Why become a member? ×

Small monitors

xgsjx

23 minutes ago, bazzbass said:

picking speakers based on looks is crazy stupid. Buy the best sounding ones within your budget and grow some balls and put your foot down ffs

I'll be picking based on both looks and sound.  It's on hold just now, so the criteria may change.

• 4 weeks later...

Don’t mean to stoke the fires of GAS here… but I heard a pair of these monitors in use the other day and my goodness, they sounded amazing! Clarity like I’ve never heard before.

Unity Audio The Pebble

Currently discounted at Gear4Music to £979… which is a lot more than most would want to pay (myself included), but is damn good value for a pair of sealed cabinet monitors that usually retail at around £1500.

Gah!!!!

giphy.gif

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Bleat said:

These ESI Unik + are superb monitors, what I am using now... and ....come in official Basschat colours! what more could one want ? :D

18 hours ago, ambient said:

Genelec 8010.

They're tiny but magnificent.

Good recommendations guys.

And let's not forget that a lot of this comes down to price bracket. The old recommendation that you should "spend as much as you can afford on monitors" rings true; followed by "and then spend the same again on acoustic treatment". Big difference in quality between monitors sub-£500 and those upwards of £1500. But whether your room allows you to hear that difference is another matter ;)

Some amusing thoughts on this from Mike Senior over at SounOnSound:

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/sounding-monitors

"...a large number of home-studio owners spend more on cheese than they do on monitors and acoustic treatment, and, despite the importance of good dairy products in everyone's diet, I think this is a false economy... monitoring and acoustic treatment may be dull as digital dither through a low-pass filter, but unless you can hear what you're doing you'll be haemorrhaging money, time, and engineering skills."

Edited by Skol303

25 minutes ago, Skol303 said:

Good recommendations guys.

And let's not forget that a lot of this comes down to price bracket. The old recommendation that you should "spend as much as you can afford on monitors" rings true; followed by "and then spend the same again on acoustic treatment". Big difference in quality between monitors sub-£500 and those upwards of £1500. But whether your room allows you to hear that difference is another matter ;)

Some amusing thoughts on this from Mike Senior over at SounOnSound:

https://www.soundonsound.com/people/sounding-monitors

"...a large number of home-studio owners spend more on cheese than they do on monitors and acoustic treatment, and, despite the importance of good dairy products in everyone's diet, I think this is a false economy... monitoring and acoustic treatment may be dull as digital dither through a low-pass filter, but unless you can hear what you're doing you'll be haemorrhaging money, time, and engineering skills."

That couldn't ring truer with me.  We spend a bloody fortune on cheese!  The Mrs probably spends more a month on cheese than I've ever spent in a year on music!  :o