Why become a member? ×

Bruno Mars - Live in Harlem

casapete

15 minutes ago, steantval said:

How the hell does the bassist play like that while dancing around all the time, was it possibly not live?

There was a bit with a slap section and he deffo didn’t play that bit live 🤨

Edited by AndyTravis

16 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

There was a bit with a slap section and he deffo didn’t play that bit live 🤨

I'm pretty sure they can do the stuff live- it was basically extracts from the touring show. Jamareo is a great player!

1 hour ago, Ceebass said:

I'm pretty sure they can do the stuff live- it was basically extracts from the touring show. Jamareo is a great player!

No doubt, he’s unbelievably talented. I just think that particular show wasn’t as live as I’ve seen them previously.

i actually turned it off after a bit as I don’t like some of his newer stuff.

Yeh I wasn't sure whether it was all completely live , probably some triggering going on there in places me thinks !

I agree that he is a talent ,  it just reminded me of how good Morris Day and The Time were in there day, could even give Prince a run for his money and he wrote some of there songs , anyways its all been done before , but still good to see .

35 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I didn't get that impression. Which song was that in?

Jamareo is super slick and I can't believe Bruno Mars would step into the hallowed halls of Harlem's Apollo and fake it.

Well. I’ll be 100% honest., Mrs T has partial deafness and we have subtitles on a lot.

Two 8 year olds in the house who have advanced reading ages mean some of the lyrics were a bit “grown up”.

I can’t remember the name of the song, wasn’t one of the hits. Deffo wasn’t 100% live - having done TV stuff previously, I could accept “lost in the edit” assumptions...but some of the sound didn’t sound “live”.

Another idea might be that due to the “show” element, maybe some of it was overdubbed later.

Was the band was playing live? I could be wrong but I don't think so.

The sound track definitely sounds "studio recorded". IMO definitely gone through a studio desk for mixing and post processing.

It's a show so for me that doesn't take anything away from the band, arrangements and performance.

I love the energy from anything Bruno Mars does. I wish my bands could raise 10% of that energy.

They were all on in-ears and there wasn’t an amp anywhere to be seen. That’s how stuff sounds today, especially with these Gospel chop type players. However, they might have used a backing track or two, but that’s gone on for years, a friend of mine engineered Dave Gilmour’s for him.

Edited by scalpy
Spelling

I enjoyed that, but I was a bit disapointed with the (broadcast) setlist - Treasure, Runaway Baby, When I Was Your Man, Locked Out Of Heaven, Grenade, The Lazy Song, Just The Way You Are, Marry You were all absent, I don't think he played anything pre-24K Magic?

11 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Well. I’ll be 100% honest., Mrs T has partial deafness and we have subtitles on a lot.

Two 8 year olds in the house who have advanced reading ages mean some of the lyrics were a bit “grown up”.

I can’t remember the name of the song, wasn’t one of the hits. Deffo wasn’t 100% live - having done TV stuff previously, I could accept “lost in the edit” assumptions...but some of the sound didn’t sound “live”.

Another idea might be that due to the “show” element, maybe some of it was overdubbed later.

Dude I noticed that in a couple of tunes but it was plain to see in that song with the slap and pop where he was just doing finger style while dancing. So yes there were some backing tracks for some songs, I believe he was playing in those songs where there were no dance routines involved. Great stuff though.

Edited by Mcgiver69

On 2/1/2018 at 00:17, AndyTravis said:

The last bit is quite common ,few bits of tidying up after the recording .