Why become a member? ×

Entwistle Neodymium pickups

Dazed

2 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

I bought one from them last month, just emailed and asked :D. It's a stock item in some Revelation basses so ask Sutherland Trading if Wrexham can't help.

Already have 3 of those beauties so I'm good.

Wow - didnt know that. They dont seem to be listed on the Entwistle site when i looked

I guess your way is the best way to get hold of them

Edited by fleabag

I think he's the guy i bought mine from, and he used to sell them on Ebay. I dont see him selling them anymore on Ebay though.

Even that last one i posted about earlier, has been sold. In fact, it was Wrexham Guitar, but according to his auction, it was the last one.

I dont use mine anymore so i'll get it in the For Sale forums soon

On 04/01/2018 at 14:50, fleabag said:

You may have trouble with that. I did a search for PBXN's and only found 1 for sale in the UK, and that was his last one. There's none on the Entwistle site, as he's stopped making them, i believe

I bought that "last set" a couple of weeks ago and it never arrived. He says it must have been lost in the post.. Lame

30 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Wrexham had one PBXN on Ebay, and its the one i posted about earlier when i said i only found one for sale

in the UK, and that one sold pretty quick, probably to someone here ?

It's still showing as "last one left " on the Wrexham page. Wonder if it's the same one Chris bought that got lost in the post ?

10 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

It's still showing as "last one left " on the Wrexham page. Wonder if it's the same one Chris bought that got lost in the post ?

That is strange, as it was in my watch list, and it was listed as ' last one'  then it got sold.   Unless he's making it look like he only has one, but has more and selling them one at a time

On 06/01/2018 at 14:58, fleabag said:

That is strange, as it was in my watch list, and it was listed as ' last one'  then it got sold.   Unless he's making it look like he only has one, but has more and selling them one at a time

He says he's sent me a replacement. If it arrives and is actually a PBXN, he either forgot to send the original order, or there is more than one left. I'll post here when it comes.

Even if they aren't available in any shops, they may still be possible to source. I managed to buy a pair of neodymium humbuckers by going direct to Entwistle :)

FWIW, I put some in a project P bass a while ago, and yes they are very big depth-wise. Various ways around it - dig out the routing deeper or shim the end of the neck pocket to to make the strings lower to raise the saddles thereby increasing the height of the strings off the body and ultimately higher over the pups. 

Nothing bad about them, very lively and punchy but all I can say is if you want your P bass to sound nothing like a traditional P bass then buy some. 

23 minutes ago, LITTLEWING said:

FWIW, I put some in a project P bass a while ago, and yes they are very big depth-wise. Various ways around it - dig out the routing deeper or shim the end of the neck pocket to to make the strings lower to raise the saddles thereby increasing the height of the strings off the body and ultimately higher over the pups. 

Nothing bad about them, very lively and punchy but all I can say is if you want your P bass to sound nothing like a traditional P bass then buy some. 

I didn't have to alter anything, but if you like the pickups very far from the strings you may sometimes need to do something, indeed. I put foam under the pickups, and it gets pretty compressed!

26 minutes ago, chrismuzz said:

I thought it was just the plastic covers that were oversized. Couldn't you just buy smaller ones on eBay for a pound and use those?

The original plastic covers have the larger 'ears', yes, and buying a set on eBay with the smaller ears solves that... and they are available in a variety of colours! :P

But they are also taller. The polepieces are longer than normal. Not crazy long, but they are longer. As I said, I didn't have to remove wood or anything in the basses I've used them on (3 basses by now), but you may have to use less foam... and if the routing happens to be shallow to start with I can understand how in some rare cases it may need a little work with a chisel.

It's a bit like the J-Retro preamp. It fits most Jazz basses... but from time to time you find one where you need those extra 2-3mm or something... and it becomes annoying if you are not handy with a chisel. The vast majority are ok, more or less tight, but ok.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I forgot to reply here sorry dudes!

I received the pickups in the end. Interestingly the pickup covers are no longer removable like on the other two sets I purchased. They might just be glued on but I'm not brave enough to rip them off just yet!

The PBXN I bought was the last one the guy had. I spoke to someone at Entwistle to ask if they had been discontinued and I got told "definitely not". They just don't have enough demand currently to make more but they will be coming back!

44 minutes ago, chrismuzz said:

They just don't have enough demand currently to make more but they will be coming back!

They should put the price up, they'd have plenty of interest then! ;) Very much enjoying the Entwistles on my Jazz bass. They're the ceramic ones, not the neo ones, but they're just amazing. Really nice single-coil vibe. They sound more like Jazz bass pickups than, er... Jazz bass pickups. Or something.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Zombie thread alert......

I have a pbxn on the way, hoping it will fit my Fender p bass(I remember buying one years ago for my Squier and it was too tall for the cavity), I currently have my go to Seymour Duncan SPB-2 in the bass and it's a great pickup but I would like to try a pickup with a bit more grind in the high frequencies as the Duncan has a lot of low and high mids but virtually no treble.

I might not keep the pickup in there but I figured for £30 shipped it was worth the gamble.

Anyone care to comment on how this pickup sounds tonally,was so long ago since I had one that I can't remember, interested to hear what its tonal bias is (mid focused, treble focused etc)

On 10/07/2022 at 13:38, hooky_lowdown said:

Use the search function. I recall someone did a sound demo comparing the pbxn with a quarter pound.

I've always likened the sound to a SD Quarter Pound. 

I feel it's very similar but with more pronounced mids, definitely an in your face modern vibe, no classic 60s P bass with the PBXN's.