replacement band but paying them an extra £100 was a bit silly, especially when the rest of you guys are having to stump up the money.

I personally would have tried to get a dep drummer (as he did), if no joy I would have contacted the venue to explain that due to illness we would not be playing.

It works both ways, if the venue say had a water leak just prior to the gig, they would drop the band without any hesitation or payment.

In my limited experience (two gigs cancelled this year due to band member illness) the pubs are pleased that you bother to let them know and don't just fail to turn up on the night!

In our case, and bearing in mind that we do this for fun and any income from gigging is a bonus, we offered to rebook for a reduced fee.  We also did our best to find another band, but were only able to for one of the gigs.  We’ve since played one of the pubs again and they didn't take up our offer of a reduced fee which was nice.

25 minutes ago, steantval said:

...an extra £100 was a bit silly when you guys are having to stump up the money. I would have tried to get a dep, if no joy I would have contacted the venue to explain we would not be playing...

This seems logical. I'm not in the band that had the extra £100, but I would surely have accepted it for playing on Christmas Eve!

I was once ill, and struggled to get a dep. Only guy I could get was from 50 miles away, and demanded more dosh than just his extra travel costs, which my band agreed to and then asked me for! Similar problem really I guess.

( Can't remember the outcome either TBH, so had better stop waffling.)

Edited by casapete

If the pub has heavily advertised the gig and was expecting more punters because of live music then finding a replacement was the right thing to do.

i earn some of my money from magic. If I can’t do a show I have to find someone else if at all possible. It’s the right thing to do.

Extra money - maybe. Depends on the type of show. 

2 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

i earn some of my money from magic. If I can’t do a show I have to find someone else if at all possible. It’s the right thing to do.

It's not like you can just pull one out of a hat I guess :).

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

If the pub has heavily advertised the gig and was expecting more punters because of live music then finding a replacement was the right thing to do.

Yeh, but you can just pull someone out of a hat, we can’t all do that 😀😀😀

Sh*te, Ambient beat me to that one.

Edited by steantval

Dep drummer was out of the picture - we do some very specific arrangements of stuff, not just standard covers.  £100 was covered by £50 out of last Friday's gig and the next one.  For me it is more about being presumptuous about spending the rest of our collective money.  I wondered if there was some sort of protocol I had previously missed with the talk of 'code'.  I'll ask him if he meant the Da Vinci next time I see him :)  

This is why a contract is a good idea. Most solo artists will have them because they don't have the luxury of spreading the cost in such a situation. We always use them and I'm sitting on my sofa with the wife this evening having been paid £380 for a gig that was cancelled by the venue tonight. They had a small fire this morning which has left them without power tonight. They have honoured the contract that says they pay the full fee for a cancellation within 48hrs. They'll claim on insurance and we still get paid. Our agreement says that we will either find a dep if we have a member sick or try to find a replacement band. If we can't do either we will provide a DJ for 50% of agreed fee (there's four of us that can do this) or find a dj and cover the fee (will never happen as we can pretty much all dj).

Contracts can save all manor of issues because everyone knows where they stand.

If the pub is a regular music venue , they will probably have numerous bands on their books 

It would not take the landlord / manager very long to do quick phone-a-round to find a replacement band .

Providing you let the pub know you are unable to to the gig , i dont think its down to you to find a replacement band , let alone stump up extra cash to entice another band to take the gig , although , fair play to your guitarist for finding a replacement band .

We cancelled a gig on the day earlier in the year as my dad became ill and was taken to Hull A&E - he's 93. We do specific arrangements so a dep would have been pretty difficult. The pub were relaxed and have rebooked us. 

This would all have been trickier had we been a function band or if we had been regarded as more of a "name" band, but then in those cases, formal contracts would probably have been in place per mrtcat's post.

32 minutes ago, DJpullchord said:

How ill do you have to be not to play? 

As a drummer you won't need to be too far off your best before it genuinely affects your performance. As a bass player it's easier to step back and just hold it down. Drumming requires far more physical input.

5 hours ago, fretmeister said:

I earn some of my money from magic.

I lose most of my money through magic. I get paid one day, and when I look at my bank balance 48 hours later, hey presto! it's all buggered off.

• Haha 3