Why become a member? ×

New Year's Eve Gigs

Bluewine

Essex pub gig 1/2 hour from home for me :-) Easy load in, decent pay and no volume or hazer machine issues there so we can use all the lights and lasers and put on a bit of a show.

We play there about 4 times a year normally and its a small but fun venue - good owners, friendly crowd and decent door staff.

I'm looking forward to it but not sure what the turnout will be like as they've had a couple of really good bands there on Friday and Saturday and i wonder if the regulars may be a bit spent out....

46 minutes ago, Mudpup said:

Essex pub gig 1/2 hour from home for me :-) Easy load in, decent pay and no volume or hazer machine issues there so we can use all the lights and lasers and put on a bit of a show.

We play there about 4 times a year normally and its a small but fun venue - good owners, friendly crowd and decent door staff.

I'm looking forward to it but not sure what the turnout will be like as they've had a couple of really good bands there on Friday and Saturday and i wonder if the regulars may be a bit spent out....

Don't get to hung up on crowd size. Sometime it's out of your control and not your fault.

If the crowd is thin please don't let it effect your performance or attitude.

Play your heart out.

Blue

I was booked to dep with a blues band for a NYE gig in Oxford - the venue cancelled yesterday afternoon due to 'lack of ticket sales'. Obviously too late to pick up anything else, and both myself and the band had turned down other offers for tonight as we believed we were sorted. 

I'll just wander down my local and have a pint instead. Won't be the same, though :(

Small country pub (barely larger than my through lounge) up in the Chilterns, where we'll be playing for not much more than our regular fee.

The pub will make a loss on having us, and we could earn more elsewhere, but this will feel like the band is having a private party.

Anyway, last night's gig was big and fun so tonight being small and cosy works for me.

9 hours ago, Bluewine said:

New Year's Eve Gigs

Any new exciting gigs tomorrow?

Let's talk about it.

Blue

IMG_20171227_065113.jpg

Good to see you Blue and also to see you're following the latest ethos of not displaying headstock logos since the recent debate (debacle?) here 😁😂😂

NYE gig is a posh pub with eating in a fashionable high tech part of Kent. As all of our band are generally in various other bands, some of which had previously accepted NYE gigs, we have two deps in the line up. I believe we have to play 3 hrs, finishing not too long after Jools Holland's chimes of Big Ben - should be fun. Mostly old soul stuff, which is always fun on bass. 

Very staid dinner dance at a large hotel for me. Not my idea of a great gig.......BUT!

It is 5 mins from my front door, we set up at 4pm but don't have to return to the venue until 9pm, very well paid

and it's 2x45 min sets (one either side of midnight) and we're finished by 1am.

Playing in a band put together by friends, which we do every NYE so no grief with deps/egos etc.

Our brief is to keep the audience happy by playing stuff they want to hear, so it can be anything from strict tempo / ballroom

type material through to Maroon 5. 

And yes, there'll be music stands involved at some point.....

Happy 2018!

We got asked to play at short notice on NYE in our local pub. Had 4 rehearsals developing a dancy 3rd set and then last week the pub called it off. They are still paying us our fee, are most apologetic about it and will book us again in 2018.

Ironically I have woken up this morning with a virus causing dizziness and nausea  so may have had to bail anyway!

Same pub for the third year running, and a strict 12.00 finish due to noise constraints (but the pub's open until 1).

If it's as good a s he last two years it'll be great fun with a great party atmosphere and whilst not a great payer, more than we get when we gig there during the year. It's only a small venue and they don't charge or ticket it so we don't feel as if they are taking the mick in any way. We got the gig originally because another band turned it down for not paying enough: their lead guitarist then spent the night watching us and spending his money in the bar. Go figure.  As a blues band we were surprised they asked but they took a punt on us and it worked out really well, we chucked in a few party standards and everyone was happy. This year they even advertised it as "becoming a NYE tradition" which I thought was very nice. If I can get next year on the way out I will. I'd rather do it than watch Jools.....

so we played a seafront bar in hastings last night 

and tonight we are at a local social club all tickets sold

should be another cool evening

that said got home at one this morning unpacked basses,and then a early setup for tonight,

I am bloody knackered,still would soon moan if I wasn't playing, 

hope you all have a good one